Who uses or doesn't use Volume pedals? I play PnWorship on the weekends were a volume pedal is treated almost as a necessity to get those swells. I recently took my Boss fv_500 off my board (great pedal, but big IMO) and forced myself use the volume knob on my guitar instead. I found with my dd20 that I could still produce nice swells with the infinite repeats option. What do you guys think? is there really anything you can do on a volume pedal that you can't learn to do with a guitar knob.?
I don't own a volume pedal. Never really saw the point...partly because I don't generally do volume swells.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I have the fv300, , I just have it at the very end of my chain, in the loop, tucked behind my amp. I just use mine to go from jam volume to night time practice volume. I got it in a trade soley cause I thought it was looked cool but it's turned out to be quite useful for me, if I don't change modules I barely fiddle with my amp anymore.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by brenton393
is there really anything you can do on a volume pedal that you can't learn to do with a guitar knob.?
With a pedal you can change the placement in the chain. That can have a big impact on tone.
A volume pedal also works the same way regardless of rig. Some guitars have control knob arrangements that are less conducive to doing swells, like Telecasters. Swells are THE reason Bill Kirchen modifies his the way he does.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Not really one for the volume swells. If I'm changing the volume to get a tone between my amp's clean and OD setting, then I'll use the pot. And if I need to kill the signal entirely, I'll switch on the polytune.

As much as anything else, I like to keep my pedalboard simple. Tuner, wah, phaser and delay. And the amp footswitch.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I have a volume pedal in the effect loop, before the modulation pedals. I don't do much swelling with it, it's basically to control my overall volume when I'm switching from certain satured tones to certain clean tones (my guitar has an active piezo pickup, while the magnetic pickups are passive), or when the song requires the guitar to remain at low volume to make room for other instruments.

For this reason, I chose a volume pedal that allows me to setup min and max volumes separately.

I wasn't sure such a pedal was that useful before I bought one, but now I couldn't do without it.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
Last edited by Yuka66 at Aug 2, 2015,
I use a volume pedal.

I use the tuner out so that my tuner is on all the time. I can lower my volume with the pedal, kill it entirely, still tune with it off/on. I just like it. And it does come in handy when you are very active on stage. Also it lets you use your hands for playing guitar when and your foot to adjust the volume, which I find to be necessary sometimes. I have a solo boost on my splawn, but sometimes I need more or lesss volume on my clean channel. So it really helps.

I like it.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
I have a VP Jr 25K in my FX loop. It's nice to do volume swells and keep the same amount of gain/distortion going. Kicking on a digital delay I get a nice ambient Russian Circles-esque tone.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I have a volume pedal as the first thing right after the guitar, and I use it mostly for two reasons: the first one is that I'm a hopeless volume swell addict (put on a spacey reverb, two delays... what, it's been an hour already?), the second is that at times it's much handier to control the guitar volume and amount of gain with the pedal, particularly in sections when I really need to fine-tune the gain so it's just right between being too messy and too quiet/subtle. It's also far easier to do a smooth volume reduction with the pedal rather than the knob, unless I have wooden hands or something.

An even cooler thing is that while doing volume swells with a bit of gain, you can have even more control like this, and reduce the distortion you get during the volume swells you do with the volume pedal by turning down the volume knob. Can be really handy if you want to get increasingly more dramatic or subtle.

Oh, and it's a Boss FV-500H, and besides being really comfortable to use, it would make for an effective self-defence weapon in case of an alien invasion or something.