I had my local luthier install a pair of guitarhead pick ups on my main go to guitar as i lack the tools and know how to do it at home. these pickups offer a split coil option and i dont know tell if the humbucker was installed wrong. it sounds really twangy but i dont know if thats because these pups offer a mid range boost to them. is there a way you can tell that both of the single coils are working in your humbucker?
You take a piece of metal, usually a screwdriver tip, and tap the pole pieces while the guitar is plugged into an amp. You only really need to tap one pole piece on each coil to test it. If it makes a sound through the amp, it's currently being used. If it barely makes a sound, then it's inactive. According to their site, the white and red wires (which are responsible for coil splitting) should be soldered together and not attached to anything. (they should also be taped off so they don't touch anything.) You could just open the back cavity and see if they're attached to anything.
Are they Z Buckers? I bought a used Hamer with a pair of Z Buckers in it and I hated them they were very trebly I'm talking like jabbing ice picks in your ears I had the guitar for nearly a month tried on all of my amps (both valve and solid state) with various eq settings and effects pedals but just couldn't get a decent sound out of em I took the guitar back to Guitar Center because I really didn't want to invest any more money into it. So personally I'm not a fan of Guitar Heads pickups they are cheap for a reason.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

both humbuckers seem to be working fine. maybe its just im not used to them yet. I have them on a squier so i wouldnt know how to get to the electronics without removing pick guard. and Evilnine they were fatpoles. theyre not to bad for the price. very responsive
Quote by finalflash502
both humbuckers seem to be working fine. maybe its just im not used to them yet. I have them on a squier so i wouldnt know how to get to the electronics without removing pick guard. and Evilnine they were fatpoles. theyre not to bad for the price. very responsive

From the description at Guitar Heads the Fatpoles should have strong lows and scooped mids (which is the complete opposite of a mid range boost) and tight highs, these pups, from their own description should be tight and have a lot of low end, if they are really twangy and trebly I'd question how they are wired because they do not sound like they are matching the companies description.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge