I have been playing for 5 or so months now. I have down basic open chords and barre chords however I am not great at swapping between the two for example I need to swap between a C#m barre chord to a A open chord and am having great difficulties. I really want to join/form a band but I don't know my next move is as the stage as it is taking forever to swap between barre and open chords which a lot of songs I want to play contain them chord progression.
there isn't a short way to barre chords, you really have to practice over and over until you can do it near naturally.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
What exact shape are you using for C#m? The reason I ask is there are always alternatives that may suit you better. You could always use the 'A' power-chord which is easier to finger than the standard open chord.
Stuff: 2009 Gibson LP Standard • 2012 Fender US HSS custom Strat • 2014 PRS Tremonti SE • 2015 Godin 5th Avenue GT • Marshall 8080 (rebuilt) & Orange Rockerverb 100 (rebuilt)
Last edited by mixstar at Aug 5, 2015,
It might sound cliche, but I would just practice those transitions over and over again. Pretty soon, barre chords and open chords will come naturally. You won't even think about the fingering.
For another song I have to go from F# to A. For this one I tried to use the A barre chord as it is the same shape down 3 frets I think. However it doesn't sound the same/as good as playing the open A.
Silly question: are you playing while sitting, or are you standing? Barre chords (for me, anyway) are much more difficult to play while sitting, as I tend to keep the face of the guitar tilted up a bit toward me. Play while standing, focus on really pressing your thumb against the back of the neck (to get better contact for your barre), and build up that grip strength!
Just sit down and play that C#m shape over and over and over. Then try and switch from C#m to A. It'll be super slow at first but just keep doing it over and over till you're sick of it and you'll start to get the hang of it.
I would definitely recommend starting with good posture (this is detrimental to learning correctly...and safely) do your best this early in your adventure to develop good playing habits and refrain from bad one ie; slouching while playing, tilting the guitar toward or away from you, and making proper contact on the strings with the tips of the fingers not the sides or pads. Later on once you have developed these good habits you can afford to get lazy and comfortable. Playing the guitar puts our hands in a very unnatural position and it can cause serious damage to your hands and wrists if learned (and practiced) incorrectly. However im not saying play like a robot ill never suggest that. But i do suggest starting with a good formal foundation and the rest is your crearion and totally up to you. And as far as bar chords go proper posture and hand position will make the changes much easier for you. It takes time and practice but with diligence comes the big payoff. Now stop posting and start practicing lol.
Definitely keeping practicing those shapes over and over again. One technique you can do is to play a C# Minor, shake your hand off, play it again and repeat. Do this to a metronome for a few minutes and then do it again with the A open chord. Once you are comfortable hitting them individually, slow down your metronome and work on switching between them but try to take your hand off the fretboard entirely, like you did with the technique above and then hit the next chord. Since you've already practiced going from nothing to those chords, the transition should be made a lot easier. As you practice it more, you'll be able to improve your speed and decrease the time it takes between chords but that was a technique I utilized heavily when first learning how to switch between chords.
I'd rely heavily on a metronome to get pass the muscle-mind obstacle.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !