I've been playing guitar for like 4 years. During that time I did numerous attempts at trying to learn at least a bit of musical theory to figure out at least small piece by myself. I studied from many sources, from my teacher to books to YT videos and magazines.

But what it left me with is just a mess in my head. I never succedeed at any of thoese attempts. My teacher, even though he is great at playing many instruments and has educated the greatest local guitarists wasn't very enthusiastic on teaching me that. He says that things take many years to master (even though I could read thouse out of simple article). I don't doubt or blame him, because it could be attitude from the musical school, but I didn't want to be a proffesional musician and things he tried to explain to me were too complex and used too specific language for me to handle. Rest of the sources left me with the same outcome - even tough I could follow them to one point, sooner or later the author usually skipped some things as if he assumed the student would already know it even though he couldn't. It's not me being plain dumb or lazy.

I am not bad guitarist. Of course I am not any kind of a shredder and many locals could overwhelm me, but I can handle most of songs if I decide to do so. I am creative mind and what dragged me to guitar is its creative aspect. Constant covering makes me like guitar less and this process is just increasing over time.

So now I am asking you to some basic guidelines that could let me do my own little bit of music and/or drag me deeper into this. I am the type of person that instead of reading whole book would read pieces of it and try them so those guidelines could let me discover more theory if it would be needed. Although I have some unsorted knowledge in my head, plase write them as if I would be total newbie.

Sorry you had to read through that nonsense and thanks if you decide to help me because I am really desperate.
I would start with keys. Learn how to construct major and minor scales, learn about chord construction (triads, then 7th chords), learn about chord functions (Roman numerals). I assume you already know the note names and intervals. If not, learn them. Also, use your ears. Learn to recognize the key by ear. Learn to recognize chords by ear. When you learn about anything, listen to the sound. Also, figure out what's happening in your favorite songs (preferably by ear).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Aug 4, 2015,
Quote by iSailor
I've been playing guitar for like 4 years. During that time I did numerous attempts at trying to learn at least a bit of musical theory to figure out at least small piece by myself. I studied from many sources, from my teacher to books to YT videos and magazines.

But what it left me with is just a mess in my head. I never succedeed at any of thoese attempts. My teacher, even though he is great at playing many instruments and has educated the greatest local guitarists wasn't very enthusiastic on teaching me that. He says that things take many years to master (even though I could read thouse out of simple article). I don't doubt or blame him, because it could be attitude from the musical school, but I didn't want to be a proffesional musician and things he tried to explain to me were too complex and used too specific language for me to handle. Rest of the sources left me with the same outcome - even tough I could follow them to one point, sooner or later the author usually skipped some things as if he assumed the student would already know it even though he couldn't. It's not me being plain dumb or lazy.

I am not bad guitarist. Of course I am not any kind of a shredder and many locals could overwhelm me, but I can handle most of songs if I decide to do so. I am creative mind and what dragged me to guitar is its creative aspect. Constant covering makes me like guitar less and this process is just increasing over time.

So now I am asking you to some basic guidelines that could let me do my own little bit of music and/or drag me deeper into this. I am the type of person that instead of reading whole book would read pieces of it and try them so those guidelines could let me discover more theory if it would be needed. Although I have some unsorted knowledge in my head, plase write them as if I would be total newbie.

Sorry you had to read through that nonsense and thanks if you decide to help me because I am really desperate.

You may find these help you:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/music_theory/drastically_cut_learning_time_with_intervals.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/the_basics/using_intervals_for_emotion_-_part_1.html
As well as the great links jerry gave, there's also a few good theory sites elsewhere, such as:
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
Make sure you read through in order from the beginning, even if you know (or think you know) the basics.

And don't forget to keep checking back with songs you know, and trying to see (and hear) how the concepts apply. Songs are never wrong - they never break any rules - but you need to be aware they often throw in stuff that you won't come across in theory texts until much later. Some very simple things that songs do can seem very complicated when translated into theoretical terminology!
Last edited by jongtr at Aug 5, 2015,
It's frustrating, isn't it? I feel your pain.

What impresses me the most, is your attitude though. From my perspective, you hve the mindset and the correct attitude to succeed, you just need the right opportunity and to be given a fair chance to do so.

As far as what I can do, I'd like to talk with you in more detail about what you know and figure that out, as to what resources might be the best. I offer free mentoring here, just shoot me a message here and I'll do my best.

I feel very optimistic about your chances. Let me know if you'd like some mentoring help. Stay strong!

Best,

Sean

Quote by iSailor

It was a mess in my head too, but what finally helped me was getting Bruce Arnold's Theory Workbook For Guitar volumes 1 & 2. It's work, lots of time sitting filling in fretboard diagrams, but that was what I needed to finally drill it into my head.