Page 1 of 2
Hi everyone.

Not sure if there is a good place on the forum to ask this but guitar mates, according to you what is/are the best pop or rock songs to play alone in a pub environment ?

I'm trying to build a 3 hours set, and the aim is to play with a fender strat or an acoustic guitar...

Thank you for your replies
Fender Strat US'10 3 tone sunburst
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
Mesa Boogie Road King 2 Head
Mesa Boogie Simulclass 2:90 Stereo Poweramp
LEM G80 2x12 vertical cab
Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 Cabinet
SR TECH JAM 150
I don't gig, but I'm guessing anything which is played by acoustic guitar alone (since electric alone is pretty unusual), so it sounds right and doesn't sound like you're not playing half the song.

off the top of my head, time of your life by greenday is pretty much only acoustic, I think. More than words by extreme as well. They're both pretty well-known as well, I think, so that might help.

To be with you by mr big might work too, though it has bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are you going to sing or just play the guitar?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ good point, i totally didn't think of that I was assuming he was singing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ed Sheeran probably has a huge library of acoustic pop songs that everyone seems to like. Can't go wrong with stuff like Stairway to Heaven or Knockin' on a Heavens Door either.

But may I ask, whose idea was it to book a three hour acoustic set? Because that gets boring really fast. I've been at energetic, professional shows that felt too long at two hours, sitting and listening to a singer/songwriter is something that'll keep the audiences attention for maybe an hour. I'm pretty sure that a three hour set is way, way too long, for both you and your audience.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
Ed Sheeran probably has a huge library of acoustic pop songs that everyone seems to like.

Not everyone
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Kevätuhri
Ed Sheeran probably has a huge library of acoustic pop songs that everyone seems to like. Can't go wrong with stuff like Stairway to Heaven or Knockin' on a Heavens Door either.

But may I ask, whose idea was it to book a three hour acoustic set? Because that gets boring really fast. I've been at energetic, professional shows that felt too long at two hours, sitting and listening to a singer/songwriter is something that'll keep the audiences attention for maybe an hour. I'm pretty sure that a three hour set is way, way too long, for both you and your audience.

Hi everyone, so basically yes i'll be singing, and for the three hours set, it will be more like 3 sets of 45 minutes with a 15 minutes pause between them.

Nice answers so far by the way
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
The answer is... none of them. Do a mixture of Hank Williams, classic Americana, Irish music, etc. Here is your list:

-House of the Rising Sun
-Black Mountain Rag (instrumental)
-Move it on Over
-Shady Grove (minor)
-Trip to Sligo/Lark in the Morning
-Finnegan's Wake
-Seven Drunken Nights
-The Rocky Road to Dublin
-Whiskey in the Jar
-Rare Auld Mountain Dew
-Good Old Mountain Dew
-Will the Circle be Unbroken
-Jambalaya on the Bayou
-Cold, Cold Heart
-Wayfaring Stranger
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
The Wailin' Jennys and Casualties of Cool (a Devin Townsend project) do a pretty thing. ^^

The top 100 charts on UG may help a bit if you are limiting yourself to pop/rock. (I almost added an extra "o" to the penultimate word. >.>
^ Wow, coldplay *and* ed sheeran in the top 10? What a time to be alive...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ Wow, coldplay *and* ed sheeran in the top 10? What a time to be alive...

I seem to recall that you like dad rock.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
^ That's not fair, it probably qualifies as grandad rock these days

Quote by NeoMvsEu
You can leave the condescension at the door, thanks.

Not condescension, merely expressing an opinion on what I like. I like plenty of mainstream stuff, just not that stuff. You're the one who mentioned a devin townsend side project... the songs i suggested above were very mainstream indeed i'd have said (and I like them a lot).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 2, 2015,
^ It's honestly impossible to tell what sort of negative response you're trying to sell by an embarrassment smiley on the Internet. You may not like them, but many people do. (And for the record, I'm on the warm side for Ed Sheeran's music.) I was giving the OP some alternatives that had the acoustic guitar in mind, both popular and not-as-much. I'm not passing judgment on your choices, and neither is anyone else except for blanket statements, mostly in jest.

Having said that, I honestly have to echo theo; I knew two of the three songs and only one by name. X)
Glad to cross paths with you on this adventure called life
Quote by Jet Penguin
lots of flirting with the other key without confirming. JUST LIKE THEIR LOVE IN THE MOVIE OH DAMN.
Quote by Hail
you're acting like you have perfect pitch or something
depends on what kinda pub. you can go country/bluegrass/folk or you can go top 40

personally i wouldn't play most country stuff without a band accompaniment. like rock, it's gonna feel pretty empty a lot of the time. there are plenty of acoustic-vocal songs, but when you're gonna be playing 40+ songs, not a lot of variety.

if you go the top 40 route, make sure to throw in everything from the early 2000s. green day, wonderwall, anything you'd expect to hear on a "new oldies" station
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
First of all, thanks everyone for your answers.

Quote by Hail
depends on what kinda pub. you can go country/bluegrass/folk or you can go top 40

personally i wouldn't play most country stuff without a band accompaniment. like rock, it's gonna feel pretty empty a lot of the time. there are plenty of acoustic-vocal songs, but when you're gonna be playing 40+ songs, not a lot of variety.

if you go the top 40 route, make sure to throw in everything from the early 2000s. green day, wonderwall, anything you'd expect to hear on a "new oldies" station

Well, the pubs and events I'm aiming to are places where people in their 20ies to 40ies go to share a drink & listen some good pop / rock music.

Once in Scotland I saw a man and his telecaster play & sing alone with some backing tracks and I found it really good.

Before I started this thread I built a pretty good list of tunes I'll arange to be played with my strat or acoustic guitar plugged in my voicelive 3 to add vocal FX like harmonies or doubling.

- Semisonic = Closing time
- Seven Mary Three = Cumbersome
- Nickelback = Photograph
- Counting Crows = Mr Jones
- Theory of a deadman = I hate my life
- Cracker = Low
- Foo Fighters = My hero
- Lenny Kravitz = American Woman
- Oasis = Supersonic & Wonderwall
- Some of my personal tunes (4 or 5)
- Seal = Crazy
- The Connells = 74 - 75
- The verve = Lucky Man
- Limp Bizkit = No one knows what it's like
- Lynyrd Skynyrd = Simple Man
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
First off find a club where you'll want to play. Go there and hang out. I play clubs (bars, restaurants etc.) regularly. If the average age on a Saturday night is 40 years old they won't know Ed Sheeran from Ed Sullivan or Coldplay from that cold beer they are drinking. You have to play for the audience (if you want to work continuously). If there are other performers who play there already go listen to them and see what they do. Are the songs they are playing getting over or is the crowd more interested in the baseball game on the TV? See what works and what that crowd responds to and doesn't. Remember that your song choices should be what "they" want to hear, not just what you want to play. We make compromises in order to work on a regular basis and the biggest one is playing stuff you may not be crazy about but your audience recognizes and responds too.

If it's just you and a guitar play popular well known songs, stuff easily recognized. Upbeat stuff. Only the occasional mellow tune. It's supposed to be a happy atmosphere. Keep 'em smiling and you'll keep working. It's a job not an deep artistic experience and your part of that job is to make people stay to have just one more drink. When you are doing it well you'll also have a great time trust me on that.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 3, 2015,
also an alternative is to play a bunch of elliott smith and bright eyes if you're not into making people happy and instead inspiring self-mutilation and drug addiction
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Rickholly74
First off find a club where you'll want to play. Go there and hang out. I play clubs (bars, restaurants etc.) regularly. If the average age on a Saturday night is 40 years old they won't know Ed Sheeran from Ed Sullivan or Coldplay from that cold beer they are drinking. You have to play for the audience (if you want to work continuously). If there are other performers who play there already go listen to them and see what they do. Are the songs they are playing getting over or is the crowd more interested in the baseball game on the TV? See what works and what that crowd responds to and doesn't. Remember that your song choices should be what "they" want to hear, not just what you want to play. We make compromises in order to work on a regular basis and the biggest one is playing stuff you may not be crazy about but your audience recognizes and responds too.

If it's just you and a guitar play popular well known songs, stuff easily recognized. Upbeat stuff. Only the occasional mellow tune. It's supposed to be a happy atmosphere. Keep 'em smiling and you'll keep working. It's a job not an deep artistic experience and your part of that job is to make people stay to have just one more drink. When you are doing it well you'll also have a great time trust me on that.

Really good advice.

I did that search for the 2 places I'll play in at first, as the owners already gave me their word, and that's how I came with the list I gave in my last post.

I'm trying to gather a lot of tunes so I won't be trapped if the people don't respond well to my performance as for me giving a good time to the audience should be the number one preoccupation of any musician (sorry for those who only like to play in their attics)
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Rickholly's advice is great.

I dunno, I haven't done a cover band in forever. My band just improvises for 3 hours .
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
kevin: I know most of those songs you listed there (including the original versions of some of those ), but according to some of these guys I'm too old.

Quote by NeoMvsEu
^ (a) It's honestly impossible to tell what sort of negative response you're trying to sell by an embarrassment smiley on the Internet.

(b) Having said that, I honestly have to echo theo; I knew two of the three songs and only one by name. X)

(a) making fun of myself. we use that smiley all the time to suggest that in the gear forums. maybe it doesn't translate in here, sorry.

(b) man am i that old?

Quote by Hail

good call, i forgot wonderwall

Quote by Rickholly74

+1, you gotta play for the audience.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't note any specific artists or songs because it all depends on where you live. I have a good idea what works in my area but not every area is the same. In my neck of the woods (New Jersey) there is not much call for anything country except older country stuff. It also depends on what works with just an acoustic and solo vocal. There are sites you can go to that may help like some of these.

http://www.guitarhabits.com/50-of-the-best-acoustic-guitar-songs-of-all-time/

http://nashvillemusicianssurvivalmanual.com/Blog/?p=1351

If the song sounds old, corny and something you are sick of hearing because it's so overplayed, it's probably perfect for the bar crowd.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
In my neck of the woods (New Jersey) .

i have the perfect song for you to add to your set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCu_wd_bulw
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
If you want some drums and base you can bring out Guitar Hero and play that.
Quote by SilkCord
If you want some drums and base you can bring out Guitar Hero and play that.

No I had too much tuning problems with the controller, the lower frets were not in a good shape...

I'll just take some GP files, export them with midi, open the midi in cubase, and apply some good drum & bass VSTs to create good backing tracks.
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Hmmm... Pub Songs?... Oldies and newbies...

(in no particular order)

But it was not your fault but mine.... and it was your heart on the line... I really fucked it up this time... didn't I my dear?

Give me one good reason Why I should never make a change...

So wake me up when it's all over, when I'm wiser and I'm older...

I get knocked Down... but I get up again, and you're never gonna keep me down!

The looove shack is a little old place where, we can Get toGetheerr!

I'm blue da ba dee da ba die... da ba dee da ba die

Why you gotta be so rude? Don't you know I'm human too? (I'm gonna marry her anyway)...

(all right all right all right all right)... Heeeeeey Yaaaaah.... hey yah....

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies...

OOOOH!! we're half way there (air) OOh Oh, living on a prayer (air)

Because I'm happy clap along if you feel like a room without a roof...

Happy are you sad... I'll do anything I can It's the wrong way... believe me shit was tight, It was the wrong way...

Yeah the drums they swing low, And the trumpets they go... (if you got the range?).

It's been a loooong day without you my friend, and I'll tell you all about it when I see you again... (^same)

But I Stiiiiilllll Haven't Founnnnd What I'm Looking For....

Don't you go out in the ray-ee-yain... doon't go out, in the, poouuring raiiiiin!

And the bells are ringing out... for Christmas day...

And through it ALLLLL, she offers me protection, A lot of love and affection... I'm loving angels instead.

Here she comes now singing mony, mony... (hey mutha #%*@, get laid Get *&$%!!!....)

I got a feelin... that tonight gonna be a good nite...

She's up all night to the sun, I'm up all night to get some... I'm up all night to get lucky!

Well I guess what you say is true, I could never be your woman.

Look at the stars, look how they shine for you... they were all yellow.

All the other kids with the pumped up kicks... you better run... outrun my gun!

Cheers to the freakin' weekend, I drink to that (yeah yeah)... Oh let the Jameson sink in...

If I go crazy then will you still call me Superman... with my superhuman, might
Kryptonite.

And I was like, hi my name is, whatever you call me, so let's get undressed, cause you look a little lonely...

With arms wide open, under the sunlight, welcome to this place I'll show you everything... (hate that song!!!)

Good thing... Where have you gone (doo doo doobie doo) ...you've been gone too long

Hey soul sister, ain't that Mr. Mister on the radio... I don't wanna miss a single thing you do tonight...

This woman is my destiny, She said, "Ooh-ooh-hoo, "Shut up and dance with me"...

Well there's your first Hour! Haha ...
Kevin, I have been working live with midi tracks for more than 20 years to augment my band. We went from a four piece to a two piece and for us it's working fine with the midi help.. I use an old version of Cakewalk (Pro Audio 9, the last version before it became Sonor). I play the midi files through Roland Virtual Sound Canvas software on a notebook out to a USB interface into our mixer (PA). Cakewalk has a feature called Jukebox that allows you to make sets of songs or just bring up a list of all your midi tracks. Just scroll down the list, stop on a song and hit the spacebar and your midi starts. Since I started making my midi files before they were so readily available on the internet most of my stuff is my own creation with just the basics (bass, keys and drums) but you can get as fancy as you want. Depending on what sound generator you use to play back your midi files it can sound really big and full.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by Kevätuhri

Time to join the covers scene dude. Obviously the gig will be him chilling in the corner to entertain the punters while they have a drink.

As the pub will have certain times when they're most popular ie. Fri/Sat nights, Sunday arvos and after work drinks, often the band will play to meet those hours.

Playing less than 3 hours on the covers scene is pretty uncommon.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by kevin.nedelec.9
First of all, thanks everyone for your answers.

Well, the pubs and events I'm aiming to are places where people in their 20ies to 40ies go to share a drink & listen some good pop / rock music.

Once in Scotland I saw a man and his telecaster play & sing alone with some backing tracks and I found it really good.

Before I started this thread I built a pretty good list of tunes I'll arange to be played with my strat or acoustic guitar plugged in my voicelive 3 to add vocal FX like harmonies or doubling.

- Semisonic = Closing time
- Seven Mary Three = Cumbersome
- Nickelback = Photograph
- Counting Crows = Mr Jones
- Theory of a deadman = I hate my life
- Cracker = Low
- Foo Fighters = My hero
- Lenny Kravitz = American Woman
- Oasis = Supersonic & Wonderwall
- Some of my personal tunes (4 or 5)
- Seal = Crazy
- The Connells = 74 - 75
- The verve = Lucky Man
- Limp Bizkit = No one knows what it's like
- Lynyrd Skynyrd = Simple Man

The only problem with most of the songs on this list is that, unless you have some sort of drum machine at the least, most of the listeners aren't going to find these songs as..."big" as they're used to. They're mostly rock songs, and rock songs rely on the power of a 3-4 instrument (or more) band. Most folks will hear those songs, recognize the melodies or rhythms or whatever, but not find it as satisfying. You won't get a good response that way.
I would really recommend picking some simple folks songs or simple Indie guitar songs or something similar to Ed Sheeran or whatever. You're 1 person with a guitar, not a full band. Take songs that won't require you to strip them down much, strip down what little you need, and play those songs.
I don't think of playing bar/pub gigs as making an artistic statement, it's about using your abilities to play, sing and perform and hopefully make some (non-taxed) cash. If you take that couple hundred dollars you make every month and use it to buy yourself some new toys (guitars, amps etc.) you'll feel a whole lot better about playing cover songs. Sometimes it sucks and sometimes it's tremendous fun. Either way it's a great learning experience, a confidence builder and a way to continue buying new gear that maybe otherwise you couldn't afford.

A lot of people (me included) need to have a part-time job to make things comfortable. Mine is playing music. Good hours, good pay, you work for 40 minutes and take a 20 minute break every hour and you can drink and party. Pretty good part time job.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
The only problem with most of the songs on this list is that, unless you have some sort of drum machine at the least, most of the listeners aren't going to find these songs as..."big" as they're used to. They're mostly rock songs, and rock songs rely on the power of a 3-4 instrument (or more) band. Most folks will hear those songs, recognize the melodies or rhythms or whatever, but not find it as satisfying. You won't get a good response that way.

Agreed.

Maybe look up some unplugged versions? There are quite a few actually quite famous unplugged versions of electric songs (off the top of my head, layla is one, and bon jovi does a pretty cool unplugged version of livin on a prayer), maybe they'd be worth looking into? You wouldn't have to do any more work than learning the electric version since all the conversion to unplugged has been done for you, and if they're popular they're possibly popular for a reason.

Admittedly, most of those probably still have multiple instruments going on.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think some of you guys are missing the point. The music isn't meant to be big or satisfying - it's just there for ambience. There isn't meant to be big drums or beats, loud noises etc - if there were, the venue owner wouldn't have gotten a solo acoustic artist.

I think all OP has to do is play the songs to the best of his ability, and the audience will be fine.
Soundcloud
What if his abilities aren't very good though?
Quote by AlanHB
I think some of you guys are missing the point. The music isn't meant to be big or satisfying - it's just there for ambience. There isn't meant to be big drums or beats, loud noises etc - if there were, the venue owner wouldn't have gotten a solo acoustic artist.

I think all OP has to do is play the songs to the best of his ability, and the audience will be fine.

yep probably.

just if he decides to play stuff which is either already acoustic-only, or stuff which is already arranged for acoustic, a lot of the work is already done for him, he won't have to do the arrangements himself.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^^ Sure, but it's not that hard to take a popular song, boil it down to it's chords, and arrange it for acoustic guitar. People will enjoy it just because they know the song.

Quote by theogonia777
What if his abilities aren't very good though?

He likely won't be booked again.
Soundcloud
I agree with Allan. If you can come up with strong basic arrangements of familiar songs the audience will accept that it is just an acoustic and vocal and will enjoy it for what it is.

Although I don't do solo work any more I did for a few years and here's a few things I learned. (My personal observations) I'm sure there are others here on the forum with similar experience that can help with other ideas.

1. When you are new to doing solo work I recommend that you establish a fast pace and occasionally go directly from one song to another (in fact as often as possible). Try to avoid long gaps between songs. The more time you pause between songs the more you look uncertain about what you are doing and you will encounter requests, which is not always a good thing when you are first getting started and don't have a large repertoire of tunes.

2. If you are going to play something a bit more obscure play something very recognizable before and after.

3. Until you are comfortable with what you are doing avoid having people "sit in". It's a no win situation for you. If they suck you'll be blamed and if they are better than you, you will end up looking bad. You worked hard to get the gig and practiced your ass off. Don't let someone blow it for you or use your time to audition to take your place.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ Sure, but it's not that hard to take a popular song, boil it down to it's chords, and arrange it for acoustic guitar. People will enjoy it just because they know the song.

Yep, agreed.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by AlanHB

Part of that is picking songs that are appropriate for acoustic guitar OR arranging songs to fit acoustic guitar. Just picking a bunch of big rocks songs and going with them isn't going to cut it. OP has to do the work to make them sound good in this setting.
^^^ You can make any song sound good for the acoustic guitar. If it doesn't sound good, it's because the arrangement isn't good. It's not the song or the acoustic guitar's fault - it's the person playing it.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ You can make any song sound good for the acoustic guitar. If it doesn't sound good, it's because the arrangement isn't good. It's not the song or the acoustic guitar's fault - it's the person playing it.

still, something like wonderwall is invariably gonna be easier to assimilate than, say, master of puppets (without it sounding like a bad joke)
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Page 1 of 2