Hi everybody!

I bought an Epi Les Paul tribute plus a couple months ago and have had only 1 problem with it. Sometimes, even when playing acoustically, I hear a buzz from what I assume is the pickup. It's different to fret buzz. What confuses me most is as soon as I change the pickup switch to another spot (even acoustically) the buzz will immediately stop. Does anyone have any clue what's going on?

Thanks,
Jack.
If unplugged then switching between pickups should make no difference, i suspect its the switch itself that is rattling.
Quote by javis0317
Hi everybody!

I bought an Epi Les Paul tribute plus a couple months ago and have had only 1 problem with it. Sometimes, even when playing acoustically, I hear a buzz from what I assume is the pickup. It's different to fret buzz. What confuses me most is as soon as I change the pickup switch to another spot (even acoustically) the buzz will immediately stop. Does anyone have any clue what's going on?

Thanks,
Jack.

Probably just a cheap toggle, if your adventurous pop the rear plate off, put the toggle in the position that it normally buzzes in and see if you can see the culprit, may just need to tweak one of the prongs or something simple like that, if not just upgrade, a nice Switchcraft is $20.00 or less. That is if you can solder or know someone who can.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Aug 6, 2015,
Yeah. Toggle. If you're hearing it unplugged and it goes away when the switch is moved, it's not a pickup.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
The Tribute has a Switchcraft switch, so I struggle to think how the switch could be causing it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
That makes a lot more sense. I'd put my ear up to the pickup and it sounded like it was coming from there so i just assumed that. I might take it into a luthier at some point and get them to take a look when it really starts to bother me. I don't trust myself to do that just yet
It could also be the poker chip or maybe a washer rattling around due to not being tightened enough. Good brand or not, it could be the switch itself as others have mentioned.
I'm unfamiliar with how to do any of this. Should I remove the cover on the back of the guitar directly behind the switch and see if anything looks wrong??