Hi all,
I'm an intermediate guitar player looking for a new guitar. Have looked into quite a few options and am starting to feel lost. I want a really good quality axe that I will be able to play for a long time.

I can spend up to around $800.

Some of the bands I've been playing are: the Foo Fighters, Black Keys, White Stripes, Tom Petty, Nirvana, Muse, and the Arctic Monkeys. So need some versatility in terms of tones.

So here are my options.
Option 1) Used Gibson Les Paul 2014 Studio. Costs $700
Probably leaning towards this option the most because of Les Pauls great reputation.

Option 2) New Chris Shiflett Telecaster Deluxe. $699
Interesting option. Not too familiar with tele's with humbuckers. Not sure how they play.
http://www.fender.com/guitars/telecaster/chris-shiflett-telecaster-deluxe/0142400780.html#start=1

Option 3) Starting thinking that many of my favorite guitarist often play semi-hollows. Gibson ES are out of my price range, but I did find some Gretsch semi-hollows for around $700-900. They have a bigsby which is a big plus for me considering a bigsby kit can be quite expensive. But I have no idea of the quality of Gretsch.

Would love to hear if there are any guitars that you think would fit what I'm looking for better.

Also I will be playing through a Marshall MG30CFX if that helps.

Thanks for the help!
In my opinion, I think you can get a better sound out of an upgraded amp and an Epiphone LP then a Gibson LP with your current amp.

I'd say something with humbuckers, so the used LP should do if you're dead set on using that amp or something.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Aug 4, 2015,
Your amp sucks. Plugging a new/better guitar into it is like putting lipstick on a pig.

/thread
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Not dead set on using it, its just the amp that I own. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but decided with my limited funds I should focus on upgrading my guitar for now.
Can you get a decent sounding amp in the $500 dollar range? If so what would you recommend?
Quote by Dallin_D
Not dead set on using it, its just the amp that I own. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now, but decided with my limited funds I should focus on upgrading my guitar for now.

Amp is more critical.

Quote by Dallin_D
Can you get a decent sounding amp in the $500 dollar range? If so what would you recommend?

Absolutely!

Try This.

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Dallin_D

Here is a Mesa .50 caliber for $499
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie--50-Caliber-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111370160-i4475134.gc

Here is a .50 caliber+ for $450
www.guitarcenter.com/Mesa-Boogie-Used-Mesa-Boogie-1980s--50-Caliber---Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-111246843-i4402032.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What guitar do you have right now?

Because an amp priced in the same range as you're contemplating spending on an axe might get you close to nailing those tones you seek...closer than a new guitar would.

And I LOVE buying guitars.

(FWIW, Gretsch semihollows can be pretty cool to play.)
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
What guitar do you have right now?

Because an amp priced in the same range as you're contemplating spending on an axe might get you close to nailing those tones you seek...closer than a new guitar would.

And I LOVE buying guitars.

(FWIW, Gretsch semihollows can be pretty cool to play.)

I currently have a rouge rocketeer. It is absolute crap. That's why I have put preference on guitar over amp.
Budget- around $500

Genres- Most of the stuff I play is from the Foo Fighters, Black Keys, White Stripes, Tom Petty. But clean tone is important. So need some versatility.

New or used- either one

Home or gig- Home

City- Have access to a big size city

Current gear- Have a pos starter guitar that was like 100 bills

Thanks!
Country of residence matters- it affects availability and prices. And some cities are notoriously good or bad for their shopportunities.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Country of residence matters- it affects availability and prices.

US of A
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here's a hidden bargain:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=godin+belmont&_sacat=619

The Godin Belmont is a 24.75" scale bolt-on hardtail, featuring a Seymour Duncan '59 in the bridge and SD Lipstick pickups in the middle and neck positions, controlled with a 5-way selector. Made in Canada, they retail for @$800 new. It can cover a lot of tonal territory.

Partner that with one of the Mesas Robbgnarly pointed out above, and you'd have a nice little rig for just over $1000.

Other versatile guitars under $600 I'd consider:

These used Reverends
https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=Reverend+max%3A600+min%3A200

The G&L Tribute Fallout
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=G%26L+fallout+max%3A600&price_min=200&price_max=600&commit=Filter

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly

+3.1415 and a classic vibe or fender MIM model. That would come in on budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/