So I got this Framus Diablo a couple years back from a little nan and pop type store for a steal at $400. They had no idea what it was, thinking it was just a no name strat copy. It was a little beat up, set up was terrible and there were a few things that needed a bit of attention on it.
I figured at that price I may as well just pick it up. I didn't play it for a long time because it was massively uncomfortable, the bridge saddle screws were way too long and dug into your right hand when you played it and was like 14 with no knowledge, means or money to get it set up.
I decided for some unknown reason to pull it out and play around with it a week or so ago. I strung it up, got the action and trem set up so it was playable and plugged it in. I'd forgotten how good it sounded! Tone wise, it sits pretty nicely between a Tele and a strat, being able to get the harsh, twangy sound from the bridge pickup and still manage a pretty reasonable strat impersonation in the middle positions, albeit a little hotter and more aggressive.
I decided to go to work with it. I cleaned it up, filed down the saddle screws so they don't stick so far out, sanded back and put a few coats of a Warwick wax based surface finisher I had laying around on the neck as well as putting a couple of coats on the body and tidied up the electronics, getting rid of a bit of noise.
Overall I'm massively happy with it. I really wish I'd have made an effort and got it sorted out sooner. I'm still not sure if I want to keep it yet though. While it feels super solid and high quality, I'm not sure it feels quite 'right'. It might just take a while for me to get used to. We'll see.
Anyway, pictures! I haven't got any from before I started work on it, but cosmetically it was pretty similar. Just less clean and nice looking I guess. Apologies for the subpar phone pictures.

[404]Signature not found
Nice!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jmaguire
S I'm still not sure if I want to keep it yet though. While it feels super solid and high quality, I'm not sure it feels quite 'right'. It might just take a while for me to get used to. We'll see.

"Feel" is a weird thing, and often depends on what you're already used to. I handed a Suhr to a friend of mine who plays a really crappy Squier, and he assumed it was a piece of junk (he wasn't familiar with the brand) because "the finish is too perfect" and "the frets are too slick" and he was used to scratchy and clunky bits on his guitar giving him tactile location cues.
Yeah, if you don't bond with it, I'm sure someone will give you $400 for it.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I think the biggest thing is that I'm used to playing f-spaced bridges. That along with the rounder neck than I'm used to is taking a bit to feel comfortable with.
I've put it up for trade in a few places to see what I get but I am enjoying it and see it becoming a feature in pretty much any recording I do so I'm happy to keep it.
[404]Signature not found
Well that looks pretty good! But in the Australian used market I doubt I'd sell it for any more than $1500 because it's not a Fender, Gibson or Ibanez
[404]Signature not found
Wow! Good for you! When I read that it was a "steal at $400", I was skeptical.
It looks like you found a diamond in the rough. If you don't like it, you can triple your money and get something you love.

Good looking out for a deal like that!!
Sweet very nice I didn't know framus did an SSS diablo. Maybe it's an older model with the framus pickups and stamped-saddles on the trem.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didn't think they did either, and doing some research, I still can't find any info on one

Edit: and yeah, it is an older guitar. Judging by the serial, it was made in '98.
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Aug 8, 2015,
yeah that's before i even played guitar
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jmaguire
Not far off before I was born

hahahahaha

I mean...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by jpnyc
$400 for a Framus? That’s one of the best deals I’ve ever heard of.

And in Australia too! Was pretty stoked.
[404]Signature not found
Nice and woody. And bolt-on.
Pics are too small though
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
I know it's not really totally kosher to do this, but I'm looking to sell this if anyone is in Australia and interested. Turns out I don't totally gel with it and think someone else would probably get more out of it than I do. PM me if you're keen.
[404]Signature not found