I've got a jackson DK2M that im wanting to sell. The frets are worn out but other than that everything looks to be in good condition for a used guitar. The guitar cost 900 bucks retail price which i got used on ebay for a steal at 400 which was barely used.

The guitar plays pretty well with the worn frets. The fret wear isn't super substiantial but there is a fair amount of it. How much will the worn frets devalue the guitar usually? A lot?not much ??

Floyd rose looks to be in good condition.

i was thinking of selling it for 150-350 bucks on ebay or craigslist. not sure what the price should be.
Last edited by musicandthewave at Aug 4, 2015,
Depends on how worn we're talking about here.

If it has fret wear, say that it does. Otherwise I feel you're being a bit dishonest.

It might be worth getting the frets levelled by a luthier before selling it, so that you can say in confidence that the frets are perfectly level. And that confidence makes your guitar a lot more attractive to buyers. Such a job isn't as expensive as you might think, and you might even change your mind about selling it as it can make such a huge difference in playability.

Why are you selling it?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Depends on how worn we're talking about here.

If it has fret wear, say that it does. Otherwise I feel you're being a bit dishonest.

It might be worth getting the frets levelled by a luthier before selling it, so that you can say in confidence that the frets are perfectly level. And that confidence makes your guitar a lot more attractive to buyers. Such a job isn't as expensive as you might think, and you might even change your mind about selling it as it can make such a huge difference in playability.

Why are you selling it?

i dont like the wider necks of jackson ever since i got my esp guitar.
Depends on the buyer. Plenty of people don’t even know frets wear out and they’ll buy a guitar that needs a total refret without even realizing it.
Quote by jpnyc
Depends on the buyer. Plenty of people don’t even know frets wear out and they’ll buy a guitar that needs a total refret without even realizing it.

Yes, but it's the seller's fault. We just don't want OP to rip anyone off.

Best thing to do is be honest, and yes the fret leveling suggestion is solid
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Quote by jpnyc

That shows true character.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I flat out don't buy guitars with major fretwear. Most of the time the cost of the work offsets the deal buying it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think it depends on what you mean by "worn out". Are the frets flattened and just need re-crowning or are they worn down to the point of needing a complete re-fret of the guitar. Also if there is that much fret wear, how is the fretboard itself? Does it have deep worn spots that might cause an issue? If you are only looking for a couple hundred for it you might just want to sell it "as is" and tell potential buyers the truth as you know it that the guitar might need a good fret dressing or additional work. Some players who do their own work might want it just as it is.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 6, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I flat out don't buy guitars with major fretwear. Most of the time the cost of the work offsets the deal buying it.

yeah, agreed.

also worth pointing out that some refrets cost more than others- if you need to refinish nitro, or redo binding, that'll up the cost substantially. plus i think most luthiers won't redo the nibs on gibsons which have them, so if you want it to be in original condition...

You might get away with a recrown, but you might not.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A fret level runs you about $50 in labor. If you got it used for $400, sell it for $350 and say it's lower than normal because it'd need a fret level.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 6, 2015,