I'll try to keep as simple as possible.

I have a Les Paul-type guitar. As you can from my signature, it has a SD Custom 5 (a hotter '59 with expanded bottom end) on the bridge, which sounds muddy at times and has more output than I really need.

I like to play indie and shoegaze, so I need a nice sparkly clean base tone. I have fallen in love with the tone of Jazzmaster (that warm tone with bright highs), but until I can get my hands on a JM, I'm better off installing a pup that suits me better.

I've narrowed my options to these two: a regular PAF-type pickup to match it with the neck, or try a retrofit P-90 , but I'm not sure which one is my best option.

PAF: +matches with neck pup; less output for clearer tone; versatile
-it's a humbucker; don't know if it can get me that clean tone I'm aiming for

P-90: +just might be what I need; single-coil highs with humbucker bass response
-I have no experience with P-90s; don't how versatile they are if I ever need a heavier tone

I'm going with GFS to save me some money, but I'm open to any other suggestions, just try to keep them budget-friendly.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
If you want bright highs, I would avoid anything with covers. For an inexpensive P90, I agree that the GFS Dream 90s and Mean 90s are worth a look. I like SD jazz, because they are the brightest standard humbuckers that SD make, though next time I would likely look at the vintage style Dimarzios with 12 screw poles.
http://www.riograndepickups.com/lil-bastard

Or a bit hotter:
http://www.riograndepickups.com/bastard-2

This one is two P90's in humbucker format. So P90 when split, humbucker with both coils running:
http://www.riograndepickups.com/dirty-harry-humbucking
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just to point out (since it looks like you don't know; if you do, I apologise ), most P90s are as hot as most PAFs. So I'm not sure I'd pick a P90 thinking it's necessarily going to be any better for cleans than a PAF-style humbucker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ That's a good idea- I always forget about Gretsch-style pickups because I haven't tried them. But they do have the rep of being a lot janglier and cleaner than PAF-types. I think you can get them in PAF-size as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
Just to point out (since it looks like you don't know; if you do, I apologise ), most P90s are as hot as most PAFs. So I'm not sure I'd pick a P90 thinking it's necessarily going to be any better for cleans than a PAF-style humbucker.

Thank you, I was not aware of that. I will definitely have it present.

Quote by Tony Done
Another option for bright is low output Gretsch-type humbuckers, like GFS Memphis. I have these in one guitar and they are comparable in brightness and output to the standard strat SC type I have in the middle position. Lotsa jangle without any icepick.

That sounds like a good compromise to me, I just had a good look and I'll take the Alnico V Liverpools into consideration. You have certainly made my decision even harder.

Basically, the problem comes down to having used humbuckers my entire life, and try to reconcile that fact with my new-found love of single-coils and jangle. I'm pretty much jumping out of my comfort zone.
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay