Hi,

Wednesday during bandrehearsal my guitar fell and now there is a dent on the neck around the second fret.

Someone told me it doesn't matter but today somebody told me it could get worse and that the neck should be replaced...

Can someone give me advice and tell me what I should do?
Attachments:
received_825987180852764.jpeg
Last edited by xena.schaeken at Aug 1, 2015,
Quote by xena.schaeken at #33527809

Someone told me it doesn't matter but today someone told me it could get worse and that the neck should be replaced...

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I’ve played lots of old guitars with chunks missing from the necks. They’re fine.
Quote by jpnyc
I’ve played lots of old guitars with chunks missing from the necks. They’re fine.

me to. that is just finish blemish so it should affect teh actual neck anyways. unless the damage goes into the actual wood then not a biggie. may feel a little weird there when playing but you'll get used to it and evenyaully ignore it.
Doesn't really matter. Proper thing to do would be to sand the neck down, fill it and refinish, but only if it bothered you.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 3, 2015,
That looks to be cosmetic damage only. Most people would be upset for that reason, but would learn to accept it as part of wear and tear.

If it really bothers you - I have not tried this myself - the StewMac bulletins have shown that flakes of lacquer (assuming your is a lacquer finish) can be dissolved in to the existing finish using lacquer thinner. After that it can be sanded flat and re-polished. Some of their examples look like new.