View poll results: title
yes
33 77%
no
10 23%
Voters: 43.
Page 1 of 2
Legally? Nope.

Morally? Depends on the morality. In some cultures it's not only justifiable, it's required.

Personally? I voted yes, because I can imagine circumstances wherein I would undertake revenge.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911 at #33531083
Legally? Nope.

Morally? Depends on the morality. In some cultures it's not only justifiable, it's required.

Personally? I voted yes, because I can imagine circumstances wherein I would undertake revenge.

this
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
My gut feeling is to say no, but then I also think depending on the circumstances it can be understandable/relatable/excusable/forgivable, and I'm not sure how much that make it actually lean towards yes again.
An eye for an eye.....

....feels so GUD

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Any question that asks is X thing justifiable.
The answer is yes everytime.
ANYTHING is justifiable.
It can be understandable & relatable but on its own it's never a sufficient cause to do something

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I don't see myself as getting out of the way just to undertake on a revenge.

I could, however, "counter-attack" someone if the situation called for it.

What I mean is, I wouldn't plan for it, but if there was a situation where a counter would be basically handed to me, I'd gladly take it.

All this only if I felt it worthy though.
Define revenge, justifiable, action, and ever.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Can't a sports team take revenge on another team that beat them? That's revenge that society celebrates
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I voted no because by undertaking revenge it would mean violating my own moral code. If someone does something to me that I don't like or that I find immoral, I would try not to stoop to their level by seeking g revenge by getting back at them equally or by going all out. It doesn't sit right with me. I am sure there are instances where revenge could be justified, but I personally wouldn't seek revenge.

I think it gets complicated when the justice system is involved. Is punishing a crime on behalf of the victim by the state a form of revenge? I think it could be considered that way and I have no problem with this. But personally seeking revenge at my own hands when I am biased against the person? No, it seems wrong.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Guitardude19
I voted no because by undertaking revenge it would mean violating my own moral code. If someone does something to me that I don't like or that I find immoral, I would try not to stoop to their level by seeking g revenge by getting back at them equally or by going all out. It doesn't sit right with me. I am sure there are instances where revenge could be justified, but I personally wouldn't seek revenge.

I think it gets complicated when the justice system is involved. Is punishing a crime on behalf of the victim by the state a form of revenge? I think it could be considered that way and I have no problem with this. But personally seeking revenge at my own hands when I am biased against the person? No, it seems wrong.

So you like your revenge served by crowds rather than individuals?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
So you like your revenge served by crowds rather than individuals?

In a sense yes, on the caveat that a jury of peers has access to evidence that can lead to a conviction based on laws in an impartial manner, or as close as. If someone does me wrong, I won't be able to react in an unbiased manner so we need systems in place to deal with it in an unbiased manner.
^ I would like to think the point of the justice system is to help discourage people from doing bad things. I don't think of punishment and revenge as the same thing - punishment is a corrective measure, whereas revenge is just "getting even". I'm not super sure on my definitions here because there's overlap, but to me correcting behavior by making sure there are repercussions for offensive actions is a good thing, but simply making someone suffer for your own satisfaction because they wronged you isn't a good thing. To me there's a line there somewhere between the two, it can just be hard to define, which is where the justice system comes in to do the job.
Im pretty sure calling the judicial system rehabilitation is just for tradition at this point.
Quote by The4thHorsemen
^ I would like to think the point of the justice system is to help discourage people from doing bad things. I don't think of punishment and revenge as the same thing - punishment is a corrective measure, whereas revenge is just "getting even". I'm not super sure on my definitions here because there's overlap, but to me correcting behavior by making sure there are repercussions for offensive actions is a good thing, but simply making someone suffer for your own satisfaction because they wronged you isn't a good thing. To me there's a line there somewhere between the two, it can just be hard to define, which is where the justice system comes in to do the job.

I agree with you and I would reiterate an earlier point I brought up: That a justice system might be thought of as some kind of state sanctioned revenge in the sense that it takes agency away from the wronged party and is then able to by rule of law apply a punitive sentence on a perpetrator. From the victims point of view this can be seen as a fork of revenge imo, but from a societal view I agree with you; a justice system should be punitive and offer rehabilitation to a perpetrator.
Yes, otherwise our species would cease to exist in a short amount of time. Unchecked abuse ruins entire systems, physically and mentally. If you can't figure out what's right and wrong, someone else will assuredly do it for you. Ya can't remain neutral on a moving train, etc...
SGT. HARTMAN: Where in hell are you from anyway, Private?
COWBOY: Sir, Texas, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Holy dogshit! Texas! Only steers and queers come from Texas, Private Cowboy! And you don't look much like a steer to me, so that kinda narrows it down!! Do you suck dicks!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: Are you a peter-puffer!?
COWBOY: Sir, no, sir!
SGT. HARTMAN: I'll bet you're the kind of guy that would fuck a person in the ass and not even have the goddamn common courtesy to give him a reach-around! I'll be watching you!!
Revenge the TV series was totally unjustified.

Revenge on a person or group of people is only justifiable if it involves a genuinely epic quest, with hardship, privation, and a straight-to-bargain-bin DVD telling the story starring whoever the current generation's Steven Seagal is.

Note that the title of said movie must be in the format that the advertising can go "name of washed up, slightly porky looking star> is <name of movie>", for example, "<Steven Seagal> is <Out For Justice>".
Revenge is only remotely justifiable if it's immediate, and again depends on the context. Why I say it has to immediate is because humans and all other living things actually don't 'recognise' retaliation properly unless it's immediate, which means a well thought out revenge plan can have half the intended effect of immediate action.

Of course, both sides following that mentality usually ends in someone taking a trip to a hospital.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
If you take the last beer out of the six pack I bought from the fridge, you can bet your bottom dollar I will have my revenge
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
If you take the last beer out of the six pack I bought from the fridge, you can bet your bottom dollar I will have my revenge

Mmmm, but it's so cool to the touch and refreshing to the palate. Mmmm.
Last edited by wafflesyrup at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by ErikLensherr
Define revenge, justifiable, action, and ever.

yeah
Quote by wafflesyrup at #33531327
Mmmm, but it's so cool to the touch and refreshing to the palate. Mmmm.

Sleep with one eye open so I can cut it out of your head and force feed it to you
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
There are only 3 ways I'm aware of that concepts of things such as justice, revenge, etc etc are decided

1) by an inividual, if one feels their revenge is justified then it is.

2) by majority and groupthink of John Q Public

3) by an individual or relative small group of individuals with an amount of power over society. This way is the final decider in all of these types of questions.

Basically might = right as it's always been

It's understandable why people create fictional magic men in the sky to be moral arbitrators of the universe
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Aug 3, 2015,
Quote by Guitardude19
I agree with you and I would reiterate an earlier point I brought up: That a justice system might be thought of as some kind of state sanctioned revenge in the sense that it takes agency away from the wronged party and is then able to by rule of law apply a punitive sentence on a perpetrator. From the victims point of view this can be seen as a fork of revenge imo, but from a societal view I agree with you; a justice system should be punitive and offer rehabilitation to a perpetrator.

Interestingly, this is why a state which 'sponsors' killing, torture and maltreatment is hardly distinguishable from the past rulers we like to shrug off as just a long forgotten period of our past.

All of those deaths and suffering at the hands of what seem to us as sadistic rulers, the witch hunts and inquisitions at the hands of an outdated Church... fundamentally they were the same as our own institutions in the fact that they held the authority and legitimacy to carry out these acts where as the rest of society was punished for doing so.

The difference is that while they normally claimed that said legitimacy was given to them by God or something like that, our institutions claim that it was handed to them by the people - key 'step forward' was not about morals or our society progressing past sanctioned killing, it was about our society just reorganizing the way it justifies violence and the way it organises this justification.

Granted most 'developed' countries have already done away with torture and the death penalty, we still need to address the idea that our penal systems are there to punish, to worship the same illusion of justice as we did centuries ago.

Until that is achieved, the progress made will remain more beaurocratic than ideological.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Bass Builder
The best revenge is overcoming the feeling of needing it.

Thanks Flanders
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Aang: The monks used to say that revenge is like a two-headed rat-viper. While you watch your enemy go down, you're being poisoned yourself.

Zuko: That's cute. But this isn't Air Temple Pre-School. This is the real world.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2