Some players are really meticulous of how often they change their strings. Hobbyists will change every month or so. More serious players may change their strings on a biweekly basis. Professionals most likely change their strings before every concert.

Personally, I'll only buy strings every month or so, or whenever a string breaks. I play often, but not so often that my strings wear out too quickly. I'll change them when they start to become uncomfortable, like if they grip when I slide or lose their smooth texture.
Are these actual questions or market research?

This question could (should) have gone in your other thread, strings aren't that interesting.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I have multiple guitars that I play at varying frequencies. I keep my hands very clean when I play them, and I also use Elixirs so I don't need to change very often. I have had Elixirs on three of my guitars now for about 3 months and they are all doing fine. If I was gigging it would be far more frequent though.

EDIT: Just noticed the other thread. Now I feel as though I have been tricked.
Last edited by Random3 at Aug 4, 2015,
I change mine at least once a month. Sometimes every two weeks. I can always tell when they start to sound lifeless or dull.
My gigging guitars are usually about a month, depending on amount of gigs and whatnot. I also use elixir as well. My other guitars go a lot longer typically.
My last string was like uh.. 4 years ago.. and I am still using them on all my guitars...

The key is ...

First pass, wipe with toilet paper to clean up organic oil from hand, after playing.

Second pass, wipe with sewing machine mineral oil stained toilet paper, and grip all strings with it, to coat it with the mineral oil.

When strings do rust, use a metal polisher such as autosol or your choice of cream. Then wipe it clean and reapply sewing machine oil.

4 years plus and my strings still sound bright and retains the intonation, also staying in tune.
I don't change strings until one breaks.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
About every month.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
About every month.

Yep.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Depends really. If I'm using D'Addario's then every week or couple weeks, depends on how often I play those weeks. Now I usually use Ernie Ball Cobalt .10-.52 sets and those last me a month or so. I can still get a good sound out of C Standard, in fact a grittier sound when they're that old, and same with E standard at that age. I will say that the B and e strings do get worn out fairly quickly if you have had them on for awhile if you change tunings frequently.
steve vai's tech changes the unwound strings every show and all of the wound strings every other show.

Just sharing because i thought it was neat.

The correct answer is as soon as they sound or feel bad, which is 2-6 weeks depending on how frequently you play.
Quote by rickyj
steve vai's tech changes the unwound strings every show and all of the wound strings every other show.

Just sharing because i thought it was neat.

The correct answer is as soon as they sound or feel bad, which is 2-6 weeks depending on how frequently you play.

Post #6 disagrees.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I haven't changed my strings on my main guitar since Christmas. I don't sweat like some people do. So my strings don't feel rusty as long as I play regularly. I'm using Ernie Ball skinny top/heavy bottoms. I have Elixirs on my backup. I haven't changed strings on that in 2 years. As long as they don't break I don't really change strings. I don't gig so I'm not worried about consistent tone night to night.
I've been playing for almost 30 years. I play every day for at least an hour. I have 3 guitars I play in rotation or depending on tuning.
Anyway... I change strings once every few months.
No problems.
Been doing it that way for years.
I rarely buy strings since anytime I do it I get a 10pack. Usually every set lasts between 2-4 weeks depending how much I'm playing.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
I have ~24 electric guitars, use probably seven regularly, i think that i string two or three every two months, kind of like a rotation. My fingers don't sweat at all so strings last forever.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I was under the impression that guitars were worth more if all original, so, all of my guitars still have their original strings! I recently sold a 9 year old Tele copy and, oh the delight in the buyer's face! He told me, "Its hard to find decent guitars that still have the original strings, especially at 9 years, usually some jackass comes along and decides he needs more gain and modifies the strings", but, luckily, I'm not that stupid!

BTW, what do you guy's typically use to clean rust off your fingers?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Whenever I run out of them. Sometimes I will buy more than 1 set at once!
I don't bother anymore.
Although I might do soon before a recording session just to shut the engineer up.
I don't think a string's age affects it's amplified tone.
Just like a guitar's wood doesn't affect tone at all
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
when I feel I need to

I haven't bought strings in almost a year, but I typically buy a few cases 1-2 times a year. I do the same with pics, I buy a lot of 72 and I'm good for a while (I haven't bought pic's in almost 1.5yrs)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Usually around once every two months, there's a pretty significant difference in tone and feel imo, and I really like a bright, snappy pick attack. (Also why I prefer fairly light strings.)

They never really rust for me (I sweat little), and I actually sort of broke only one string while playing, it's just that they really start sounding dull after this time, and the difference in sound is really audible with new ones.
Lucky1978 thanks. That was truly laugh out loud moment. I'm at work and it was very quiet until I read your reply. Great.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Back when I played electrics it was once every few months. Now that I mainly play acoustic it's much more often, maybe once every couple weeks. I have really acidic hands, so I start seeing corrosion after a couple days use, even after wiping them down after every time I play.

Using coated strings + cleaning after playing can really extend the longevity, but you probably already knew that
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander
Back when I played electrics it was once every few months. Now that I mainly play acoustic it's much more often, maybe once every couple weeks. I have really acidic hands, so I start seeing corrosion after a couple days use, even after wiping them down after every time I play.

Using coated strings + cleaning after playing can really extend the longevity, but you probably already knew that

****in hippie
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
****in hippie

On the bright side, it's nice going to buy strings and not walking out with 2 pedals, patch cables, and GAS for a new amp.

There really is no bright side. I miss my shit
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
I play both, and after my recent amp drama, I really started to appreciate the "just pick up the guitar, tune and start playing" simplicity of acoustic again.

Although yeah, that's another thing: strings have a far more dramatic impact on tone in case of acoustics, just like picks. I find it funny how you can make an acoustic sound almost completely different just by changing these two things.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
When I was playing normal guitar, about once per month. Now that I'm playing slide, they seem to last forever.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
On my 6-strings, I'm using cobalt strings. I clean them each evening with a cloth and change them every 2-3 months.

On my 7-strings, I couldn't find cobalt sets with the gauge I like, so I'm using ordinary steel/nickel strings and keep them roughly a month, a month and a half, before they go dull.
Guitars: Music Man JP7 2009 (piezo) and JP6 2013, Fender Stratocaster US 1991
When I feel like it. My sweat is not acidic so no rust so far even on year old strings (and cleaned up only when they feel grimy) plus I dont gig so I do not have stress about them breaking in middle of a sung nor do I stress out about if they do not sound as bright as brand new ones. Old ones, as long as they stay in tune, serve just as well for mere practicing as new ones do.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Aug 7, 2015,
About once a month for me.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.