I have heard a few people say the G&L Tribute is as good or better than an American Strat. It took me all day but I finally found a semi-local G&L Dealer but until I can get down there I was wondering if any of you had the chance to play a G&L and could comment on the sound and ease of play as compared to a stratocaster.
the tributes have MIA G&L electronics, but the bodies/necks are made in indonesia. I'd say the average body/neck is about par with the nicer MIM strats, but a MIA strat with a nice nitro finish and rolled fretboard edges is probably going to be/feel a bit better.

i have a tribute asat, and i wouldn't really put it as "better" than a typical fender MIA. it sounds as good or better imo, but the feel of the neck/body is a bit plasticky feeling compared to a thin nitro american tele.

not bad, just different. i prefer a nice thin finish that wears without looking like it's broken glass where it gets dinged.

the legacys i've played have been really nice guitars as well. i do prefer the G&L 2 point trem to a fender 2 point. just preference though.
Thanks for that input, I was playing an American Deluxe Strat today and everything on that guitar is just SO smooth, it is incredible. I think a fair amount of that is the rolled fretboard and just the general care in finish they use on the frets and fretboard. I wish it wasn't quite so expensive but it is still several miles short of a Gibson in that regard.
i can say that when it comes to "S" and "T" styled guitars, i am a fender guy.

i have two MIM strats and three MIA teles.

i have played G&L's and they are nice guitars, they are just different. they don't have the feel/mojo for me like the fenders do. maybe you could consider fender to be a little less refined.

play them both, see what you like.

what is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I've had multiple of each, Legacies and Strats. They're different animals in feel, it really depends on what you want out of the guitar. If you like more modern sounds, perhaps for use with a versatile style or are covering songs from the 90's and newer, I'd go G&L. It's beefier, the PTB makes more sense with fitting in a live mix, and the tremolo is more stable when under heavy duress.

If you have a lighter touch, want more vintage sounds, or prefer the smooth and wavery surf-style tremolo, go with the Stratocaster. G&L's can get close to the sound, but in the end, if you're after the Fender sound then just get a Fender.
I actually found a local G&L Dealer yesterday. I am going down there on Tuesday and play a couple and see what I think.
Try out a Comanche if they have one.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I have a half dozen or so USA Comanches on my watched lists on eBay and Reverb. One day, I'll pull the trigger on one...

Sweet guitars.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Sunfist
I have heard a few people say the G&L Tribute is as good or better than an American Strat. It took me all day but I finally found a semi-local G&L Dealer but until I can get down there I was wondering if any of you had the chance to play a G&L and could comment on the sound and ease of play as compared to a stratocaster.

The American Strat is a better guitar overall and sounds exactly like a Strat should- plus the resale value holds up. Ease of play is subjective, so try some out to see if you prefer the G&L.

If you are looking to have the classic Strat sound, just get a Strat if your budget permits.

Once you get into the higher price ranges other manufacturers beat Fender - such as Xotic, Suhr, Musicman etc. But at the price point of the American Standard there is no better Fender-style strat guitar.
Last edited by reverb66 at Aug 10, 2015,
I prefer G&L. Their necks feel better. The ash ones are pretty stellar. Their single coils sound a bit weak, but that can be remedied.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky (JB+59) > TC Polytune Noir > TS808 clone > DOD 250 > Modded RAT > CH-1 > GE-7 > TC Flashback > Plexi Clone