Hello!
I have played a Orange Dark terror in my local store and I was blown away by the tone.
I am in love. But I have a problem. Is this amp will be loud enough to copmete with drummer and the rest of the band in rehearsal thgrough 1x12?
I read a lot about this but people give different answears. Even in the store.
In first one they said that this will be enough and in another store they told me that is probably not gonna do the job . I don't need clean sound I am more into high gain stuff.

1x12 ONLY please. I am going to another city for college and will be moving a lot so my option is only 1x12.
Should be fine, I managed to cut through with my TT combo against a 100 watt solid state amp and drummer through a PA so it should be fine. You can't really compete against a 4x12 100 watt tube stack but for normal jamming it should be fine.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 7, 2015,
Sorry the drummer was through a PA (kicks). I just cranked the amp but had it on top of a chair which put it closer to face level I guess. Sounded great. If you're not practicing with neanderthals that want to always be at full blast you should be fine.
If you're thinking you need more power - check out DSL40C and Traynor YCV50B.
^ at reharsals?
Yeah, tho you won't get any tight stuff nor a deep bass.

At gigs?
Nothing will work at gigs unless you have a pa system.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I will lose some tightness because the amp will be crank?

Actually I did play a DSL40c it was good. But I personally prefer the dark terrors tone. I will probably will go with DSL if I won't be sure about the Orange. Will try to find a Traynor.
Quote by EY8CC
I will lose some tightness because the amp will be crank?
Yup.

It takes much more power to properly reproduce bass than to reproduce treble (10 times the power for half the frequency) at the same volume, so you'll get some flabby bass response at high volumes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
If you had a very efficient speaker, I'd think you could do just fine. I know that when I swapped my 6505's Sheffield for an Eminence Governor, it was like I had turned the volume up one whole number on the dial (which means it was quite a bit louder). Eminence Governors, Swamp Thangs, and Celestion V 30s are extremely loud speakers.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I tried the OR15 in a band setting and it was not loud enough for my needs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For some it is plenty, for others it isn't.

I play in fairly loud bands and for me it didn't have enough clean headroom. I'm not big on mixing hi-gain preamp with overdriven power tubes, it sounds messy as hell.

Your best bet is to go try one out and see if you like the volume levels it can reach.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
For some it is plenty, for others it isn't.

I play in fairly loud bands and for me it didn't have enough clean headroom. I'm not big on mixing hi-gain preamp with overdriven power tubes, it sounds messy as hell.

Your best bet is to go try one out and see if you like the volume levels it can reach.

I don't play clean that much.
I need to try it with drums but I can't do that.
Quote by EY8CC
I don't play clean that much.
I need to try it with drums but I can't do that.

I'm not talking about clean sounds, I'm talking about clean headroom.
Clean headroom is how loud you can turn the master volume up befor you start to introduce power tube clipping.

Modern styles of rock/metal/punk use preamp gain, classic rock used power tube distortion. these sound very different from each other. My experience was at the volumes I play there was too much power amp distortion introduced to the preamp gain and it turns the sound very muddy/messy and I didn't like it. At lower volumes it sounded just fine, it was just not enough for band use.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I'm not talking about clean sounds, I'm talking about clean headroom.
Clean headroom is how loud you can turn the master volume up befor you start to introduce power tube clipping.

Modern styles of rock/metal/punk use preamp gain, classic rock used power tube distortion. these sound very different from each other. My experience was at the volumes I play there was too much power amp distortion introduced to the preamp gain and it turns the sound very muddy/messy and I didn't like it. At lower volumes it sounded just fine, it was just not enough for band use.

Oh. I thought tube amps sounds good when they are cranked, solid state and modeling sounds not. Or I misunderstood you?
Sorry I don't have experience with amps
Last edited by EY8CC at Aug 8, 2015,
Quote by EY8CC
Oh. I thought tube amps sounds good when they are cranked, solid state and modeling sounds not. Or I misunderstood you?
Sorry I don't have experience with amps

Yes they do tend to sound better louder, but with only 15watts of clean headroom you run the risk of power tube distortion.

Another thing with lower wattage amps is when you turn them up, the bass tends to fizz out
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I owned a Dark Terror and absolutely loved it through a 4x12. I got tired of lugging around the 4x12, bought an Orange 112 and quickly got tired of it and ended up trading both in. It made a huge difference in volume going from 4x12 to 1x12. The Orange 112 was too honky for me. I tried breaking it in but gave up too quickly I guess. The best thing would probably be to get a 2x12 if you don't mind carrying t it around.
How I run my RM20 at gigs is to put it on an angled stand right beside me, facing the rest of the band and hang a mike (Sennheiser e609) in front of it for FoH. I am running a V30 in it and only need the master volume at just past 12:00.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by michaelrendon1111
I owned a Dark Terror and absolutely loved it through a 4x12. I got tired of lugging around the 4x12, bought an Orange 112 and quickly got tired of it and ended up trading both in. It made a huge difference in volume going from 4x12 to 1x12. The Orange 112 was too honky for me. I tried breaking it in but gave up too quickly I guess. The best thing would probably be to get a 2x12 if you don't mind carrying t it around.

I don't understand how the amount of speakers can change the volume with the same wattage. Doesn't the power just spread?
Quote by EY8CC
I don't understand how the amount of speakers can change the volume with the same wattage. Doesn't the power just spread?

If you double the surface area of the speakers with the same wattage you get about 3dB louder which is noticeable.

Now this does not go infinitely
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Aug 9, 2015,
I have Orange Tiny Terror which is pretty much the same amp but different voicing (I need overdrive to get it to metal territory). If you're playing with respectful musicians it will be loud enough. It definitely cuts above drums, you might get power distortion but shouldn't be a bad thing, I don't see why people in metal tend to stay away from power section distortion on this forum.
If you're playing with some idiots (I have in teh past and will probably in the future), all bets are off. Some guitarists are simply deaf and will bring in a full stack of 2 4x12s and crank it full. It really depends on the situation.
The combo will be fine, if you find the need to expand it you can always get a 2x12 down the road.

BTW Chappers is a douche, he'd do anything for Youtube ratings so don't base your decision on him.
Quote by diabolical
I have Orange Tiny Terror which is pretty much the same amp but different voicing (I need overdrive to get it to metal territory). If you're playing with respectful musicians it will be loud enough. It definitely cuts above drums, you might get power distortion but shouldn't be a bad thing, I don't see why people in metal tend to stay away from power section distortion on this forum.
If you're playing with some idiots (I have in teh past and will probably in the future), all bets are off. Some guitarists are simply deaf and will bring in a full stack of 2 4x12s and crank it full. It really depends on the situation.
The combo will be fine, if you find the need to expand it you can always get a 2x12 down the road.

BTW Chappers is a douche, he'd do anything for Youtube ratings so don't base your decision on him.

When you mix pre amp hi-gain with a distorted power section, you tend to get a muddy tone. That is why metal/hard-rock guitarists don't use power amp distortion
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
When you mix pre amp hi-gain with a distorted power section, you tend to get a muddy tone. That is why metal/hard-rock guitarists don't use power amp distortion

I don't agree on this at all...and we've been there before

OP - think two speakers, two boxes that disperse about the same amount of sound. The biggest difference between your amp and say a Marshall 50 watter head is that the head goes through 4 speakers (usually) so it gets more sound dispersal as to one speaker would choke when pushed harder.