I have a strat type guitar, HSS configuration, swamp ash body, maple neck, i am looking for a VERY versatile pickup selection, i am looking for something that will allow me to play a little bit of EVERYTHING, i know thats a little broad of a description but... i really do want something that will allow me to play Metal/Hard Rock, Rock pop, blues, funk, fusion, clean enough for nice crisp chords....

so far i am considering dimarzios "the tone zone" for bridge an area 58 or similar for middle and i have no idea what to get for neck.... suggestions???

thanks...

PD. Also, this is NOT my main guitar, this is like my emergency tool in case my main guitar should fail... (Main guitar is HSH config totally different woods...)
Last edited by Deth_send at Aug 3, 2015,
There is no magic bullet here.

Most of what defines the tone of a given genre- and your tone as well- is the amps and effects and how they are used. Pickups only provide the final tonal tweak.

There ARE pickups out there that are more versatile than others, like the Seymour Duncan P-Rails. But even they won't let you deliver convincing tones typical of all those genres.

So while you need to examine your pickups, your amp and effects selections demand more scrutiny.

That said, I'd probably go with a Lace Alumitone Deathbucker in the bridge and 2 standard Alumitones in the middle and neck positions. Noiseless, clean, and fairly can handle most stuff reasonably well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 3, 2015,
Bridge:Seymour Duncan TB-6
Middle:SSL-1
Neck:Hot Rails or JB jr or Little '59

Metal,rock,blues,and vintage sounds.It could work.
I used to have an area '58 in the neck of my strat copy and I loved it.
For your metal bridge pickup, I would second the alumitone or the TB-6.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
My recommendation is a Bareknuckle Holy Diver in the bridge plus Irish Tours in neck and middle, or a Blackhawk in the bridge plus two Cobras in the neck and middle.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have decided to go with the lace alumitone for the bridge, the reviews are insane, have not seen a bad one yet, and it sounds like is VERY versatile... now i just need middle and neck...
I don't like the lace pickups. Kinda strange sounding.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
do you want the singles to match the full bridge humbucker or to match it when split?

do you want a regular single coil for the neck or a single coil-sized humbucker?

what's your budget?

what's your amp?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ugh...people have great things to say about the new keisel lithiums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnJDuceirIM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e361_-NyJcs
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Jason Lee has rockstar/anime hair, to be sure!

I didn't know the Keisel pickups were being sold as parts. Definitely a decent option.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!