Hey guys, I've been looking at some PRS guitars online and I have to say, they look like they bring a lot of value to the table price to performance wise. I haven't had any first hand experience with PRS's, but I'm pretty interested, what do you guys think about them?
Well their U.S. made guitars have just about THE best quality control in the business. They're incredible guitars. Can't really get "better". Just different when it comes to the top of their line. What's your budget like though? It really depends. Their high end guitars are several thousand.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
if you are interested in high end PRSs, then they're just perfection, if you are not looking for that exotic beauties like teuffels or strandbergs and you can afford them.
if your budget is <1000 euros then you can still choose a SE model of course. i do have one. they are not like high end models of course but i can't really point out any true defect, and they DO look very expensive!!!
whatever PRS you choose, they are really, really good, probably the best you can find. extremely versatile, beautifully crafted, stock pickups are impressive even on SE models.
what's more, PRS are surely the most elegant looking guitars on the market. if you like "elegant style" of course. i'd suggest PRS to anyone. i may sound a bit factious but i really think they're perfect, if you like the distinctive 25'' scale.
USA PRS are great guitars, the SE series are decent and used they are a great value.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
They have the "broken in" feel. Whether you go with the USA core models or the SE, you will have a great instrument. The core and S2 line have much better necks and fretboards in my opinion. If you want all-out tone, go with a USA custom model. If you're on a budget try the SE custom 24. They play extremely fast and easy and have great access to the upper frets. My only complaint is the rather dry-sounding pickups in the SE models. Also, if you get the SE you might want to file the nut and add some planet waves locking tuners.
Quote by Robbgnarly
USA PRS are great guitars, the SE series are decent and used they are a great value.

+1
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by epicowl
what do you guys think about them?
I think you should buy me one, and I'll let you know how it is
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
I think you should buy me one, and I'll let you know how it is

+1 :
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I ordered a Mark Holcomb signature for a customer, and the PRS factory called me personally to let me know when to expect it. It was delayed because they "didn't have enough of the the quality of quilt top that guitar deserves, and the company refuses to put anything but an undisputed 10-Top on them, " so to make up for another month added on the wait time they're sending the customer some free shirts and a signed book while they wait for more wood to come in.

Talk about customer service! My company just dropped Gibson/Epiphone (because they're horrible to local dealers) to pickup PRS and I couldn't be happier.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Aug 6, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
I ordered a Mark Holcomb signature for a customer, and the PRS factory called me personally to let me know when to expect it. It was delayed because they "didn't have enough of the the quality of quilt top that guitar deserves, and the company refuses to put anything but an undisputed 10-Top on them, " so to make up for another month added on the wait time they're sending the customer some free shirts and a signed book while they wait for more wood to come in.

Talk about customer service! My company just dropped Gibson/Epiphone (because they're horrible to local dealers) to pickup PRS and I couldn't be happier.

Yeah I actually called PRS once to see about some more screw/nuts for the phase II tuners and I actually got to talk with Paul. Super nice guy and sent the parts next day for free.

Not many in that ship these days
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
PRS guitars are amazing, even the SE line which I have and is my go to "do everything" guitar. The quality is amazing and the price for the SE is very reasonable considering the quality and attention to detail. The US line are some of the best guitar in the world. Top notch everything. You'll pay a premium price but they're heirloom quality. I HIGHLY recommend.
The Se are quite nice guitars, but I feel there are better options at those prices.

I feel the 2k Prs are real good value in quality. They have real good equality both in intonation between the actual fretted notes, as well as a balanced coherence between the notes in terms of amplitude and timbre.

The standard splitting options also sound quite good on most models, and I find them matching well respective to each other.

The character is slightly too tame for my taste, but I wouldn't hesitate to pick one randomly to perform or record with. They fit well in many places.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
I played a custom 22 and loved it. Just couldn't afford it. The only problem with my SE is the nut. It is a square block and I had to file to fit 11's. But I took 2000 to the store and came home with a 700 SE. Love it.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
S2 series are AMAZING guitars for the price. I haven't tried best guitars in that price range, period, even above. I have tried lots of SE and I haven't like any, they are well built, indeed, but their sound is just ok and those just don't seem to feel right to me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 6, 2015,
i maintain that PRS, Music Man, and Carvin / Keisel, are about the best mass produced guitars in the biz. along with that you drill down into something like USA charvels, custom fender customer shops, suhrs..

then uber specialized jobs like tuefels, etc. those 4-6000+ jobs.

i think there are certainly better guitars for the money than PRS, but its splitting hairs, and yes they are worth the money. its just a matter of preference and if you want to go on a long journey to find something better. a music man and a PRS are two radically different styles, of similar quality but if you pick 2 up you immidialy know what your going for.

Carvin i maintain is some of the best ever made with physical build and the new Keisels are even better. they cost a fraction of the price of a high end PRS with similar flawless build quality. what you dont get, is the uber prestine innards, the PRS pickups, wiring, electronics, accessories. however, for that fraction of cost i would rather custom tailor myself up to that level. PRS is more of a "take it out of the box...never touch it again....why would you ever even think about modding or customizing this thing." type of deal.

but i bought a carvin CT624 for about 1400 bucks and i put it up against almost any PRS in physical build quality, wood quality, finish quality, and playability. only the special reserve PRSs for 5,000- 10,000 would touch my carvin....
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by Perverockstar69
S2 series are AMAZING guitars for the price.

Most PRS guitars are amazing for the price, including the SE line.
Only problem for some people is if they are looking for something to hold its value or even appreciate than there not gonna find it in PRS outside of there "one off" models and even those dont resell well. But as far as quality theres not much better like someone else said "only different". So before you spend 2k on a guitar that's instantly worth 1k you may want to look at all the options for that kinda money. But like i said they are exceptional instruments of the upmost quality.
My observation on PRS guitars...Damn those are expensive!!

They sure are beautiful though and I've never heard a bad word about them. Guess you get what you pay for sometimes!
Quote by Dick Savage
Only problem for some people is if they are looking for something to hold its value or even appreciate than there not gonna find it in PRS outside of there "one off" models and even those dont resell well. But as far as quality theres not much better like someone else said "only different". So before you spend 2k on a guitar that's instantly worth 1k you may want to look at all the options for that kinda money. But like i said they are exceptional instruments of the upmost quality.

or you could buy used, but i don't know a lot of people who would let a "real" PRS go
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Yea most people probably wouldnt wanna let one go because they love it but theres alot who wont let tgem go because of the loss they will take.
Quote by Dick Savage
Yea most people probably wouldnt wanna let one go because they love it but theres alot who wont let tgem go because of the loss they will take.

There's lots of used paul reed smith's online, I have one I'm selling now. They make alot of guitars and not many people hold onto all there guitars, my collection looks very diffrent from one year to the next. Then again I buy used and trade alot so I don't lose as much.
If I have the cash, probably the only company I would buy a brand new guitar from.

But every once in a while used PRS pop up under the price market and there are nothing imo that will compare n the same range. Got both my singlecuts for $2250 and theyre steals.
IMO they are a more modern sounding guitar which may be perfect for some but not if you're after a Vintage tone/ sound. The quality on all PRS guitars (SE, S2 and USA) are very high in workmanship. They don't have very beefy necks, the wide fat profile is like a 60s LP. MAybe the Santana model is thicker as it's its own profile.
Moving on.....