For metal, which should I get?
My pickups are EMGs.
If i get the AVT, I could spend the extra £165 on more pedals etc.
If you get the AVT you should be publically flogged.

The alternative you've got wouldn't be my first choice either, but between those two it's a no-brainer.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
If you get the AVT you should be publically flogged.

The alternative you've got wouldn't be my first choice either, but between those two it's a no-brainer.

For something in this price range, what bettar amp would you suggest?
Quote by sandvika
For something in this price range, what bettar amp would you suggest?

(what you should include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
(what you should include to get good advice)

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.

Paragraphs of information about yourself are nice but we really just need the answers to these 6 things.

Thanks

Budget? - £400 MAX

Genres? - All subgenres of metal. Mostly heavy (Ozzy, Sabbath, Iron Maiden etc.) but a bit of thrash (Metallica, Megadeth) and MAYBE some Nu/Hard rock (Slipknot, Linkin park, Avenged sevenfold)

New or Used? - Don't mind, I want good condition though

Home or Gig? - Home, but I do play with a drummer sometimes

Closest City? - Berkshire, UK

Current Gear? - Guitar with EMG 81/85 and EHX metal muff pedal
Yeah frankly the TSL is a much better option.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
See if you can find a used DSL.

Yeah, I just found one for £200 (JCM 2000 DSL 201). I think I will go for this one.
jet city jca 50H and harley benton g212 vintage on thomann. (and a speaker cable)

maybe a tubescreamer (cheaper clone) or boss sd1 as well but with emgs it's probably not necessary. even without it probably isn't, just it lets you dial in less gain to the amp which gives you a bit more versatility at your feet.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by sandvika
Yeah, I just found one for £200 (JCM 2000 DSL 201). I think I will go for this one.

That is a nice amp and should work for what you want. you might need a boost pedal to get to slipknot type gain, but the ultra gain channel gets pretty modern sounding

The Jet City DaveMC suggested is also a great choice and it would give you a separate 2x12 cab you can use with another head if you ever want to.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 5, 2015,
Just a word of warning on the DSL201 mate.
I bought one about 3 years ago for £200 and I was looking for a similar sort of sound to what your looking for.

I'm afraid it sounds a lot worse than it's bigger brother the DSL50/DSL100. It was really fizzy and the mid-range would never sit right in the mix when I recorded it. I spent loads of money replacing all the tubes with a matched set and even got a lower gain preamp tube and it still sounded the same.

It was slightly better running through a GT75 loaded cab, but to be honest the Valve-king I had before it was superior in every way. My friend had a DSL401 and it's better, but it's still not got the sound of the larger heads. Maybe it's something about the EL34 that tames the fizzy preamp gain from those amps.

Obviously if you play one and really like it then go for it. I usually lurk on here but had to post when seeing this.

For my money I'd go for a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X6505+Plus+112+.TRS0&_nkw=6505+Plus+112+&_sacat=0

It suits what you want to play and the gain is so much nicer sounding than the smaller DSL's.
How about the tiny terror combo/head or the dark terror head? I like the look of those
I think the Terrors are great, but they are not versatile. The DSL is probably the best amp you can get for what you want to do in your budget.

I'm not too familiar with the 201 though, does anyone know if it's the same preamp as the 401? I know the 401 already has less gain than the 50/100, and those already need a boost for the heavier stuff you want to do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I think the Terrors are great, but they are not versatile. The DSL is probably the best amp you can get for what you want to do in your budget.

I'm not too familiar with the 201 though, does anyone know if it's the same preamp as the 401? I know the 401 already has less gain than the 50/100, and those already need a boost for the heavier stuff you want to do.

Yeah, the 201 is just the 20watt combo, preamps are all the same
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by sandvika

I'd highly recommend going for the TSL, instead. The small DSL combos use EL84s in the power section and have a much weaker voicing than their bigger brothers. The 601, while part of the less-loved TSL family, uses a dull-sized power section with EL-34s which will give it much more heft.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I'd highly recommend going for the TSL, instead. The small DSL combos use EL84s in the power section and have a much weaker voicing than their bigger brothers. The 601, while part of the less-loved TSL family, uses a dull-sized power section with EL-34s which will give it much more heft.

I agree...

Charles Darwin