Hi there. Been a l-o-o-o-ng time since I've been here properly but I've now got a question, so I'm back.

My band has been using an unpowered mixer along with the perfectly acceptable "the box" MA120 MkII active monitor and its passive counterpart slaved off it. We recently got hold of a powered mixer and rather than splash out on another passive monitor, I was rather hoping I could just install a panel into the active box with a Speakon connector and a switch to alternate between "active" and "slave" mode, depending on what was feeding it.

Now, in my naivete I would probably have just put this switch option in the lines that feed the speakers:

But I've had a sneaky peek inside the passive box and it also seems to have some magical circuitry in there. So, if this is even possible, where else in this rat's nest of black and red wires should an external, amplified signal be fed in?

All input gratefully received, as ever.
Why would you want to do this? Powered monitors are awesome with very specialized components that are engineered and perfectly matched to work together. Turning it into a passive seems so last century.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Because I'm a cheapskate that doesn't want to fork out for another passive speaker. I'm also running out of space to store all this junk.

And I agree, it is awesome as a powered monitor, which is why I wanted it switchable - kind of like how some guitar combos can act as a slave cabinet, bypassing the amp section.

I would have thought austerity and multi-purposing are very this century.
Quote by von Layzonfon
Because I'm a cheapskate that doesn't want to fork out for another passive speaker. I'm also running out of space to store all this junk.

And I agree, it is awesome as a powered monitor, which is why I wanted it switchable - kind of like how some guitar combos can act as a slave cabinet, bypassing the amp section.

I would have thought austerity and multi-purposing are very this century.

Nope, just take a "line level out" signal from the powered board and continue using the powered/slave setup. There is no benefit at all from running monitors from the mixer's powered speaker out and it might overpower and kill your monitor speakers quickly leaving you with no monitors at all. Use the mixer "speaker out" to run your mains. Different tools for different jobs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 7, 2015,
If it's Bi-amped, good luck. This means there's two seperate internal amps, one for the tweeter the other for the speaker.
Otherwise, you could just tap into the crossover providing your mixer is not too powerful, the unit's only rated at 120 watts so be careful.
It'd require a bit more ingenuity on the switching, just imagine if you managed to turn the internal speaker amp on while the passive mixer was plugged in. Boom.
I'm just figuring here, take it as you will. If you have the knowledge, go for it.
I personally like powered monitors and passive mains.
..I was watching my death.
Quote by timbit2006
If it's Bi-amped, good luck. This means there's two seperate internal amps, one for the tweeter the other for the speaker.
Otherwise, you could just tap into the crossover providing your mixer is not too powerful, the unit's only rated at 120 watts so be careful.
It'd require a bit more ingenuity on the switching, just imagine if you managed to turn the internal speaker amp on while the passive mixer was plugged in. Boom.
I'm just figuring here, take it as you will. If you have the knowledge, go for it.
I personally like powered monitors and passive mains.

Ha ha. Thanks for the thoughts. I'm already figuring it's too much like hard work.

Excellent avatar, by the way. One of my favourite albums from my youth. TOTENTANZ!