Disclaimer: I am a grad student, which should tell you all you need to know about my budget. I don't have the money for pedals or stomp-boxes, and am looking for something that will work as a catch-all and give me what I want in a private setting, or smaller venue live stuff.

I've gotten a good 10 years out of my Line 6 Spider III but the motherboard has decayed to the point where the thing is unusable for any more than 20 minutes at a time. So, I'm looking for something new.

I've considered the Spider IV, as I've heard mostly good things. However, the digital sound of the thing and the potential for decay (considering the thing's pretty much a computer) leave me reticent. As such, I'm considering treating myself to a better-quality amp without all the built-in effects (I really have no use for anything above 75W, btw) and a Floor Pod PLUS board or something.

With that in mind, does anyone have any recommendations? I play on a PRS SE Custom and mostly do metal and prog, though I enjoy experimenting all across the board.

Thanks!
If I was you I'd look into the fender mustang and the peavy vypyr amp models. I have played with em both and they are not bad at all. But the peavy was the best of the 2 for metal imo.
Vypyr 2 or 3. It has a bunch of effects so you won't need a whole lot of pedals, plus it's idea for metal/rock.
Spiders are complete garbage. Look for a used Vyper Tube 60.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr sounds like the way to go, then -- thanks for the feedback so far!
If you've got (or are going to have) a Pod XT or X3 Live (used they're pretty inexpensive), all you're going to need is a powered speaker. One that I've seen a lot of is a Carvin PM12A, a single 12" speaker, a 1" tweeter and 400W RMS power. It's a bit over $300, a bit under 30 lbs and you can use it as a floor wedge or put it up on a speaker stand, depending on what you need. Don't let the wattage bother you; you're not going to blast anyone's socks off unless you really want to. What you have is a very compact, lightweight rig with a wide range of amp/cab/FX settings (courtesy of the Pod).

The Vyper has a tube power section, but it's solid state in the preamp section, and it weighs right around 65 lbs.
Vypyr has built quality issues.

It's best to get a fender mustang (highest release number) instead.
Quote by sfx

It's best to get a fender mustang (highest release number) instead.

Bunk.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by sfx

Such as?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Vypyr is notorious for qc issues since years ago, not sure if they've addressed it since then.

google for 'Vypyr qc problems' and you get quite a number of hits on the issues discussed.
Quote by sfx
Vypyr is notorious for qc issues since years ago, not sure if they've addressed it since then.

google for 'Vypyr qc problems' and you get quite a number of hits on the issues discussed.

I have not heard of them having any big issues in the last 7-8 years that I have known of them.
I know one guy who had the Tube120 2x12 and the preamp fried after 3-4 yrs of extremely heavy gigging, and he bough another because he like the 1st one he had so much.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I owned a Vypyr 75 and I had huge issues with firmware problems.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have not heard of them having any big issues in the last 7-8 years that I have known of them.
I know one guy who had the Tube120 2x12 and the preamp fried after 3-4 yrs of extremely heavy gigging, and he bough another because he like the 1st one he had so much.

Same here. Peavey amps in general are pretty good in terms of QC, and i see very few people with them posting with issues.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The only thing we've really seen in here is firmware problems, easily fixed.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
The only thing we've really seen in here is firmware problems, easily fixed.

yeah, it is just a re-boot to fix it, an insanely hard thing to do for some I guess
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Most of the time a simple reboot will work. In order to actually update the firmware you need to connect it to the internet. You will need to connect a certain 7 pin (I believe) MIDI cable to USB to your computer.

But yeah - we don't get too many 'My Vypyr is broke' threads.

(from the web site)

Peavey Vypyr Updater

In an effort to constantly improve our products and designs we have created the VYPYR Updater.The VYPYR Updater is an application designed to upload firmware updates to your VYPYR. In order to upload the sysex information to your VYPYR you will need a USB to MIDI converter capable of transferring system exclusive information.

While we have made every effort to ensure the Updater is compatible with most USB to MIDI devices we have verified its functionality withthe following products:

M-Audio USB Uno
Edirol UM-1SX
Turtle Beach MIDI USB cable

Here is what you need to do.

Create a VYPYR folder on your desktop.
Download the file vypyrUpdater2_61.zip and PeaveyVypyr1_59.syx to the same folder.
Connect your MIDI device and install the appropriate drivers if necessary.
Make sure your MIDI cable is connected to the Remote Switch jack on your VYPYR, AND the correct port on your MIDI to USB device.
(Note: On some units the correct output jack on the MIDI to USB device may be labeled IN, try both if it doesn't work!)
Open the VYPYR Updater program and follow the instructions.
The STARTUP HELP wizard (will open automatically on startup) uploads some files automatically so it is important to use the STARTUP HELP wizard and follow the on-screen instructions.
Use OPEN FIRMWARE and UPLOAD code from the top menu only after the initial code update.

Download Files

Vypyr Updater Instructions
vypyrUpdater2_61.zip
PeaveyVypyr1_59.syx

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 6, 2015,