Page 1 of 2
I was looking into getting a Epiphone Les Paul in the future as a upgrade from my Yamaha pacifica. I have about 200 pounds to spend and Gibson Les Paul is my dream guitar what do you guys think?
Quote by tommylaws16
........... what do you guys think?

save up a little more and get an Epi Tribute +

Can't comment much on current models, but I have an Epi standard(bought new 13 years back).

It's acquired a ding here and there, and the pots and switch needed replacing around 10 years ago, but it's a solid instrument. Definitely worth trying one.
Epiphone has been producing some nice stuff in the last few years. There might be cosmetic issues if you look closely, but they’re good players, and that’s what counts.
I only just passed on my G-400 after 3 years, and I've played a few of the Les Pauls; they're eminently solid stuff for the money. Haven't played the Tribute +, but I'd second the recommendation, because on the whole in my experience the extra price of the costlier Epis is reflected in the instrument.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Epi Tribute + is almost 300 pound more than what I planned on. The money I have put on the guitar is not the money I can get hold of but rather the amount I am willing to pay so I think that model may be out of my range by too much
That's fair enough, I happily recommend the standard/pro model too; they're solid guitars.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
I own a Tribute + and think it is by far the best of the Epiphone LP line. I have four Epi LP's (Custom, Standard, Ultra II and Tribute +) and if I had to choose my 2nd favorite it would be the Standard. Don't get any of lesser grade Epiphone Les Paul's like the Special II or Studio. In my opinion they are strictly first year student guitars, not keepers.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 6, 2015,
By the looks of it I will go the extra 100 pound towards the standard the extra money towards a guitar that I want to keep for at least a year isn't a lot.
Thanks for everyone's input!
p.s is there a way to up vote a reply on your thread?
Quote by tommylaws16
By the looks of it I will go the extra 100 pound towards the standard the extra money towards a guitar that I want to keep for at least a year isn't a lot.
Thanks for everyone's input!
p.s is there a way to up vote a reply on your thread?

No, this forum software is... primitive.
From what I hear they're pretty decent guitars to play. I've only played a few but thought they were pretty good. Still not a US Gibson Les Paul but similar. Great option if you can't afford a true Gibson like myself and most people I know. Only knock I've heard were that some of the frets weren't level equally. Other than that, not bad.
The only problem I had with mine was the strap button screw pulled out. Just replaced it with something with bigger threads and all was well. Really liked that guitar..
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Get a used Korean Epi Les Paul, terrific instruments if you ask me.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
doesn't seem like an upgrade at all, just a change.

a few years ago, a singer i worked with had a guitar player relocate from germany to the u.s., and that player sold his gibson lp to get here. when he arrived, he picked up an epiphone les paul till he could afford a new gibson, but within a month, he felt the epi was so poor tonally compared to the gibson he had sold that he took a second job to get another gibson, and was so relieved two months later when he sold the epi and picked up the gibson les paul...

of course, you could pick up the epi and replace the pickups with gibson pickups.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
sorry to harsh the buzz, but imo the epi lp's and the gibson lp's aren't even the same species. in ten years they might be (from the gibson side of things) but that's for another discussion. you have a decent guitar to play right now and throwing cash down the epi hole is only going to put you farther away from getting the gibson you really want.

earn some bread, use credit, do a layaway, etc.. do what you need to do to get your gibson. you won't look back.
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 6, 2015,
Quote by ad_works
sorry to harsh the buzz, but imo the epi lp's and the gibson lp's aren't even the same species. in ten years they might be (from the gibson side of things) but that's for another discussion. you have a decent guitar to play right now and throwing cash down the epi hole is only going to put you farther away from getting the gibson you really want.

earn some bread, use credit, do a layaway, etc.. do what you need to do to get your gibson. you won't look back.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Seriously, a lot of Gibsons are really... just not worth it. I have 3, and bought them after trying a lot of the same model. There's no consistency to the damn things.

Again, I have 3(2 LPs and an SG), and I still play my Epi LP.
Quote by ad_works

would you care to back that up with something? sure an Epi standard LP isn't going to measure up to a top level Gibson Historic LP but it's not supposed to . the Epi LPs (once you get to the standard and custom level) are pretty decent guitars and will do the trick for many players. i'd be more inclined to buy a Tribute Plus model than a low end gibby at this point.

OP you may have to pony up a little more cash to get a decent epi as it wouldn't recommend their lower end models. while not terrible guitars thye aren't anything to write home about either.
Quote by monwobobbo
would you care to back that up with something? sure an Epi standard LP isn't going to measure up to a top level Gibson Historic LP but it's not supposed to . the Epi LPs (once you get to the standard and custom level) are pretty decent guitars and will do the trick for many players. i'd be more inclined to buy a Tribute Plus model than a low end gibby at this point.

OP you may have to pony up a little more cash to get a decent epi as it wouldn't recommend their lower end models. while not terrible guitars thye aren't anything to write home about either.

no, i could care less about debating my opinions. opinions were asked for and opinions were given. that pretty much sums it up i'm afraid.
Quote by ad_works
no, i could care less about debating my opinions. opinions were asked for and opinions were given. that pretty much sums it up i'm afraid.

in other words you can't. this is a discussion board. to just say something sucks or doesn't cut it etc with nothing to back it up isn't really helpful to anyone. you of course are entitled to your opinion.
Quote by ad_works

Could you care less? So, you actually do care to some extent?

I'm find it very hard to take somebody seriously if they make such a grating grammatical mistake, let alone say that Epiphones are crap and yet, not provide any insight into why.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 6, 2015,
I personally love my Epi LP plus top pro. It's a great guitar with a lot of options! I bought it back in 2011 and I would go back and buy the same thing if I had to do it over.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Sorry, I have plenty of faith in Epiphone's consistency (at least above the Standard price point), but - while not correct to the intended meaning of the phrase - "could care less" is a very common mutation of the idiom. Whether it offends your grammatical sensibilities is one thing; it's certainly wholly irrelevant to the value of a person's opinion on Epiphones.

What is relevant is that several of us have played more than a few Epiphones and, being among that group, I can attest to the quality of them. They're not Gibsons, as the price will tell you. They are, however, about as close as anything in the price range, and the Standard/Pro models, with a couple of upgrades, can settle quite comfortably into the range that can be called genuinely good guitars (when they're stock they can certainly be called decent), and some of the models above that price point achieve that status without upgrades. Additionally, they're pretty consistent, which I think is something to look for in a brand.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Don't bother listening to the Gibson fanboys. Gibsons are generally better of-course, but you don't even need one. I'd take my Epi over most Gibby standards. Not saying its the norm, but you can find some real gems. The Epi Standards will always beat the entry level Gibsons, they're excellent bang for buck. I'd go used were I you and pick up an old Korean, just like someone else suggested. Just get pre 2004 and get the guys at MLP forums to make sure its genuine. My Dad got an '03 Custom crazy cheap a while back for £150 or something. It's a lovely guitar, though it weighs a ton.

Anders Nyström of Katatonia used a cherry Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 among others for years before he had an endorsement. If it's good enough for him...
I have an Epi Standard LP which I just cannot get a good action on - even a pro setup ended in a compromise with super high action. Be careful with shitty necks on Epiphones (I'm sure not all are bad).
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Hi Tommylaws. I have one of the cheapest Epiphone electrics, the LP Special II. I've seen some people saying bad things about them in this forum but I've enjoyed mine. It's the best electric I've had so far (of course that might be more of a statement on how cheap I am). My only beef about mine is the tuners could be better, but they do the job fine. Low action, decent pickups, handles well. So what if it's not fancy? It was good enough to bring me back to playing.

I've seriously considered upgrading to a nicer Epiphone. Maybe the Epiphone LP custom or standard. I've seen those in craiglist for $200-300 and hear they are pretty good guitars.
I guess the tried and true method of picking a guitar always comes down to going to the store and trying out a few: I was also in love with the idea of getting a Gibson LP back in the day, so I worked my butt off to save enough money and when the time came to go to the stores and try 'em out the only major (MAAAAJOR) difference was the price tag, my dude. That day I came back home with a really nice Epi Les Paul Standard which I adore to this day, some new monitors and five packs of new strings, and could still stick a bit more than half the price of the Gibson in the bank savings (I live in Mexico, so that's probably the reason behind the costs lol).

I've played several Gibsons and several Epiphones, and even though Gibsons have only felt slightly nicer and way heavier, I could tell you both brands have their inconsistencies. I, for one, wouldn't pay the extra cheese for a guitar that only feels slightly nicer just because the headstock says Gibson. If you have the cash and want to get the Gibson then go for it brah, but Epis can be great too (just stay away from the Studio and the Special, trust me).
ceci n'est pas un guitariste.
I agree with most of the posts. I have had two Gibson Les Paul's in my life, a 1969 (maybe 1968) Gold Top with mini humbuckers 's and a 1973 Standard that I bought in 1975-76 and owned till several months ago. The 1969 Gold Top had a bad neck that kept bowing till a luthier I know well told me to set it up and trade it in (any guitar even Gibson's have lemons). I traded it in (at the same place I bought it) got traded for the 1973 Les Paul. It was a great guitar and was my go to gig guitar more than 30 years. The last 4-5 years I have been buying and playing Epiphone Les Paul's and the Gibson sat at home. I recently sold it to friend who always admired it.

Is the Gibson better than my Epiphone? If there was big difference I would never have sold it but to be perfectly honest it just became obvious that I like playing my Epiphone 1960 Tribute more. Also selling the Gibson was a way to buy some other gear that I just wanted. I also wanted the guitar to be played, not sit home in case. In my experience Epiphone is making consistently good Les Paul's.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 7, 2015,
I just bought a 2015 Les Paul Standard. Ebony (soon to be all blacked out)

I always wanted a Les Paul. So I bought a Epi Les Paul Special II for cheap ($99) a while ago. I hated it. I even changed pick ups. Still sucked.

There's no way I can justify the money for a Gibson Les Paul. I need to eat before I spend all that money on a guitar. So I went to GC and played every Epi Les Paul they had. I really wanted a plus top, but none of them spoke to me. The one I chose felt perfect. It played better than their most expensive Epi Les Paul they had. And I could afford it (not really, but it's only money, right?)

I can say that this guitar plays great, sounds excellent, and looks superb!
Quote by TobusRex
Hi Tommylaws. I have one of the cheapest Epiphone electrics, the LP Special II. I've seen some people saying bad things about them in this forum but I've enjoyed mine. It's the best electric I've had so far (of course that might be more of a statement on how cheap I am). My only beef about mine is the tuners could be better, but they do the job fine. Low action, decent pickups, handles well. So what if it's not fancy? It was good enough to bring me back to playing.

I've seriously considered upgrading to a nicer Epiphone. Maybe the Epiphone LP custom or standard. I've seen those in craiglist for $200-300 and hear they are pretty good guitars.

Ditto on the LP Special II. I'm primarily an acoustic player, but wanted an electric to explore the electric blues style. It's got a nice low action and the pickups sound really good to my ear ay least.
Dave Bowers

Instruments
Martin D-28
Martin/Sigma DR12-7
Martin Dreadnought Junior
Washburn EA25SNB
Epiphone F-112 Bard
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Quote by davebowers
Ditto on the LP Special II. I'm primarily an acoustic player, but wanted an electric to explore the electric blues style. It's got a nice low action and the pickups sound really good to my ear ay least.

Action's a setup issue, though. Any electric that can be considered a complete and functional guitar can have its action set up well with minimal expertise. Pickups obviously depend on the amp, but all I can say is that the Special IIs I've tried haven't impressed me. Not to say they can't be good guitars, but the stuff from the Standard range and up are consistently good, and a Special II simply wouldn't be an upgrade from a Pacifica. A Standard (or even better, a Tribute +) certainly would.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

I'm find it very hard to take somebody seriously if they make such a grating grammatical mistake, let alone say that Epiphones are crap and yet, not provide any insight into why.

Careful you don't make grammatical mistakes when you correct someone elses grammar. Er'body makes mistakes.

If I were to pick something that could make an Epi less enjoyable than a Gibson, I'd for sure say the neck profiles. Admittedly I haven't played too many Epiphone Les Pauls, but their necks are always on the thinner side, at least in comparison to Gibson. Clearly that's opinion, but definitely something worth taking into consideration. Another thing that turns lots of people off is the maxi pad shaped headstock. Neither is a deal breaker for me, and I've owned a few Epiphone Les Pauls that I really liked. The Matt Heafy 7, a plus top pro, and some "gold top" that wasn't really a gold top. All of them were competent guitars that I'd recommend to folks.

I think it is fair to say that they're similar to Gibson's in looks only, but that doesn't make them bad. As always, it's a good idea to try it before buying it. If that's not possible, then make sure there's a good return policy in place so if you don't like it you can just ship it back.
All Epis I have played have been solid.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Wow thanks everyone for there input didn't think this post would get so much response. Getting a Gibson is simply out of the question for me as I am in my last year of college going into a four year uni course where I will most probably be broke for the whole time. After reading all your comments I have decided on a standard epi les paul. If there are a few bits and bobs to be upgraded in the future then I guess that will be the case, it will still be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a gibson
Quote by Rickholly74
I agree with most of the posts. I have had two Gibson Les Paul's in my life, a 1969 (maybe 1968) Gold Top with mini humbuckers 's and a 1973 Standard that I bought in 1975-76 and owned till several months ago. The 1969 Gold Top had a bad neck that kept bowing till a luthier I know well told me to set it up and trade it in (any guitar even Gibson's have lemons). I traded it in (at the same place I bought it) got traded for the 1973 Les Paul. It was a great guitar and was my go to gig guitar more than 30 years. The last 4-5 years I have been buying and playing Epiphone Les Paul's and the Gibson sat at home. I recently sold it to friend who always admired it.

Is the Gibson better than my Epiphone? If there was big difference I would never have sold it but to be perfectly honest it just became obvious that I like playing my Epiphone 1960 Tribute more. Also selling the Gibson was a way to buy some other gear that I just wanted. I also wanted the guitar to be played, not sit home in case. In my experience Epiphone is making consistently good Les Paul's.

No offense but comparing a Norlin era LP which probably easily topped 10+ lbs and wasn't even made by the same company Gibson is today (location, owners and workers totally different) is probably not very relevant. People who prefer the Norlin Era generally don't like the HJ era Gibsons and vice versa.

OP 2015 is a bad year to consider a USA Gibson. "Strange improvements" no one asked for, ridiculous price increases in the last 2-3 years all add up to going used IMO. I have an R7 & R8 I bought new and when added up they cost less than a 2015 RI which doesn't even have the long neck tenon anymore. The Custom Shop True Historic is getting fantastic reviews but the prices are out of this world and many RI owner like myself not find them totally out of reach.

If you buy an Epi, you're getting a legal copy of a Les Paul (made with less expensive materials, smaller pieces of wood and a poly finish) but basically an affordable Les Paul. Don't go below a Standard, avoid bolt on neck versions. Choose well and a good set up and you can have a fine playing LP if it's an LP you want.

If you simply want a single cut then the choices are too many to list here.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Aug 8, 2015,
If you don't want to spend money on a VERY GOOD Gibson LP you should check out the PRS S2 Single Cut, AMAZING guitars and you can find'em used for like $800 or so. Now, that is in case you just want a good single cut guitar (ESP Eclipses are another ones to consider), cause they are not Les Pauls...

Mesa Royal Atlantic
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Aug 8, 2015,
I always went for high end guitars usually Fenders then discovered Epiphone. For me they are making incredibly good guitars, not just for the money..just really good guitars. I have been really disappointed with Gibson. I haven't found one that felt really good and in my view are not worth 6 times what an Epiphone would cost you. I bought a Custom Pro and can recommend them but try a few as they do vary.
I went shopping to buy an Epiphone Les Paul last week and like killerv I tried every one in the shop. They all had slightly different necks and different tones. But one model stood head and shoulders above the others in terms of tone; the Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro. The pick ups were so full and rich unlike some of the thin, tinny tones on some of the other LPs. I will probably never use the coil taps but the pups sound fantastic. However, a word of warning... the necks on the Plus Top Pros were not consistent (I found this strange in a world of computerized machine tooling). The first one I tried was a medium C shape, second one was a thinner D shape. So make sure you try them out in a shop to make sure the neck suits you hand. Regarding your budget, one other thing to be aware of is that although the advertised price on the Web was £399, in the shop they were only priced at £339.
Hope this waffling is of some use.
Mo
Epiphone makes a great guitar. But, do not window shop. Carry your happy ass to a music store,pawn shop and try every guitar you can get your hands on. Eip has a totally different feel in hand then a Gibson. The neck on an Epi slim taper is sorta like the Gibson slim neck of the 60's which some models still have. You might find you prefer the Eip over Gibson just do not try and convince your self they are the same.They are not.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
I love my Epi, 08 les paul prophecy gx, absolute love it got a really nice thin neck on it aswell unlike a lp. I had a midnight custom one (maple fretboard, all black with EMG's) that had the standard neck profile and that was really nice as well i regret selling it but i needed cash. imo a high end epi is better than a gibby for the same price
MIJ Rhoads Pro '90
Epi LP Prophecy GX + LP Custom Maple EMGs
MIJ Soloist XL '93 =]
MIJ Fender Strat Kahler
Squire tele '94?
Warlock platinum '90? old shape

Laney VC15

Jackhammer
TRADES????
If you are dead set on getting an Epi, find a shop with loads in stock and try them all. The quality is extremely variable. I have seen good ones (some) and I have seen awful ones (many) but if you take your time, look hard and test play them you could find a 'keeper'.
I agree that the Tribute plus seems to be a good one, but the older Korean Epi's were far better than anything out of China recently, regardless of what some people think. My daught bought an early 90's Epi LP Standard thats better than some Gibsons I have seen.
PRS SE guitars, for the money, are far better than the Epi's.
Page 1 of 2