Page 1 of 2
So... For my next "investment", I'm looking to buy an 8-string Ibanez.

I normally play songs for 7-strings (I don't have one, so I downtune a lot...) and I'm planning to get an 8-string for composing songs and playing traditional Greek songs (that rely heavily on the 8th string) but, since I don't have enough money for both a 7 and an 8-string, I'm gonna ask the following:

Is the 8-string comfortable for playing live (so I can play the 7-string songs I mentioned earlier), or should I get a 7-string and save money so I can get the 8-string later?

I don't have a problem adapting to more strings, I once borrowed a friend's 7string and I adapted on probably a day or so... So I'm not afraid of transitioning to 8-strings right away .

Any help appreciated!
depends on how the quality is

i haven't tried the TAM10, but i know the RGA8 is pretty much garbage from my experience, and twice the price of what it's probably worth just cause it's an 8-string. i'd go straight for a 2228, since it's the "tried and true" but $2k is pretty steep if you don't have experience with that sort of instrument. TAM10 theoretically would be a great alternative but like i said i haven't had any first-hand experience with it and can't recommend it, but i'd suggest trying one out if you can find it somewhere. based on the specs i'd definitely check it out, though

agiles and schecters are "decent" but i wouldn't recommend either company, honestly, but they'd be better than a stock RGA8

for a mid-level alternative around the same price as the TAM (a little over a grand) i'd go for a carvin if you live in the US
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by Hail

agiles and schecters are "decent" but i wouldn't recommend either company, honestly, but they'd be better than a stock RGA8

why not?
Quote by dthmtl3
why not?

very half-ass quality. there's a reason you don't see the pros using them - they can do better, and so can everyone else.
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
very half-ass quality. there's a reason you don't see the pros using them - they can do better, and so can everyone else.

Is the comment on quality based on experience or what? What pros use rarely has anything to do with quality, but endorsement$.
Quote by dthmtl3
What pros use rarely has anything to do with quality, but endorsement$.

That is only partly true.

Either way, I can't speak for Agile, but from my experience Schecter make decent guitars. It will depend on your budget, I wouldn't bother getting one for £1000+ because there are better alternatives but on a budget I wouldn't complain.

EDIT: I only have experience with the 6 stringers, not the 7s or 8s.
Personally I really dislike 8s, I find the neck to big. I don't mind 7s and find them fairly easy to adjust to. If your asking about comfort then you need to go try a few out and see what you think about them.
Quote by Random3
That is only partly true.

Either way, I can't speak for Agile, but from my experience Schecter make decent guitars. It will depend on your budget, I wouldn't bother getting one for £1000+ because there are better alternatives but on a budget I wouldn't complain.

EDIT: I only have experience with the 6 stringers, not the 7s or 8s.

What's the other true part?
Quote by dthmtl3
Is the comment on quality based on experience or what? What pros use rarely has anything to do with quality, but endorsement$.

experience as well as the fact that most musicians outside of arena rock don't actually make endorsement money. one day you'll realize how much musicians actually make, but hopefully it's not when you're on tour and have $2 for your per diem for food

as far as schecters: they're "decent" but for an 8-string you're gonna have a hell of a time getting around that baseball neck. and they only have low-mid tier options, so as soon as you break the $1k gap a whole other world opens up to you

just like everybody on this forum, at once point i was super into abalone and thought "wow, agile's almost too good to be true! cheap and crazy designs! and if i get really good with agiles maybe rondo will endorse me1!1!" and then i realized that i was buying into a fad that most people hopefully outgrow around the age of 16 or 17
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 5, 2015,
^ I have trouble taking anyone referring to Schecter as "baseball necks" seriously. Not to mention - where did you get the "they only make low-mid tier options" thing from?

On topic, I don't play 8-strings myself, but generally I've seen pretty decent opinions about the regular Ibanez RG8 except for the pickups (seen a ton of people just get the guitar and upgrade them right away). Schecter is always a solid choice, and I've also read relatively good stuff about Jackson.

It's up to you whether you want to take a jump into something more expensive right away, in which case it's definitely the best idea to try out a bunch of 8-strings first, but if it's your first, I'd probably start with something a bit more modest and the above are reasonable options.
Quote by dthmtl3
What's the other true part?

...that they like playing their instruments?

Avril Lavigne has a signature Squier Telecaster. The reason for this is she gets paid by Fender, and Fender get paid by all the kiddies who want a £300 instrument with Avril Lavigne's name on it.

Misha Mansoor has a signature Jackson. The reason for this is he likes the guitar. Sure, Jackson will have paid him for it, but given that he also plays a Blackmachine, Mayones, Ibanez, Music Man, Strandberg, Carvin etc it must be a damn good guitar and for £2500 it had better be.

Avril Lavigne is not going to have a £2500 signature guitar because no one will buy it.

Misha Mansoor is not going to have a £300 signature guitar because it will not be a good guitar.

There is of course some middle ground, but just because pros don't use a particular brand doesn't make it bad, and just because they do doesn't make it good.
Quote by Hail

Keith Merrow, Synister Gates, Jeff Loomis off the top of my head. Schecter makes great quality instruments as long as you're not scraping the bottom rung. I've had several, and have one currently, and I'm more than satisfied with it. I'd definitely recommend them, TS.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Random3

There is of course some middle ground, but just because pros don't use a particular brand doesn't make it bad, and just because they do doesn't make it good.

Which was my point. Quality has little to do with what pros use or don't use. They can get a quality from every brand. And it sounds like Mansoor likes playing guitar, period.
Quote by Hail

just like everybody on this forum, at once point i was super into abalone and thought "wow, agile's almost too good to be true! cheap and crazy designs! and if i get really good with agiles maybe rondo will endorse me1!1!" and then i realized that i was buying into a fad that most people hopefully outgrow around the age of 16 or 17

The fad being abalone or Agile? And what does one have to do with the other?
Quote by TheLiberation
On topic, I don't play 8-strings myself, but generally I've seen pretty decent opinions about the regular Ibanez RG8 except for the pickups (seen a ton of people just get the guitar and upgrade them right away).

Exactly this.

I own an RG8 and I can tell you that at least on my guitar, the fit and finish are perfect, the guitar feels totally solid, and it's very, very comfortable. The pickups might need replacing, but to be honest, the stocks aren't even the worst pickups I've ever heard, and would be totally passable in a live situation until you could afford to upgrade anyway.

I've heard many of the same things about Agile guitars too, but I've never played one myself so I prefer to reserve judgment until I have.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by dthmtl3
Which was my point. Quality has little to do with what pros use or don't use. They can get a quality from every brand.

That may have been your point but that isn't what you said. You were implying that professional musicians tend to play a particular brand because they get paid to, rather than because that brand makes good instruments.
Quote by an.interloper
Keith Merrow, Synister Gates, Jeff Loomis off the top of my head. Schecter makes great quality instruments as long as you're not scraping the bottom rung. I've had several, and have one currently, and I'm more than satisfied with it. I'd definitely recommend them, TS.

no but good guitarists
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Are you seriously trying to say Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis and even Synyster Gates (not a big fan of him, but he definitely can play) are not good guitarists?
Okay considering no one has asked this yet, what is your budget? Also do you have any preferences (construction, scale length, pickups, ect).
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Schecter most certainly isn't a bad company. The only 8 string I felt worth keeping was a budget (Omen) from them. The pickups were trash and upper fret access can be annoying, but given my experience from some of their other lines, I'd be willing to bet you could get something very nice from them for sub $1k. Banshee's and pretty much anything labeled "sls" are great feeling, nicely setup instruments.
Quote by TheStig1214
Okay considering no one has asked this yet, what is your budget? Also do you have any preferences (construction, scale length, pickups, ect).

My budget is about 900$, as for other preferences, I don't mind.
Last edited by kerk12 at Aug 5, 2015,
Quote by kerk12
My budget is about 900$, as for other preferences, I don't mind.

You pretty much have free reign then over the middle of the market. Ibanez, Schecter, ESP (LTD) and Agile all have pretty good guitars in that price point. You could even swing a fanned fret from Agile at that much if you wanted it. The only thing I'd definitely stay away from is the RGA8, as previously mentioned, and the Ibanez TAM10. It's basically an RG8 with Ionizers, a Gibraltar and a pickguard.

Good guitars in your range new would be any Agile Pro series, Iron Label Ibanezes or an S series, the LTD H-408, Schecter Banshee and Hellraiser Hybrids. Also look around at the used market, you might be able to find something nice like a Stephen Carpenter sig or M80M.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Quote by TheLiberation
Are you seriously trying to say Keith Merrow, Jeff Loomis and even Synyster Gates (not a big fan of him, but he definitely can play) are not good guitarists?

yes
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Then regardless if you're trolling or not, you're impossible to take seriously.

Either way, I generally agree with what's said above, and I'm not that knowledgeable on 8-strings so I'll leave it to others.
Quote by Hail at #33534716
yes

You're entitled to be wrong, I guess.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
it's a couple of simple licks and some sweeping

what's so impressive about that

everybody can play fast after 2 or 3 years of guitar

but listening to it it's just a bunch of super sharp overly distorted tones, licks he couldn't play on a clean channel, and overcompensating for not being a good musician

give it a couple years
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
it's a couple of simple licks and some sweeping

what's so impressive about that

everybody can play fast after 2 or 3 years of guitar

but listening to it it's just a bunch of super sharp overly distorted tones, licks he couldn't play on a clean channel, and overcompensating for not being a good musician

give it a couple years

It's so easy to criticise other people's playing when you're hiding behind a computer, isn't it? It must make you feel so much more superior to Jeff Loomis as well.
Quote by TheLiberation
Can I sig this

If you'd like.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 6, 2015,
i'm more insulting your tastes than anything really

i'm sorry nobody's ever challenged your all-important opinions about a guitarist who draws like 300 people to a dive bar with his spin-off solo project
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
It's kinda unfortunate that this thread has basically been derailed, only like 3 people have offered genuine advice.

Debating over how good Jeff Loomis is or isn't doesn't have anything to do with whether or not Schecter make good extended range instruments.

At the risk of feeding the troll more however I will say whilst I am not the biggest fan of Loomis there really aren't many players who can match him on a technical level. But again, even if you think Loomis is crap that doesn't really have any bearing on whether the instrument he plays is any good.
Quote by Hail
i'm more insulting your tastes than anything really

i'm sorry nobody's ever challenged your all-important opinions about a guitarist who draws like 300 people to a dive bar with his spin-off solo project

I don't even care that much for Jeff Loomis. I've heard him play, but I cannot recall the name of a single song by him.

The real problem I have is with your sheer arrogance and your lack of providing anything constructive to this thread.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
for $900 get a used a carvin TS

Quote by Random3
But again, even if you think Loomis is crap that doesn't really have any bearing on whether the instrument he plays is any good.

transitive property
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 6, 2015,
there are three well-known artists for schecter. one's the poor man's michael keene, one isn't even known for being a performer as his fame is all about audio tests, and another is a valid arena rock guitarist. the contention being that there isn't any pro-hype, which is an indication of it as not being a step towards having a product that is build for performing at that level

schecter is a middle-of-the-line budget guitar company, and it's the equivalent of epiphone or LTD with the issue being that it doesn't actually have a good parent company to upgrade to

this is all normal stuff if you're talking 6 string and isn't really a big deal since a 6 string can be typically taken for face value and schecter can offer decent and affordable guitars for that purpose. however, when there's a gimmick involved in an instrument built on a mass scale, there's a price hike up because they're coping with the overhead and there are corners inevitably cut because of the lower market demand. by this, we can typically assume that adding a floyd rose, adding strings, adding better pickups, etc. whilst retaining an affordable price leads to cost cuts in other aspects of the design because these additions raise the base capital cost on the manufacturer and distorts the typical profit margin ratio

thereby, if you wish to have a quality 8-string, the wisest decision would be to adhere to products above the price range you'd expect to find a similar quality 6-string instrument by a few hundred dollars

this is where you fall into a hole when you go for budget gear. the wood selection is a lower priority, the pickup range is weaker, and when you have the range of an 8 string, those are aspects you absolutely can't compromise on, and playing a lower quality instrument that does not support the full range of the 8 strings can't be offset by adding a high compression set of EMGs that streamlines your output like one does with a 6 string. why? because you have almost another octave added to the range of your instrument without even having to downtune, and being able to maintain a smooth transition between the highs and lows without relying on heavy distortion is integral to having a good sound

i was poking fun at the pros, yeah, but that was a small part of the point i was hoping was too obvious to actually have to try and make
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 6, 2015,
You heard it here TS, all Schecter guitars are bad because this guy doesn't like the people who play them, and because they are more affordable than some other companies.

Also I totally disagree that they are on the same level as Epiphone. The cheaper ones, sure, but TS has $900 to spend. My Hellraiser cost less than that and it is leaps and bounds better than any Epiphone I have ever played.
Last edited by Random3 at Aug 6, 2015,
Quote by Hail
there are three well-known artists for schecter. one's the poor man's michael keene, one isn't even known for being a performer as his fame is all about audio tests, and another is a valid arena rock guitarist. the contention being that there isn't any pro-hype, which is an indication of it as not being a step towards having a product that is build for performing at that level

So by that logic, if your favorite guitarist endorsed a guitar that for the sake of the discussion, is actually a piece of shit, you'd still buy it. Because hey, if they're playing it then that must be an indication of it being a product that is built for that level, right?

Marketing loves people like you, they really do.
Quote by Hail

schecter is a middle-of-the-line budget guitar company, and it's the equivalent of epiphone or LTD with the issue being that it doesn't actually have a good parent company to upgrade to

Schecter is owned by ESP, you dolt.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 6, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Schecter is owned by ESP, you dolt.

That, and they have a custom shop which is about as "budget" and "middle of the road" as top-tier PRS guitars.
Page 1 of 2