What chords are in the first 5 seconds of this album? Gilbert is just playing a whole note scale. The bass, guitar and drums wash out the piano that is playing chords. I'm just wondering what chords they are and how did you figure them out?

Or is it just barely possible to figure out the chords and am I not alone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ1ODg-HN50

EDIT: I'm listening to them on my audio technica studio monitor phones. It makes it somewhat clearer but still it's barely possible.

EDIT2: Link substituted with just the song I want to know
Last edited by liampje at Aug 3, 2015,
First listen I hear a whole tone scale. The track goes for a hour. Please find just the opening track if you want just the chords. I don't want to waste bandwidth loading the video (on mobile data).

Edit: Right, you already know it's whole tone. That in itself already suggests a few possibilities. Next step is to work out the bass part for the context.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Aug 3, 2015,
I see where you are heading with this.

I think the bass is:

A------3--2-------4--3-------
E---1-------5--4---------0--0

Not sure about the second to last open E.

I really have no idea what this relates to with the whole tone scale. I can see lots of half steps. Which seems weird because the guitar is playing a whole tone run. It has the same rhythm as the guitar part, that means that the guitar and the bass always perform an interval with each other.

Should I figure out those intervals? Because intervals make chords. :P
If you want to figure out the chords, just transcribe every part and put it together. That's pretty much all there is to it.
Quote by GoldenGuitar
If you want to figure out the chords, just transcribe every part and put it together. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Then how do I transcribe the piano part as I do not hear it.

How do I make suggestions from the guitar and bass line as to what the piano might be playing.
What is it with you and all these questions?
If I have to hold your hand through everything, maybe you aren't cut out for this kind of work.
Look, I'll make this simple for you:
The chords are
G7 C7 B7 Amaj9 Gdim Dbmaj9 C9sus4 Fmaj9 E7.

Most of the time the 3rds are not there, so they technically don't form proper chords. So I really shouldn't be calling most of these 'chords'.
Honestly, in this context (being the intro) the chords mean nothing.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by liampje
Then how do I transcribe the piano part as I do not hear it.

How do I make suggestions from the guitar and bass line as to what the piano might be playing.

Gotta learn to selectively listen to it, dude. We can't help you use your ears to hear the piano.

Edit:
@GoldenGuitar: Not to be an asshole, but I was kind of hoping you'd make TS do the work.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Aug 4, 2015,
not my style (so why am I posting this then? ) but for what it's worth I had a crack at it (acknowledging GG has already listed the Chords) and this is what I came up with (by just using my ears), perhaps the voicings I drearied up might be of some help (some are better than others), but as for minor or majors etc... I would stick to GG's advice...
e|-1----3----5----7----2----4----6----8----5---|-
b|-0----2----3----9----2----4----6----8----5---|-
g|-2----4----2----8----3----3----7----9----4---|-
d|-3----3----3----9----4----4----8----10---5---|-
a|------3----2----8----?----4---------8----5---|-
E|-3--------------5----4---------8----1----0---|-
Last edited by tonibet72 at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by GoldenGuitar
What is it with you and all these questions?
If I have to hold your hand through everything, maybe you aren't cut out for this kind of work.
Look, I'll make this simple for you:
The chords are
G7 C7 B7 Amaj9 Gdim Dbmaj9 C9sus4 Fmaj9 E7.

Most of the time the 3rds are not there, so they technically don't form proper chords. So I really shouldn't be calling most of these 'chords'.
Honestly, in this context (being the intro) the chords mean nothing.

Okay, but just giving the chords, I start to wonder, how do you hear the piano? Do you just keep repeating the piano part untill you hear it well enough?

You guys always make it seem like you just listened to it once and already know it exactly. Or did you have to work it out more intensely? I can absolutely not hear that there are no 3rds at all. I am trying to listen to a piano that is playing more chords at the same time while at the same time being barely present in the mix.

Maybe I am looking for some secret trick/technique to figure it out while there really is no secret technique and it's just listening to it infinite times till you got it right. Maybe it's just a skill that requires a lot of practice. If someone can confirm this.

If something is well in the mix I can hear it and figure it out at ease. If something is too soft I can barely listen to it.
Honestly it's really hard to hear the piano, and piano's my main instrument. Write one note down at a time, though, and fill out the notes you can year.

Anyways.

Fadd9 Cmaj9 Bm7 E/G# | G#9sus4 C#maj9 C9sus4 Fmaj9 | E9su4
Attachments:
PG.gp5
Quote by liampje
Okay, but just giving the chords, I start to wonder, how do you hear the piano? Do you just keep repeating the piano part untill you hear it well enough?

You guys always make it seem like you just listened to it once and already know it exactly. Or did you have to work it out more intensely? I can absolutely not hear that there are no 3rds at all. I am trying to listen to a piano that is playing more chords at the same time while at the same time being barely present in the mix.

Maybe I am looking for some secret trick/technique to figure it out while there really is no secret technique and it's just listening to it infinite times till you got it right. Maybe it's just a skill that requires a lot of practice. If someone can confirm this.
Allow me . I can certainly confirm that's how it was for me. It's a skill like any other, learning to focus your hearing, to discriminate pitches and timbres. And sometimes you do have to go over and over it, note by note.
I was crap when I started, now I'm better.

Of course, I have always used technical assistance. 2-speed tape decks in the old days, software now. Not to tell me anything, but to help me listen.
Quote by jongtr
Allow me . I can certainly confirm that's how it was for me. It's a skill like any other, learning to focus your hearing, to discriminate pitches and timbres. And sometimes you do have to go over and over it, note by note.
I was crap when I started, now I'm better.

Of course, I have always used technical assistance. 2-speed tape decks in the old days, software now. Not to tell me anything, but to help me listen.

What software do you use?
Liam,

Ever think maybe you're starting too far up the hill from where your present abilities lie? What do you expect really? Does this sound like anything you've studied or done previously? Have you grabbed some Steely Dan records and studied Walter Becker and Donald Fagen?

If not, then, maybe you're not ready to graduate to this level of analysis yet. Do you even play piano?

What I'm saying is there ARE going to be things that are outside your pay grade and to "earn" those insights, you're going to have to gradually work your way through less complicated pieces, and gradually add to your repertoire.

How far through Berklee's Harmony books have you made it through so far? What about Mark Levine? Maybe focus on guitar parts, and add piano if you can manage it, but if you can't then maybe either immerse yourself into playing piano, and understanding it from up close rather than a distance, with an elaborate repertoire that moves into jazz, or just really get a lot further advanced with specific ear training, or the like.

You're not doing bad, but, be realistic. Just because you can dribble a basketball doesn't mean you're ready to dunk like Jordan. We want you to be realistic. If you can't do it, you can't do it yet...keep pushing. If you are ready and have put in the work it will be there.

Sometimes piano and strings elude me too depending upon the mix, but I don't epect myself to know the piano chords, if they are played with 10 fingers and all I play with is 4....what am I expecting really, unless I am a piano player? I can get the general idea of most, but at some point, I'm just being unrealistic if I'm expecting to be able to do things that I know are outside anything I've personally been exposed to previously.

I just think you're a little too far away from your present abilities. That said, you've come a long ways, but keep it real.

Best,

Sean