Has anyone converted from passive to active pu's in a stray. If so, where did you stick the battery? I need ideas.
Where the battery can be placed entirely depends on what specific strat we're talking about.

Usually it's just put inside the control cavity and wrapped with electrical tape to stop the battery casing from shorting on anything.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
you could put actives on a concrete block and as long as the strings are the right way you'll get sound.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd is an excellent example of this. His candy apple red strat has EMG SA (single coils) in it and they sell that , the Steve Lukather and Kirk Hammet loaded pickguards. But like T00DEEPBLUE said as long as you can put a 9v battery in you're good however there is an external power supply EMG sells.

whether you stick to single coils , go with humbuckers or get a really fancy pickguard made for the p90s or other unorthadox pickups EMG makes that are active as they make way , way more than just the boring 81/85 everyone thinks only exists and you'll get sound.

if I was to get actives I'd get seymour duncan blackouts the metal set, they are more articulate (more sounds you get out of them) and the metal set has a boost on them so it's one less pedal to bring to a show. They are also active and can switch to any active on the market with 3 pins.

the EMG X series is fantastic , it's like Rob turner listened to peoples feedback and improved on most of EMG pickups problems. They have less compression and fixed most of the issues. So when you see X series the 81X , 85X , 60X. Or honestly try out the 57/66 it's their newest set and many pros endorsed or not are switching to them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45Bh1Hkdf5Q
Quote by Tallwood13

whether you stick to single coils , go with humbuckers or get a really fancy pickguard made for the p90s or other unorthadox pickups EMG makes that are active as they make way , way more than just the boring 81/85 everyone thinks only exists and you'll get sound.

if I was to get actives I'd get seymour duncan blackouts the metal set, they are more articulate (more sounds you get out of them) and the metal set has a boost on them so it's one less pedal to bring to a show. They are also active and can switch to any active on the market with 3 pins.

the EMG X series is fantastic , it's like Rob turner listened to peoples feedback and improved on most of EMG pickups problems. They have less compression and fixed most of the issues. So when you see X series the 81X , 85X , 60X. Or honestly try out the 57/66 it's their newest set and many pros endorsed or not are switching to them.

I was planning on some emg humbuckers, just haven't decided which. Was going to check out the hetset, as well as the x series. And if all else fails, my regular 81/60 combo.

The strat body is an HSH so there should be room under the pick guard with only two pots, but I should have mentioned I want to avoid putting it there due to the hassle of replacement.

The guitar is getting a complete overhaul so all paint and finish will be stripped so se minor routing could be done, I just am totally unsure where.

I'll be installing a gotoh strat bridge.
If your going through a full rebuild then why not take the time and just make a route for a battery box? Would be really simple and templates can be found all over. You can purchase the box with hinged door from nearly any aftermarket retailer or ones that have been removed from factory guutars on amazon or ebay.
the battery box is a fantastic idea get the kind like schecters and more recent production models have where it's similar to remote control batteries on older remotes and devices.

If you go with regular EMG pickups I highly recommend the 18 volt mod. It's just adding a 2nd 9v battery into your guitar. But mentioning both pickups you mentioned get the James Hetfield set. If you get that no 18v mod and it's as awesome sounding as the X series EMG or the 57 / 66. Positive grid one friend who is an amazing guitarist spoke highly of to get really accurate classic metallica tones from a digital simulation.

I still highly recommend the Seymour Duncan Blackouts, metal or not if you got tired of EMG down the road they use the same quick connect cables and all. The way any strats routed you should be able to get away with a H/H or H/S/H , worst case scenario ask for "Swimming pool routing". But to get exactly James tone you need to match as much of his gear as possible. Picks, amps , pedals , strings material /brand ..you name it. Google is our friend with that.

this is positive grid by the way to record demos and play/jam/practice at home it's amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrlupjcA8Sw
I dont think op was wanting Metallica's tone. Besides you will never fully get anyones tone other than your own. But other than that spot on with the rest of your post.
Quote by Dick Savage
I dont think op was wanting Metallica's tone. Besides you will never fully get anyones tone other than your own. But other than that spot on with the rest of your post.

Yea, I'm far past trying to match people tones haha. Although I am a Metallica fanatic, I have my own tone and style.

I will look into some blackouts.
Right on. Before you get those blackouts checkout a set of railhammers they sound fantastic!! The Anvil and Chisel are both sweet pups. They sound full and thick clean and Crisp and very responsive with more gain than you should ever really use (i know we should all be ashamed of ourselves) but no they are a great pickup set from Mr Clean of cleans to the dirtiest of dirtys.