So,

I have an old squire strat, but the electronics are bust and it doesn't hold tune.

Instead of throwing it away I decided I'd make another guitar using its bolt on neck, nothing incredibly high quality, but nice enough.

So whereabouts can I buy a nice-ish strat body, for an affordable price (£100 most)

In addition, whereabouts can I buy hardware for said guitar at a similar standard?

Any general advice for the build also welcome.

Thanks in advance
get a used one on ebay. Alder preferably. I'm curious what everyone's beloved guitar fetish bodies are made out of.

grover , gotoh , sperzel or schaller tuners
a graphtech tusq nut
micro mesh pads to polish the frets

pickguards a few places come to mind but I'd start with the ebay seller IKNMusic their strat pickguards are about 11$ (us dollar so less in UK) with free shipping. They are all 3 ply / 11 holes. Worst you'll have to do is re-drill some holes.

pickups are pickups , with a strat you can do any configuration if the routing is right

bridges guitar fetish brass block bridge is nice it's about 20-40$ (us dollar) plus shipping

and electronics is for another reply. If you can solder and really want to push the strat I can give you many ideas.
Irongear pickups are great and fairly cheap in the uk

Tonerider are also a great value in the UK
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The GFS pickups are quite nice (from guitar fetish). I would agree with keeping the body. I would spend the cash on parts. Maybe sand and repaint the body. If you just want to build one, you can get a cheap strat kit from guitar fetish for under $100. I would suggest upgrading the basic pickups and tuners though.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
For about 120 pounds (including shipping) you could get a custom routed strat body from Rockaudio. Very happy with mine. The body itself was 135 USD and shipping (with some other parts) 52 USD. You do need to pay VAT and customs, but still a pretty good deal in my opinion.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
You can tell if it's eager, because you put your hand down her pants and it feels like a horse eating oats.

Nicest compliment on my looks:
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Putting the 'sex' in 'convicted sex offender'.
Quote by 12wilsonh1
So,

I have an old squire strat, but the electronics are bust and it doesn't hold tune.

Instead of throwing it away I decided I'd make another guitar using its bolt on neck, nothing incredibly high quality, but nice enough.

So whereabouts can I buy a nice-ish strat body, for an affordable price (£100 most)

In addition, whereabouts can I buy hardware for said guitar at a similar standard?

Any general advice for the build also welcome.

Thanks in advance

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I saw some on guitarhuggers.com a while ago, and I think they normally have them. You can also get replacement parts, and what's nice is that they are pull off parts. I bought a Les Paul body from them and it seems to have done the job, though I will warn you the parts are used, but they are generally in nice condition.
Quote by 12wilsonh1

I have a strat body from them. Still need to actually do the wiring(got an HSS with a rear control rout, because I'm a masochist), but I keep finding stuff to do(like staring aimlessly into space), because I hate soldering.

Turned up quickly enough, haven't seen any reason to think I wasted the cash yet.

Apart from the hideous paint job, but a bet is a bet
(Invalid img) I must agree with eoj02, try "guitarfetish". I've bought items threw them(body & pickup for Frankenstrat) & I was not disappointed(and reasonably priced too).
Last edited by dstewa at Sep 5, 2015,