So, over the past several years, from the time I was 14 until now (I'm 21), I have bought and sold and traded many, many pieces of gear. Mostly, I have done this with amps, but a few guitars as well. I have found things I liked, things that inspired me, things that simply didn't work, and things that frustrated me so bad that I wanted to throw them out the window.

I have come to a few conclusions in my time of gear-hunting: The Mesa Boogie Rectifier series is my ideal amp, Ernie Ball Music Man guitars are the shit, and I need a good practice amp to haul around. I have covered all those in one fell swoop.

Presenting, one Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Floyd guitar

This was a GC/Musician's Friend exclusive (I believe) and my ideal guitar. I first began my love affair with EBMM when I played a Luke III at my GC. I have recently found myself in a more stable economic position, and I decided I needed a new guitar. I enlisted dannyalcatraz to help me out with this, but I'm sorry to say his efforts were wasted, as I found this guitar on my craigslist. It has everything I loved about the Luke III, but even more: a lighter ash body, a floyd bridge, and 24 frets.

The guitar is just a dream. It plays like butter (even with the spaghetti noodle 9-42 set that it currently has), it sounds phenomenal, and it is quite the looker. What blows me away most is that the coil taps (or split, I don't really know which it is, it's hard to find specs and I've never had guitars with them so I don't have a good idea of what they sound like but it is very low noise so I'm guessing taps) actually sound like single coils. Very impressive, very twangy, and super tasty. the PAF Pros are just the tastiest pickups, I had a feeling I would like them, and I do!

Next up, the BOOGIE!

I grabbed up a 1x12 Rect O Verb combo (series 1) after selling my Peavey Ultra Plus and 2x12 cab. I missed the 2-channel Rec I used to have, but I did want something a bit tighter, and this is it.

What can I say, it's a Mesa. The cleans are much better than my old Rec, and ALL the modes are more than usable. The gain, as I have heard and I predicted, is much tighter than my old Rec (which was also run through a 1x12 with a Black Shadow). The reverb is as good as I need. An A+ of an amp.

Now, I damn sure am not hauling this thing back and forth across town to my drummer's house. So, I got this little guy:

A Fender Champ 12! One of the black sheep red knob Fenders, this thing is badass. The guy who had it before me put some old Rola speaker in it, and I guess it must have made all the difference because all the negative I have read about the gain channel on this amp is not true at all. Very awesome, grab and go amp for cleans and gain (not nearly so brutal as the Mesa, but very clear, and mm mm crunchy good). It may help that there is a bunch of vintage glass in there (RCA 6L6 and some Phillips 12AX7s), but regardless of the reasons, I love this little guy. Enough distortion to cover up through 80s thrash and a clean channel that is excellent for country twang and blues.

Lastly, I recently visited my dad in LA, and I wanted a souvenir:

This thing is simply ridiculous. I don't even know what to say other than that. The noises you can get are gnarly and nasty, but just a load of fun. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves making obnoxious noises.

A family photo:

Thanks for looking guys!
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Not too shabby!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Thank you sir! I'm sorry I didn't end up going with your recommendations, I was very close to pulling the trigger on a Godin Velocity though. Sweet guitars, as well as those Levinsons...
Dude!

EBMMs are great guitars! The only reason I don't recommend them is I don't get along with them personally.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

HNGD
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Dude!

EBMMs are great guitars! The only reason I don't recommend them is I don't get along with them personally.

Is it the narrow fretboard?

thanks Cath
Nah, just like with Fenders & Gibsons, there is...something about them doesn't feel right when I strap them on. But their quality is not in question.

I hear you. That's how I feel with most Ibanez guitars. Good instruments, but just not for me
Nice- but there is no such thing as "end game". See you next year at your next ngd
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I'd def like to have a setup like that!

HNGD!
Gear:

Squier Strat
Epiphone Explorer
Agile AL-3100

No AMP
Nice rig. Can't go wrong with EBMM or Mesa, that is for sure. I haven't ever played the fender champ 12.it looks cool as shit. I need a more portable amp, maybe i will look into one.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Holy cow!! Congrats, that's definitely an awesome NGD! I'd be calling in to work sick for a few days.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
what a haul, nicely done dude. Now scoop those mids and give me some chugga of that recto XD
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Watterboy: You'd think, but just to give you an idea, I've had well over 20 different amps pass through my hands, and about half as many guitars, during these last 7 years. I stopped about a year ago to evaluate, and I really think this could be my go-tos! I'll always want some other toy, but the stuff I have here is top-notch, and I won't be selling or trading it.

Trashed: Definitely look into it, but it will probably need a speaker upgrade if the internet is to be believed.

Shred: Scooping mids? Esqueeze me?

I personally think that Rectos sound best with the mids blasting, but I will admit when I was turning knobs I did scoop them out to see, and it was quite impressive.

Thanks guys, its been a long time coming and I really enjoyed trying all the different stuff out to figure out what I liked.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Shred: Scooping mids? Esqueeze me?

I personally think that Rectos sound best with the mids blasting, but I will admit when I was turning knobs I did scoop them out to see, and it was quite impressive.

twas a joke dude, have a 3 channel recto myself and have had a 2 channel in the past and youre right you should run the mids fairly high and it really opens them up
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by shredftw
twas a joke dude, have a 3 channel recto myself and have had a 2 channel in the past and youre right you should run the mids fairly high and it really opens them up

I figured as much. I remembered you having some kind of Rectifier
Quote by dementiacaptain
Watterboy: You'd think, but just to give you an idea, I've had well over 20 different amps pass through my hands, and about half as many guitars, during these last 7 years. I stopped about a year ago to evaluate, and I really think this could be my go-tos! I'll always want some other toy, but the stuff I have here is top-notch, and I won't be selling or trading it.

Never say never!

I know some players who search and then settle into a certain set of gear, but I know far more who keep shopping, buying, selling, etc. You won't know for sure which kind you are until you're dead.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Never say never!

I know some players who search and then settle into a certain set of gear, but I know far more who keep shopping, buying, selling, etc. You won't know for sure which kind you are until you're dead.

Fair enough.

I will say this: I don't think the EBMM has any chance of leaving. While I don't get particularly attached to amps, guitars I like I really stick with. My Strat I've had for several years. My SG and my Ovation I have had since I was about 10 or 12 years old. I can be fairly content with a number of amps (though I feel especially so with this one), but guitar-wise, I'm a bit picky.
Quote by dementiacaptain
Fair enough.

I will say this: I don't think the EBMM has any chance of leaving. While I don't get particularly attached to amps, guitars I like I really stick with. My Strat I've had for several years. My SG and my Ovation I have had since I was about 10 or 12 years old. I can be fairly content with a number of amps (though I feel especially so with this one), but guitar-wise, I'm a bit picky.

i've said that to only to replace everything at some point. the longest held guitar i have at this point is 5 years. the only reason it may make it for the long haul is that it really isn't worth much but works well for certain recording situations. i started with the same mindset yu have but eventually had to concede that as time goes by my playing tastes changed some (or expanded) my gear changed to meet those needs. getting to attached just wasn't an option.
HNGD

I have the same amp. Love it to bits. I got it sounding pretty decent for classic rock too so that's a plus for me
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
HNGD

I have the same amp. Love it to bits. I got it sounding pretty decent for classic rock too so that's a plus for me

Oh yeah, very versatile (as far as Rectifiers go, anyways).
Quote by monwobobbo
i've said that to only to replace everything at some point. the longest held guitar i have at this point is 5 years. the only reason it may make it for the long haul is that it really isn't worth much but works well for certain recording situations. i started with the same mindset yu have but eventually had to concede that as time goes by my playing tastes changed some (or expanded) my gear changed to meet those needs. getting to attached just wasn't an option.

I'm not saying I'm not going to buy MORE

Just that I'm not getting rid of what I have. They are great players, and they all mean something to me, even the MM. It has been a bit of a dream guitar for quite some time.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I'm not saying I'm not going to buy MORE

Just that I'm not getting rid of what I have. They are great players, and they all mean something to me, even the MM. It has been a bit of a dream guitar for quite some time.

nothing wrong with MORE. just sayin that i had a couple of guitars that for years i swore i'd never let go and then i did. not having unlimited funds played a part . for almost 30 years i played guitars with floyds (occasional other locking trems as well) now i don't have a single guitar with one. things change so ya never know.

enjoy for now
excellent I didn't know they did a silhouette with a floyd.

i'd guess splits unless i knew for sure they were taps- taps are fairly rare, at least in humbuckers. do the splits have both pickups on, or can you split the humbuckers individually? if the split is bridge + neck (but split) that could still be noiseless depending on the polarity of the pickup.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
excellent I didn't know they did a silhouette with a floyd.

i'd guess splits unless i knew for sure they were taps- taps are fairly rare, at least in humbuckers. do the splits have both pickups on, or can you split the humbuckers individually? if the split is bridge + neck (but split) that could still be noiseless depending on the polarity of the pickup.

I can split the individual, plus the two together.

And yeah, the floyd rose bridge only came on a couple of different limited runs, one of which was this one that they did with guitar center a few years ago. That's why it's so hard to find specs, as even the spec page from guitar center was inaccurate (it said that this has an alder body, which definitely isn't the case).

Like I said, I'll know when I open it up, but I'm happy either way. The sound is excellent.
Brilliant haul man, congrats I actually don't think I've ever played a Music Man, it shames me to say. Only ever heard great things about them though, and that Silhouette is darn gorgeous besides, I really dig the shape. The rectoverb is sexy too
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
Brilliant haul man, congrats I actually don't think I've ever played a Music Man, it shames me to say. Only ever heard great things about them though, and that Silhouette is darn gorgeous besides, I really dig the shape. The rectoverb is sexy too

Thanks man!

I wish I had a better camera, the picture there doesn't really do the color justice.

Seek EBMMs out though for sure, they are a real player's guitar for sure. Not a lot in the way of frills and fancy paint jobs (though there are some exceptions, looking at you Petrucci), but absolutely killer players and the sound is the best.
I'm not much for frills and fancy paint jobs myself anyhow they're definitely on my list of guitars I need to try and maybe buy, right up there with a nice Suhr and a PRS. Someday dude. Enjoy the new toys, that's really a kick ass rig. Can't imagine you'll want any other upgrades for some time
Quote by dementiacaptain
Thanks man!

I wish I had a better camera, the picture there doesn't really do the color justice.

Seek EBMMs out though for sure, they are a real player's guitar for sure. Not a lot in the way of frills and fancy paint jobs (though there are some exceptions, looking at you Petrucci), but absolutely killer players and the sound is the best.

Even the inexpensive (Sterling) and downright cheap (S.U.B. Series) version of the EBMM's are remarkably good guitars. I think there's something inherent in the design that just works!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Pretty rad NGD

I have been thinking of getting a single recto/rectoverb head, just too broke at this moment. The series 1 can only use 6L6 tubes right and the series 2 is 6L6/EL34?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Pretty rad NGD

I have been thinking of getting a single recto/rectoverb head, just too broke at this moment. The series 1 can only use 6L6 tubes right and the series 2 is 6L6/EL34?

I believe I have a series one and I can use both, but maybe I'm mixed up and I really do have a series two, I can't remember how I figured I had the one but I did...

Arby, I believe you are right, the less expensive models are great as well. Even the old OLP guitars are really good, I've had a couple of buddies with Axis model OLPs that were great, especially considering the price.

It's either the design or that EBMM simply does not put up with BS and won't let sub-par instruments carry their name in any way. It would warm my heart to see that in a company.
Yeah I love the color scheme on that one. Actually considering buying it now

Would give me an excuse to finally sell my Charvel too.
Quote by CL/\SH
Yeah I love the color scheme on that one. Actually considering buying it now

Would give me an excuse to finally sell my Charvel too.

I've got a Silo3 because I wanted the HSS pickup configuration and I'm very happy with it!

I got one like this, can't find it on the US 'bay though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-by-Music-Man-Sub-Series-SILO3MR-Electric-Guitar-RED-/151677845713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2350b440d1
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Aug 7, 2015,
Quote by Arby911 at #33537950
I've got a Silo3 because I wanted the HSS pickup configuration and I'm very happy with it!

I got one like this, can't find it on the US 'bay though...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sterling-by-Music-Man-Sub-Series-SILO3MR-Electric-Guitar-RED-/151677845713?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2350b440d1

I'm very tempted. I bookmarked the one I linked, gonna give it some thought. I really don't need another guitar right now but haven't bought anything nice for myself in a good while now. If no one else picks it up I probably will.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I can split the individual, plus the two together.

And yeah, the floyd rose bridge only came on a couple of different limited runs, one of which was this one that they did with guitar center a few years ago. That's why it's so hard to find specs, as even the spec page from guitar center was inaccurate (it said that this has an alder body, which definitely isn't the case).

Like I said, I'll know when I open it up, but I'm happy either way. The sound is excellent.

and yeah if they're still noiseless when split individually, I dunno. I guess they could just be pretty quiet or maybe the guitar is really well-shielded or whatever. I know EBMM uses splits in some of its other models (like the axis super sport).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?