I'm back to the drawing board on this one. I bought 2 KRK Rockit 5" speakers and am going to send them back - too flat sounding for my taste. I need more bass, so I'm thinking monitors may just not be the right thing.

I'm using Bias FX by the way on IOS.

I was recommended by a Sweetwater rep to get a Behringer floor monitor or the KRKs.

Are there better options out there like a small cabinet?
We're just a battery for hire with the guitar fire
Ready and aimed at you
Pick up your balls and load up your cannon
For a twenty one gun salute
For those about to rock, FIRE!
We salute you
Get a cheap unloaded cabinet and install a 12 inch full range speaker, from 50hz to 18000hz

Maybe a car speaker, they tend to have that range and aren't too expensive to get.

Then you need a power amplifier to drive it, even a car power amp will do.

Just plug your modeling unit's headphones out into the car amp's aux in...
Quote by sfx
Get a cheap unloaded cabinet and install a 12 inch full range speaker, from 50hz to 18000hz

Maybe a car speaker, they tend to have that range and aren't too expensive to get.

Then you need a power amplifier to drive it, even a car power amp will do.

Just plug your modeling unit's headphones out into the car amp's aux in...

Pure
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Seriously though amp modelers are quite popular but it's hard to find info on good ways to listen to them other than headphones. I have studio headphones which sound good, but I don't want to use headphones every time I play. Additionally I live abroad from where my family is, and over skype I'd like to be able to play a little for my dad who was a guitar teacher (and taught me). [he knows nothing about computers and modeling btw so don't suggest I consult him for that!]
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Not sure what youre doing but my KRK Rokit 5s have a ton of low end....... its no dubstep heaven but they should be absolutely fine. I've been running my AxeFx through them for the last 3 years and mixed a load on them, never had any problem with there not being enough low end. Sure it just isn't your EQ on the modeler??
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
Quote by 21GunSalute
I'm back to the drawing board on this one. I bought 2 KRK Rockit 5" speakers and am going to send them back - too flat sounding for my taste. I need more bass, so I'm thinking monitors may just not be the right thing.
Your room probably sucks, these monitors have way too much low end.

Only good for you if you send them back tho, they sound bad even in good rooms.
Quote by 21GunSalute
I was recommended by a Sweetwater rep to get a Behringer floor monitor or the KRKs.
Stop listening to them then.
Quote by 21GunSalute
How much money do you wanna spend?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
Your room probably sucks, these monitors have way too much low end.

Only good for you if you send them back tho, they sound bad even in good rooms.
Stop listening to them then.
How much money do you wanna spend?

In USD around $300. If unreasonable I can save up a bit and go up to maybe 400-$500, but 300 is the point I want (or less but for speakers usually you get what you pay for right?)
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
I'd get a pair of used cheap active speakers then.

Yamy, jbl, evm, mackie...
whatever floats your local craigslist.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
But for practice in my room I don't want to get too loud. Maybe I should just keep these KRKs..
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute
But for practice in my room I don't want to get too loud. Maybe I should just keep these KRKs..

Umm...volume knob?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
KRKs are awful and what you hear is pretty much how they've sounded to me in all the rooms I've listened to them. You'll get the bass if you buy the sub for that model but they'll sound just as flat.
See if you can get a pair of Alesis Studio One Mk IIs, Behringer Truth, M-Audio BX5, that'll fix your issues.
Some of the higher end computer speakers could also work well for this, a friend was using Yamaha that sounded pretty good:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4P02YY5999

But that kinda brings you into used powered monitor territory which will better investment overall. I think you just got unlucky that you picked one of the worst monitors in this range (KRK).

You can also get a little powered PA speaker for around that price that will do, I think there are a few under and around $100:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/gemini-es-10p-active-10-class-ab-loudspeaker
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pa-kpx110p-10-powered-speaker

I'd rather have monitors though, here are a few used options:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-MACKIE-MR5-MK2-5-2-WAY-ACTIVE-STUDIO-MONITOR-SPEAKERS-GCE012910-/221844472215?hash=item33a6f60197
http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-AUDIO-Studiophile-BX8a-Deluxe-Active-Studio-Reference-Monitors-Pair-22171-/131571588617?hash=item1ea2471e09
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alesis-M1-Active-MKII-Studio-Monitors-PAIR-Hi-Quality-GREAT-MONITORS-/191651922808?hash=item2c9f584378
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Event-20-20p-powered-studio-monitor-speaker-amplifer-serviced-working-perfectly-/221846161434?hash=item33a70fc81a
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-Samson-Media-ONE-5A-Active-Studio-Monitors-/141738662833?hash=item2100485bb1
Check out the new Tannoy Reveal powered monitors. Better quality than KRKs and at a lower price (5" & 6" at least).
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the links and detailed info. Unfortunately where I live (the frickin boonies in Japan) the used gear shops are abysmal, ebay exists but NO ONE uses it, and prices on many imported goods are ridiculously high. I was between the Behringer Truths and KRKs before as those and Yamaha hs5 are the only reasonably priced monitors I could find. Probably out of studio monitors for my practice-only purpose the KRKs would be not so different. If there is a new solution I'd be open, but I think for now I have a 30-day return policy so I'll take 2 weeks and tweak bias and see what I can get out of them, then decide from there.

Thank you again
Ready and aimed at you
We salute you
Quote by 21GunSalute

I'm using Bias FX by the way on IOS.

I have the KRK Rokit 8's. Plenty of bass. And that's specifically why I bought them.
OTOH, I'm using a Pod HD (might be better to adjust the modeler than the monitors?). It might not be the monitors as much as it is your "modeler."
Quote by diabolical
Get the Truths then...no Tannoy in Japan (I thought they were Japanese)?
Tannoy was founded in 1926 in england and it's remained there ever since.

Well TS for playing guitar only the rp5's will be fine, it's not worth the trouble to get other monitors.

Either you stick to them and you play around with the amp/modeler setting or you get a pair of pa speakers.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola