When I was doing research on this pedal, I came across varying opinions. "People swear by it", "it sounds too processed", "it's just marketing to ignorant consumers", "it's night and day difference". I could never really get an answer if it was good or not, so I had to get one myself. I found one for $62, I think it was used/open box.

As far as the phase correction (a slight delay between the bass and treble frequencies), that isn't noticeable. What is noticeable is the EQ bump the pedal gives. At extreme settings, your amp will have a lot of low-bass resonance (Lo Contour) or tin-y highs (Process). However, boosting those parameters never covers up the other frequencies, nor do they get extremely overbearing.

For squeaky-clean amps, this pedal gives an almost compression like effect to the tone. Really great for funk or ambient rhythms. For heavy dirt, it can give a sense of hi-fi timbre to the tone but it can end up sounding digital quickly. Really, the sound of the parameters function much like resonance and presence controls on an amp would.

I would say that if you have to use the Sonic Stomp at extreme settings, you need to do something better with your rig that is more than just a pedal fix. This pedal is best used as an always-on signal enhancer at subtle levels. Used correctly, it can give a bit of tightness and clarity to your tone.

I use it so that I can back off the treble on the AC30. I use a bit of tone cut and have the Sonic Stomp get me the full way to a sparkly clean tone. That way I don't end up overloading the mic with treble frequencies. The Sonic Stomp could also be used to adjust tones for different guitars.
yeah i've heard conflicting things too. i used the "it's a gimmick marketed to noobs" thing as an excuse not to get one
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ive had one on my board for years and i like it. i keep the low contour at noon and back the high off to about 10-11 oclock.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by Will Lane
"it's just marketing to ignorant consumers"
Congrats, you found the right choice.

Were you putting it in the fx loop at least?
'cause if you weren't you were using it wrong.
I mean not wrong in the sense that it's wrong, but in the sense that it was designed to do something and to work as it's designed you gotta put it in the fx loop, tho if it sounds good there it's right for you, end of the story.

That little red marketing box is designed to correct phase issues caused by other things, and the thing that causes most issues is the amp's EQ, so putting it before everything is a waste of money, and even putting it right before the pre after other pedals isn't that smart of a choice imo.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Just tried it in a mix. It does give a sense of processing to the sound, kind of reminiscent of what a good patch on a POD HD500 would sound like. It sounds good though. I do notice a bit more clarity and punch. A good $62. And yes it's in the loop, last in my chain.

I also think I figured out why I had such a bad noise/power issue last night. I had the Sonic Stomp on top my AC30, and when plugged into power (either battery or supply) it hummed really bad. I guess a lot of EMI leaks out the back of the pedal. It's sitting on the floor at the back of my amp now and it's quiet. The Analogizer doesn't make any noticeable noise on top my amp. There also could be ground looping, but I'm troubleshooting that later today.
Quote by Spambot_2
That little red marketing box is designed to correct phase issues caused by other things, and the thing that causes most issues is the amp's EQ, so putting it before everything is a waste of money, and even putting it right before the pre after other pedals isn't that smart of a choice imo.
I was told it was the speaker that causes the delay between high and low frequencies.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 9, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Congrats, you found the right choice.

Were you putting it in the fx loop at least?
'cause if you weren't you were using it wrong.
I mean not wrong in the sense that it's wrong, but in the sense that it was designed to do something and to work as it's designed you gotta put it in the fx loop, tho if it sounds good there it's right for you, end of the story.

I wouldnt call it a gimmick.. It does what it says it does. The result isnt dramatic (unless you get drastic with the knobs- to be honest, I prefer to have the option with equipment to go way above and beyond with controls rather than be limited to a minimal sweep, even if the excess isnt usable); but people definitely pay wayy more money for other pieces of gear that have a less drastic effect on tone than a sonic stomp, yet nothing gets bashed as much as the BBE. I own a bbe rack unit; i dont use it because I dont feel the prefence to. But i wouldnt say that its just a useless gimmick
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Will Lane
I was told it was the speaker that causes the delay between high and low frequencies.
If it's a one way speaker it will cause phase distortion because guitar speakers suck from the tech point of view, but it's nothing you want to counter.

Anyway one way speakers don't cause nearly as much phase distortion as whatever minimum phase (so your everyday) eq.

Thing is, you don't even need to counter the phase distortion caused from the amp's eq.
It makes no sense in that setting.
Quote by Watterboy
I wouldnt call it a gimmick.. It does what it says it does.
So does an apple watch, and I still think it's a gimmick, even if not as much as the sonic maximizer.
Quote by Watterboy
people definitely pay wayy more money for other pieces of gear that have a less drastic effect on tone than a sonic stomp, yet nothing gets bashed as much as the BBE.
That's 'cause the sonic maximizer is marketed as something with a great effect on your sound and is exclusively bought by people who don't have a technical understanding of what it does.

No offense, but everybody who buys it buys it because of the advertisement.

Then some say it sucks and some say it's good for the money, but nobody buys it because of what it does to your sound to begin with.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I've had one in my setup for a few years now and I do like it. I have the Lo Contour set at around 12:30 and the process at 11:30. It is definitely subtle and I'd agree with Will that it does give your tone a "hifi" sound which isn't for everyone. I remember the first time I plugged it in I actually didn't even notice a difference until I switched it off.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
I had a rack mount version (Sonic Maximizer 462? )
I ran it in the effects loop of my modded AD30VT Valvetronix.
Made a difference and sounded nice.

Tried it with my AC30 and couldn't hear ANY difference at all.

On the other hand, the model I have is an older one so maybe they improved it.
I have had mine for quite a few years and it is always on when I play gigs. Like others have said I find mid level settings are good for me. I have mine set for 1 o'clock setting on both controls. My gigs vary and I do quite a bit of very clean playing and that's when it really does a nice job of adding a little sparkle and clarity to my guitars especially my semi or hollow bodies electrics. When I do gigs that are more heavy rock oriented with Les Paul's and a more distorted sound, the effect is more limited but I would expect that with the overdrives coloring the sound. I love the BBE and for a $100.00 new ($40-50.00 used) I think it's money well spent.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
if I use my pedal board my Sonic Stomp is on ..... it's sounds as advertised to me , quote from BBE "it sounds like taking a blanket off your speaker" .... which it does to me , no gimmick
it may take a "blanket off your speaker" but your bass player is already making plans to bury you in a shallow grave.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
I had a sonic maximizer for a while. I liked it at first, but over time it just had this odd tonality that I began to get sick of, so I sold it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2

That's 'cause the sonic maximizer is marketed as something with a great effect on your sound and is exclusively bought by people who don't have a technical understanding of what it does.

No offense, but everybody who buys it buys it because of the advertisement.

Then some say it sucks and some say it's good for the money, but nobody buys it because of what it does to your sound to begin with.

Nothing like exaggerations and generalizations to make a point - e.g. "exclusively bought", "everybody who buys it"....

With your argument, I guess the entire concept of a plazma television should have been avoided since the vast majority of consumers do not have a technical understanding of how they work, but just liked the picture quality.

A little over the top, in my opinion.
Quote by MAChiefs
With your argument, I guess the entire concept of a plazma television should have been avoided since the vast majority of consumers do not have a technical understanding of how they work, but just liked the picture quality.
Most people who buy the sonic maximizer haven't even ever heard how it sounds tho.

TS is the first indication of this, and I'm convinced the rest of the other people here who have or had it bought it out of curiosity without knowing how it would sound.

Mine weren't exaggerations.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
Most people who buy the sonic maximizer haven't even ever heard how it sounds tho.

TS is the first indication of this, and I'm convinced the rest of the other people here who have or had it bought it out of curiosity without knowing how it would sound.

Thats the deal with pretty much any decent piece of gear these days though. You can go to your local guitarcenter, but most of them just carry junk (atleast the one near me does). I am more often than not taking a chance on the products that I order offline; my only sources of information are youtube videos and product descriptions. Lets face it- EVERY manufacturer oversells their products. When you look up a guitar amp, the descriptions are always the same "CRUSHING low end, thick growling midrange, and crisp sparkling highs". All the same shit every time. Some people may actually find the low end to be crushing, and then others like myself feel you can just dial in most amps to all sound the same.

Some people find minute subtle tonal differences to be HUGE; and thats fine. Im actually glad there are people like that because they can point out the differences in gear that I personally cant. I think the BBE does what it says its gonna do (functionality wise). Some people find it to be totally earth shattering and others find it useless (as with practically any other piece of gear).
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Spambot_2

I did buy it out of curiosity to see if it would work for me, but I listened to many a demo on the youtube beforehand.
Last edited by Will Lane at Aug 12, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

Isn't that really the only reason why we buy any piece of gear whether it's a pedal, amp or guitar? Aren't we all "curious" as to how something will sound and potentially improve our tone.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Last edited by KillRoy Ver 3.0 at Aug 12, 2015,