Hey people! I currently have a Laney Ironheart 60W head with a Harley Benton G212 V30 cab. I'm playing with an Epiphone LP Goth and I don't feel that I get the sound im expecting. I've changed all strings after I bought the amp and everything is adjusted as much as it can.
The guitar is fairly cheap ($600-700) so I may think the guitar is the issue.

Do any of you have any heavy sounding guitars to recommend? Been looking on Ibanez and they look really good for my type of playing. I'm thinking the price range $1000-1500.

Thanks
What kind of sound are you expecting?

Have you considered new pickups instead?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
What does your gear actually sound like?

Can you provide sound clips?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
maybe try a cheap pickup swap, epi's have notoriously meh pickups in them.

I agree with everyone you amp and speakers have the biggest impact on your sound.

what sound are you going for? a list of bands would be very helpful.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Since there's specifically wrong with any of your gear, we need to know more precisely what it is that you're not getting, or that you expect?

Sound clips of what you want to sound like as well as clips of your current playing would help.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
The Goth Epiphone should be plenty heavy. If I'm not mistaken the Goth series had some pretty hot pickups (compared to the regular ones, anyway). If you're not getting a heavy sound from a LP, you may need some effects.
I agree with the above guys, try and record some samples, or tell us what your definition of a "heavy" sound is.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Well, a couple of things.

First, I don't know what planet you live on, but a $700 guitar is not cheap. My first guitar cost $40. $700 is high-midrange, and there are guitars there that play better than others that cost over a grand.

But the most important bit here is that a guitar doesn't make you sound heavy. I've seen guys play thrash on a telecaster with a single coil and it melted faces. I've also seen someone with an Ibanez Xiphos 7 play something absolutely beautiful that was nowhere near heavy.

What makes your playing heavy is a combination of things, and actually the least of it is your guitar. Amp plays almost the biggest part in it, and pickups are just after that. But your tone comes almost entirely from how you attack the strings and play. Your fingers decide your tone or how 'heavy' it is or isn't. You can roll off the tone knob on your guitar and fingerpick something beautiful on a 5150 if you want. It's all in how you use the tools you've got.

Wanting new gear is fine. Chasing tone is fine. Just be sure you're not going crazy buying stuff to cover up something you should be discovering in how you play, not what you play it on.

Now, because I hate it when I ask a question and nobody gives me a direct answer, to directly answer you, your LP Goth should be fine for heavy stuff. If you're hell bent on a new guitar and you're shooting between a grand and 1500;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG652FXGK

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG655CBM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG752CBM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S5570TKS

in order of cheapest (around 1k) to most costly (just under 1700).

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
I have a Gibson SG with 490R and 498T and that 498T is plenty hot enough. I find an OD pedal/Big muff will make much more of a difference than a new guitar.
What amp settings are you using on the IRT? It took me a while to find a sweet spot so you may just have to tweak it a bit, but a pedal should make your tone as heavy as you want it.
If you really want a heavier guitar tone I guess something with active pickups should be strongly considered?
Gibson SG (Goddess - Violet Burst / Standard - Alpine White)
Laney Ironheart 120W and Celestion V30's

(Front) Polytune 2 noir > Cry Baby Wah 105Q Bass > Octave Multiplexer > BAT Pharaoh Fuzz > MXR Line Driver
(Loop) ISP Decimator G String II > Hardwire Supernatural
Voodoo Labs PP2
A new guitar will not solve your problems. New pickups will not even solve your problems. The impact that the guitar/pickups make on your overall tone is very subtle compared to other things you can do. Your guitar is not a cheap guitar. If it was, maybe a guitar upgrade would be in order. But it's a decent guitar. The pickups might be a bit low-output but you should still be able to get in the right ballpark by increasing the gain on your amp a little. Your amp is not the problem either.

I would suggest trying to boost the amp with an overdrive pedal (any will do for those purposes). Turn the OD pedal's level to maximum, gain to zero, and tone somewhere in the middle. Run it directly between your guitar and the amp's input (important -- if you run it in the loop it will just boost volume). The idea is to hit the first preamp tube with more signal. You'll have to reduce the gain on your amp, because this method does increase the gain overall. What it does is to make your tone more focused and punchy, cut through a mix better, and tighten up the bass to make your riffing tighter. This is what most people do to get a modern metal tone -- which, I'm not sure is what you're after. What is it that you are after, anyway???
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by an.interloper
Well, a couple of things.

First, I don't know what planet you live on, but a $700 guitar is not cheap. My first guitar cost $40. $700 is high-midrange, and there are guitars there that play better than others that cost over a grand.

But the most important bit here is that a guitar doesn't make you sound heavy. I've seen guys play thrash on a telecaster with a single coil and it melted faces. I've also seen someone with an Ibanez Xiphos 7 play something absolutely beautiful that was nowhere near heavy.

What makes your playing heavy is a combination of things, and actually the least of it is your guitar. Amp plays almost the biggest part in it, and pickups are just after that. But your tone comes almost entirely from how you attack the strings and play. Your fingers decide your tone or how 'heavy' it is or isn't. You can roll off the tone knob on your guitar and fingerpick something beautiful on a 5150 if you want. It's all in how you use the tools you've got.

Wanting new gear is fine. Chasing tone is fine. Just be sure you're not going crazy buying stuff to cover up something you should be discovering in how you play, not what you play it on.

Now, because I hate it when I ask a question and nobody gives me a direct answer, to directly answer you, your LP Goth should be fine for heavy stuff. If you're hell bent on a new guitar and you're shooting between a grand and 1500;

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG652FXGK

www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG655CBM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RG752CBM

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/S5570TKS

in order of cheapest (around 1k) to most costly (just under 1700).

Absolutely this, I can play metal with single coils, you can bet I reallly do and it's all about the weight you put in your hand and how you attack the strings. I can get a metal sound out of my Laney, not a high gain amp. You do not need high output pick ups to get a heavy sound. And not only metal can have heavy sounds...

BTW 1000-1500 USD will get you a VERY awesome guitar, specially if you go used, you can even get a Charvel Custom Shop.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 5, 2015,
I agree with trying a boost first.

I'm not sure I agree that guitars make no difference, though. I definitely have guitars where I can get the tone I want and it's effortless, and others where I really have to fight to get it.

That's not to say the guitar is definitely the problem, but it might be.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I don't know anything about the Goth guitar but I seriously doubt it is the amp. Killswitch Engage used those amps to record and tour their last album. Brutal! And they used the combo version

I agree with the Boost pedal and pick attack/muting technique.

By boost pedal we mean a clean boost with the gain set to '0'. You don't want a boost pedal that will add stuff to your signal only boost it.

And yeah - I don't consider that a cheap guitar but then again you are talking to someone with a $450 MIM Strat and a $300 Schecter
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 5, 2015,
Had a friend with exactly the same issue. We put in the EMG 81/85 set in the guitar and it was voila, instant Zakk Wylde.
This is the set, you can buy cheaper used and dear God, don't use Guitar Center's technicians to install them unless you want a life of grief:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/EMG--ZW-Zakk-Wylde-81-85-Humbucker-Set-101278349-i1323638.gc
That's what I'd recommend or going for a passive pickup swap to squeeze a bit more metal out of it
Quote by diabolical

This is the set, you can buy cheaper used and dear God, don't use Guitar Center's technicians to install them unless you want a life of grief:

A monkey with one arm could install the new solderless system. If GC techs can't handle that, someone needs to hit them on the head with a tack hammer.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
A monkey with one arm could install the new solderless system. If GC techs can't handle that, someone needs to hit them on the head with a tack hammer.

It is not that it is too difficult, it is more the point that they seem to screw up everything they touch.
may sound like a stupid ? but what tuning are you using? if you are playing in standard but listening to bands that tune down then that could explain why you don't sound like them
I have the Laney Ironheart 60w head. There is no good reason to not get a heavy tone out of it BUT you will need to put some kind of boost in front of it. Follow the advice of others with the volume up, gain down and tone to taste. I have tried a ton OD's in front of this amp and one of the best was the EHX Green River Drive. And its CHEAP - like 65 bucks.

Also, this amp is inherently bright which makes is more challenging to dial in a dark, heavy, brutal tone. You may need to swap out your preamp tubes if you still have stock ones. I am using Tung-Sol and they really helped clean up the gain and reduce the noise.

Lastly, like all tube amps it will sound so much better at full volume. As you turn down the master, the sound gets thin. And remember that the guitar is a mid range instrument. If you are listening to recorded guitar tones, remember that it is probably double tracked (at least) and there is also a bass guitar in the mix that adds the bottom end heft.

As a starting point, try these settings on channel 3:
Gain: between 5 and 7
Bass: +2
Mid: -3 (pulled)
Treble: +1.5
Channel Volume: 7
Dynamics: 9 o'clock (the only knob without numbers - go figure)
Tone: -2
Master: at least noon (the other only knob without numbers lol)
Might have to swap out the player.
Sometimes the amp is fine, the guitar is fine, but the armbone connected to the pick bone just doesn't work ver well.
Quote by monwobobbo
may sound like a stupid ? but what tuning are you using? if you are playing in standard but listening to bands that tune down then that could explain why you don't sound like them

+3.1415 that is a really good question. Tuning can change a lot as far as tone goes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Also consider swapping preamp tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by rmoskal74

Lastly, like all tube amps it will sound so much better at full volume. As you turn down the master, the sound gets thin.

Oh, that's too bad, you were doing SO good up until that point.

Yes, amps sound better at higher volume, but it's not because of the amp, tubes or anything else, it's because of the way humans hear.

And a well designed and manufactured amp will still sound good at low volumes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Perhaps I should have not generalized about all tube amps, after all the mark series can still sound terrific at low volume/watts. I simply with this amp that I need to tweak my EQ to maintain the same basic tone as I turn down the master but I don't have quite the same issue on the mark amps. I suppose that's part of what you get for twice the price lol.