Poll Options
View poll results: Agre
Y
9 27%
N
24 73%
Voters: 33.
Page 1 of 3
But funeral doom and viking metal though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I strongly disagree insofar that it's not the case, notwithstanding that it is an eventuality causal to a steep decline in severity. Indubitably.
cos some ppl don't grow up after high school lol
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Y U Do Dis, Wwf?!

good example right here
banned
Last edited by deadsmileyface at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by deadsmileyface

'90s edgy sarcasm called. It wants its arrogant stupidity back.
They're just doing it to be cool.
All the popular kids listen to sludge, not like those other lame subgenres.

Shit I think I said that backwards
Last edited by EyeNon15 at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by deadsmileyface

good example right here

Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I feel like metal should be the music equivalent to playing silent hill but instead we got the music equivalent to playing dragon's lair lol.

so much untapped potential in the genre actually.
Quote by slipknot5678 at #33534270
I feel like metal should be the music equivalent to playing silent hill but instead we got the music equivalent to playing dragon's lair lol.

so true lmao
Quote by slipknot5678

Cool idea...any pre-existing examples that come to mind?
Metal needs to recapture the hearts and minds of the true misfits and social outcasts, and IMO it's not doing a good job of that at the moment.

And I mean the for real nerds, geeks, and dorks and actual misfists.
Not these modern day, im gonna call myself a nerd because its ironically cool to do so or the "I'm a geek because I watched Star Wars once" people.
Quote by davidyanity at #33534289
Cool idea...any pre-existing examples that come to mind?

the closest example in my head is nine inch nails the downward spiral tbh but that's not really a metal album. I know there is actual metal out there that is similar to what I imagine but I'm not involved enough to be able to name any. >_> a few russian circle songs come to mind but most of their music is standard post rock so idk.
Quote by davidyanity
Thanks Fat Lard, I needed that!!!

*dances the Watusi*

TBH, this is the best song in the thread.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EyeNon15
Metal needs to recapture the hearts and minds of the true misfits and social outcasts, and IMO it's not doing a good job of that at the moment.

And I mean the for real nerds, geeks, and dorks and actual misfists.
Not these modern day, im gonna call myself a nerd because its ironically cool to do so or the "I'm a geek because I watched Star Wars once" people.

Ghost might fit the bill...
They certainly don't sound like anyone else out there that's still active on the music scene.
Because the vocals are shit?
I've tried to get into Baroness and Kylesa so hard in the past but ugh. I just can't.

I do like me some Mastodon, but I don't know shit about metal subgenres so I don't know if they are or ever have been "sludge" metal.
Quote by slipknot5678
the closest example in my head is nine inch nails the downward spiral tbh but that's not really a metal album. I know there is actual metal out there that is similar to what I imagine but I'm not involved enough to be able to name any. >_> a few russian circle songs come to mind but most of their music is standard post rock so idk.

Like I said to Eyenon15 a moment ago...Ghost might be one of the better "odd men out of left field" kind of groups to come out in recent years, at least by relative comparison with everything else that's out there in the active music scene.
Quote by davidyanity
Like I said to Eyenon15 a moment ago...Ghost might be one of the better "odd men out of left field" kind of groups to come out in recent years, at least by relative comparison with everything else that's out there in the active music scene.

I'll check them out.
Quote by slipknot5678
I'll check them out.

I can't guarantee that you'll like them...but they are different...I'm surprised you haven't already at least heard of them much less heard their music.
Quote by institutions
Because the vocals are shit?
I've tried to get into Baroness and Kylesa so hard in the past but ugh. I just can't.

I do like me some Mastodon, but I don't know shit about metal subgenres so I don't know if they are or ever have been "sludge" metal.

Earliest, clean vocal-less albums are defs sludge cuz of the blues-y riffs, with lots of interesting ideas. More recent stuff is based off the prog direction from Crack The Skye, hence the multi layered clean vocals.

I recommend everyone test out this slab of ridiculousness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBoZXiuYO_c

I AM THE SUN.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by EpiExplorer
Earliest, clean vocal-less albums are defs sludge cuz of the blues-y riffs, with lots of interesting ideas. More recent stuff is based off the prog direction from Crack The Skye, hence the multi layered clean vocals.

I recommend everyone test out this slab of ridiculousness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBoZXiuYO_c

I AM THE SUN.

I liked the bit where he was all "bluuuurgghhhhBLAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHgrrrrglllellelewuAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" and the drums were like drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr d d d drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr and everything else sounded exactly like that.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by EpiExplorer at #33534344

I guess I like the prog stuff then; Crack the Skye is my favorite.
Yeah I meant Crack the Skye and everything that came before, mostly. The Hunter came out after I was done with metal so I only listened to it a few times, and i've never listened to Once More Round the Sun, despite having it on my PC since it came out.
Quote by institutions
I guess I like the prog stuff then; Crack the Skye is my favorite.
Yeah I meant Crack the Skye and everything that came before, mostly. The Hunter came out after I was done with metal so I only listened to it a few times, and i've never listened to Once More Round the Sun, despite having it on my PC since it came out.

Would recommend Once More, it builds off the Hunter and merges it with Crack The Skye a bit, pretty good.

You know what this thread needs? Some Jolly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoVgMvHMaGk
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Page 1 of 3