http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/RG2550E

This is my guitar - with an edge pro. I am considering putting an original floyd rose in it as it goes out of tune easily after using the trem. The guitarist I admire most have the ofr or fr special (Vai, Satch, Dimebag) And it seems they can whammy all day with minimal detunage. I have checked the current knife edges and they look ok. The springs and bridge are adjusted correctly.

Are my expectations of an OFR realistic? It's possible I'mm missing something.

Even more pressing: Would an OFR be a simple drop-in and retune, or would I need rerouting or other difficult procedures?

Thank you!
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
If the knife edges are in good shape, and assuming you've set the guitar up correctly and there's nothing wrong with the locking nut, then there's no reason why it should go out of tune.

Try putting vaseline on the knife edges of the bridge and see if it helps tuning stability at all. If it doesn't, then the problem must be caused by something else.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
edge pro is one of the good trems (made by gotoh). it should have hardened knife edges, so should stay in tune unless you're either not setting it up right, or you've banjaxed the knife edges. I don't think it has the brass block (you can buy aftermarket ones for not too much), but other than that, it should be good.

vai and satch use the edge or lo-pro edge, they don't use OFRs.

OFR isn't a direct swap either, as far as I'm aware.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
edge pro is one of the good trems (made by gotoh). it should have hardened knife edges, so should stay in tune unless you're either not setting it up right, or you've banjaxed the knife edges. I don't think it has the brass block (you can buy aftermarket ones for not too much), but other than that, it should be good.

vai and satch use the edge or lo-pro edge, they don't use OFRs.

OFR isn't a direct swap either, as far as I'm aware.

Yep, literally all of this.

My guess is you damaged the knife edges and they need to be re-sharpened.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
^ yep good call. I should've put that in too.

^^
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You could look into the locking stud mod as well.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

Also check to make sure the locking nut locks pressure pads aren't overly worn. Same thing for the string locking blocks in the bridge itself.

I have a rg2550e and the previous owner had done a very piss poor job of setting it up. Check to make sure the bridge isn't rubbing on the pick guard. After setting it up properly, it stays in tune decently well. Nothing compared to my rg1570. That thing just doesn't go out of tune.

And you do realize that vai/satch are changing guitars every couple of songs, right? Actually most bands do this live. Not overly professional to be staring at a tuner pedal during a concert :P
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs