I rarely used my whammy bar but within the last few months I thought I would try to utilize it to learn something new. I don't know if my bridge is just cheap or what but I haven't taken it out in a those few months. I went to unscrew it and now it won't turn. I can see the what it screws into and it is just turning with the bar. I think it's time to just change it out it's over ten years old and wouldn't mind an upgrade. Any suggestions? Can I install close to any tremolo bridge in this thing I want? Or does it have to be pretty much the same? Could I do let's say a floyd rose?
Thanks,
Tyson
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
OK, so, googled your guitar. Looks like a vintage 6-point trem, so a Floyd would be a lot of work. It'll need a bigger cavity for the sustain block, holes for the mounting posts, some routing on top, and a new nut(which won't be a 'drop in' replacement).

This is representative of 'what you have'

This is representative of 'what you'd need for a Floyd'

(Images snipped from Warmoth's 'build your own' tool thingamajig.)

So I'd advise something in the vintage 6-point line.
Dude. You are awesome. I guess I will just get a replacement for what I have. When I am palm muting the screws dig into my hand so I might need to get one with a contoured edge. I can pretty much get any 6 point? I see them ranging from 10-150 dollars. I don't see much difference between the two.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Quote by tysona23
Dude. You are awesome. I guess I will just get a replacement for what I have. When I am palm muting the screws dig into my hand so I might need to get one with a contoured edge. I can pretty much get any 6 point? I see them ranging from 10-150 dollars. I don't see much difference between the two.
I haven't spent a lot of time looking at vintage trems, tbh. I think there isn't a huge variety in string spacing or the screw placement, but it's worth bearing in mind before you commit to buying anything.
Cheaper ones are made of cheaper materials, which could affect tone and sustain. Don't cheap out, but that's not an instruction to buy the most expensive thing you can find.
I'd take the bridge apart. Not much holds it together and I'm sure you'll be able to get it out I've done it before just measure the distance of the screws on the tremolos claw (thing that holds the ground wire and springs)

what it comes down to is
the saddles which since they are adjustable to any height don't matter which way they are
the base plate
the block
it's super easy to take them apart, not many tools needed and with sleep deprivation or forms of inebriation you could do it. Just don't lose any of the screws.

you MIGHT get lucky and remove the old whammy bar or get it out, I'd even try WD-40 if I could but if it's stuck in the block (bottom portion) you may be able to get it out , worst case scenario it depends on how much you love the guitar the cheap 10$ ones will probably work but if you love the guitar get the higher end ones like the roller ones or this is an amazing bridge if it fits.

comes in black, chrome or gold , brass blocks bring strats to life. So many will go ssssssssssssnake oil the second they see the phrase brass block as they are very popular on floyd rose guitars but I know many professional musicians who aren't tone deaf that swear by them so they are worth the extra money. Plus steel parts will last way longer than some 10$ weightless zinc ebay bridge that you may be lucky to intonate. Perhaps the roller bridge the ebay seller Bezdez has too, but just make sure you get the right string spacing for the screws that hold the bridges base plate to the guitar. Again it's super easy and anyone on the forum can do it.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Chrome-Spaced-Import-Made-in-Mexico-BRASS-BLOCK_p_1158.html
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Aug 3, 2015,
does the trem arm tread in or is it just a push in one?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
It threads in and now the outside part that it threads into is just spinning and I have to use excessive force to turn it. I didn't want to force it unless I have a replacement because without this guitar I don't play and that is not an option at this point. I am confident in my mechanical abilities. Just not experienced in guitar building and parts.