Purchased my first guitar with a floyd rose about a month ago, (Mint condition Jackson SL2Q with a flight case off craiglist for $400 ) and have a question regarding the restringing process.

Whenever I put new strings on a guitar without a floyd rose, theres the period for about an hour afterward where the strings will detune during playing while adjusting to the newly applied tension. Normally i just play a lot of leads and frequently bend/vibrato on the strings in order to break them in so they hold a tune.

When/Does this need to be done in the restringing process for a floyd? Wasn't sure whether or not this needs to be done before I lock up the nut after they've all been replaced.
They don't sleep anymore on the beach..
Just stretch the strings after you first tune it before locking the nut.
When they go flat, tune up and stretch them again. Repeat until the strings don't go out of tune anymore.

You don't have to tug them so much as they can break. Just slight pressure.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
This ^.

Make sure when you stretch them you don't yank them, smoothly increase the tension by pulling the string and then repeat if needed.

You should really do this regardless of whether you have a Floyd or not, it's just with a Floyd it will be more apparent if you don't stretch the strings because the bridge will move.
Use your trem arm a bit - do a few dive bombs, squeels, whatever - just abuse her and after a bit she won't go out of tune.
If you have a recessed/floating trem you can pull-up on, it makes stretching strings a lot quicker and easier than a hard tail or dive only trem. After restringing and getting it tuned up to pitch. Leave the nut unlocked and just start doing some light strumming and doing some gentle pull-ups on the bar. Then slowly re tune back to pitch and repeat with strumming and pull-ups and tuning back up to pitch. This gently and quickly stretches all the strings at the same time with minimal hassle. Once it all levels out, lock the nut and you should be set.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention before you start the tuning and stretching process. Make sure you have the fine tuners on the bridge at their center of travel (equal amount of thread above & below the plate). And the key is to do everything gently and slowly. This way you wont risk snapping any of the higher unwound strings. And after you lock the nut down you will possibly have to fine tune at the bridge to get back to pitch since it may pull things a little sharp when locking. As long as the retainer bar at the headstock is adjusted properly it should be very minimal, if any at all.
Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Aug 8, 2015,