Hey everybody this is my first post here and I have a dilemma. I need a new amp for metal and rock. I need a amp thats bigger than a 20 watt. I think a 40 watt with a 12 inch speaker would suit me fine. The current amp I have is a Fender mustang I v.2. Its 20 watts with a 8 inch speaker. What I'm wondering is the sound quality on the Fender mustang II a step up or is it just a louder model of the 20 watt mustang? I need a amp that sounds nice with distortion/overdrive but also needs decent cleans too. Am I better off getting a different amp for Metal/Rock? I would be willing to buy used amps too if the 40 watt model is no better. I can also say my budget for a new amp would be 200-350 dollars. Also I'm located in the US if that helps any. Thanks in advance for the help everyone.
Peavey Vypyr series would be better for metal tones. now as to wattage do you plan on playing in a band? if so then you'll need higher wattage than 40 most likely. the other thing you may wnat to consider is some kind of tube amp depending on the sound you want.
I'm not in a band. I just feel like a 20 watt isn't enough for me and I'd prefer a 12 inch speaker. I would go up to a 100 watt but it wouldn't be practical for me. I'd like to stay below 100 watts if possible.
Staying below 100 watts should not be on your list of things to do.
Loudness does NOT increase linearly along with power. Believe it or not the difference between 6w and 25w is about as big as the difference between 25w and 100w.

There's more to it than that of course but if you're thinking that 50w is good, but 100w is too loud then you're misunderstanding the science.

To add to this - tube watts are measured differently from solid state.
If you're looking at solid state amps then you're generally going to get pointed toward 60-75w for live use, but for tube amps it's generally between 25-30w.

The easy answer that most people get when they come here is the Tube Vypyr. It is a hybrid modeling amp that has a full complement of vacuum tubes. it comes in 60w and 120w versions and either one should be fine to play a show. It sounds better than most solid state amps and it's particularly good at modelling a few common metal tube amps such as the 6505+.

You don't need to take my word for it - I'm just telling you what people have told me.
Yep, a Peavey Vypyr will be enough for you ATM.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Yup, what you want is the Vypyr VIP 2. 12" speaker, 40W, $200. And it sounds like a real amp. I have both, a Mustang 1 and the VIP 2. The difference is considerable.
Quote by Tyler0987
Hey everybody this is my first post here and I have a dilemma. I need a new amp for metal and rock. I need a amp thats bigger than a 20 watt. I think a 40 watt with a 12 inch speaker would suit me fine. The current amp I have is a Fender mustang I v.2. Its 20 watts with a 8 inch speaker. What I'm wondering is the sound quality on the Fender mustang II a step up or is it just a louder model of the 20 watt mustang? I need a amp that sounds nice with distortion/overdrive but also needs decent cleans too. Am I better off getting a different amp for Metal/Rock? I would be willing to buy used amps too if the 40 watt model is no better. I can also say my budget for a new amp would be 200-350 dollars. Also I'm located in the US if that helps any. Thanks in advance for the help everyone.

Have you looked at Vox VT 40+? I really like mine it's awesome tone wise and pretty affordable too.
Gear
Jackson DK2
Ibanez RGR320EX
Guild X82 Nova
Godin Seagull S6

Vox V847
Vox VT40+ / VFS5 VT

Quote by FatalGear41

Right now, there are six and a half billion people on earth who don't care what kind of tubes you have in your amplifier
Last edited by Willowthewitch at Aug 3, 2015,