#1
Hey guys, today at practice with my Mark V combo. I notice that it seemed like it was "lacking" in volume, that the amp was getting physically hot to the touch, and that I could even smell a little burning smell. I'm gonna trouble shoot with the amp more tomorrow, but could the tubes possibly be starting to go? I've had the amp for 4 years and haven't changed the tubes (I usually play a practice amp at home because the Mark V is way too loud). Could I have also have been maybe pushing it too hard?
#2
Yeah, absolutely. Power tubes can redplate themselves to death in their final days.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
My band
#3
heat and burning smell on amps is not something to mess around with. if it overheats you could do some damage to the amp.

its probably the power tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"


Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.


Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.



****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
#4
Ok is there a way for me to test to see if it is the power tubes? Also is changing power tubes easy aka could I do it by myself?

EDIT: I'm probably gonna take it to a Mesa Boogie recommended repair service near my house, but if it is the power tubes I'm gonna order them ahead of time.
Last edited by schecter ftw at Aug 4, 2015,
#5
Just buy a set for it and try them. If it doesn't fix it, you have spares. Spares are good.
Yes, you can do it yourself. No rebiasing is necessary. or even possible. Just pull out the old ones and plug in the new ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100


Cathbard Amplification
My band
#6
Find out if there's a good electronic parts supply store near you. Some of them still have tube testers, and so do some guitar stores. If you can test the tubes for a few bucks you can find out if they're dying before buying new tubes.
#7
Quote by jpnyc
Find out if there's a good electronic parts supply store near you. Some of them still have tube testers, and so do some guitar stores. If you can test the tubes for a few bucks you can find out if they're dying before buying new tubes.


damn i wish somebody around me had tube testers.

i would just get new tubes. you will need them eventually, and a good chance you need them now.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"


Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.


Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.



****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
#8
Quote by trashedlostfdup
damn i wish somebody around me had tube testers.

i would just get new tubes. you will need them eventually, and a good chance you need them now.


you can buy a basic tester for 500
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
#9
Quote by trashedlostfdup
heat and burning smell on amps is not something to mess around with. if it overheats you could do some damage to the amp.

its probably the power tubes.


oh? I have a line 6 Spider valve HD100 and it gets heat up a bit wile playing but I figured that's just what tube amps do
#10
Quote by AcousticMirror
you can buy a basic tester for 500

Yep then you need to know how to calibrate it because it is a 50yr old piece of equipment that is not right either
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
#11
#12
Quote by GuitarMayhem
oh? I have a line 6 Spider valve HD100 and it gets heat up a bit wile playing but I figured that's just what tube amps do


They do. The OP was noticing a significant difference between the normal heating they had seen for the last 4 years and the current conditions though, which usually signifies a problem.


As for tube testers, if it's not a quality transconductance tester it's not really worth having. Emissions testers are the "go or no-go gauge" of the tube world.

The Orange tester linked above is a very good unit, and although limited, is more than sufficient for most amp applications.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 4, 2015,
#14
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Look down a bit in that link I posted and you will see an old school 'Self Tube Tester'

Imagine walking into a Radio Shack or Sears back in the day with the tubes you had a question about and popping them in.


I don't have to imagine, I've actually done it...

I'm going back to small town montana for Christmas this year, and am going to see if the tube testers I remember are by chance still in storage there...wish me luck!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin