Hey all;

Looking for some thoughts from the community here...

I have a home studio and have taken a few steps to ensure security.

1. I book by appointment only.
2. I do not publish my address. This information is only given upon booking.
3. I have a "you are being video recorded" sticker on my door.

Despite my best efforts, I had a band come in that has some plusses and minuses.

Plus:
- signed to a small label that is a partnering with a major label for a compilation release.
- Canadian band with good press, even as far away as the UK
- they want to record their album with me.

Minus:
- the singer has a... history. She was originally charged with murder. The crown withdrew that charge, but she was subsequently charged with being an accessory to robbery. She spent two years in prison. (her and her then boyfriend were heroin addicts who robbed a guy for his medications that he was on... he died in the process)

Which leads me to the question - What do you do to ensure the safety of your gear, your self, and your family when people come in to record?

Interested in whatever you have to offer.

Thanks!
CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
ADT security 24/7 monitoring. That's as best as you can do. Meet the band beforehand in a neutral location to get a feel for the people. Book the first session (drum tracking) in commercial studio, then take to home studio for the rest.
Good suggestions. Thx.

Obviously, I have to be a little more pragmatic about who gets in and how. Meeting in a neutral location is an easy suggestion.

Does the 24/7 monitoring just monitor for broken locks (doors/windows, etc.) or can it be set up to monitor activity in the house, like a camera in the studio, for instance?

Thx!
CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I believe ADT offers in home video recording. I know someone mentioned it when I was looking up some quotes.
I had window and door triggers installed and put in motion sensors that crossed in the important areas of the house. I didn't need the video monitoring and recording, as I'd hate to have someone looking in at all times, but you can get that if you want.
If you want just recording, you can easily setup the cams yourself by getting DYI home security system and even select trigger and sensitivity zones, so it starts to record only when there is movement on the zones you pick.
You can then have that trigger emails or web video that you can view on your smartphone, PC, tablet, etc.
Welcome to the music biz. Sometimes talented musicians are dangerous folks and sometimes people get killed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Dolphin_(music_producer)

Rule #1: If you want to record commercially, don't invite sketchy folks to your family home, get a commercial studio address in an industrial park.

Ignoring rule #1, add layers of security. Gated property, big dogs, motion sensing lighting and video surveillance, hardened doors, barred windows and heavy duty locks, cans of bear spray, 12 GA shotgun. If they get past all this, the cops can't save you.

Personally I had ADT alarm and video service for 5 years in a commercial property and thought they were beyond worthless. $80/month down the rathole. Did not renew after the contract expired. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Last edited by Cajundaddy at Aug 10, 2015,
If they're gonna steal from you, they're gonna do it right then and there during the session, they're not going to come back that night to break in. I've been burned a few too many times by heroin addicts (and 'ex' addicts) and wouldn't take a chance like that in a home studio, or any studio. Unless I know a person closely and personally and have seen them clean up and trust them wholeheartedly, I would not trust them around my equipment.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Big dogs are probably the best but unfortunately they also end up on your track. I know this from experience. My dalmatian was in pain when this moron was cutting his vocal tracks and you can actually hear him bleeding in through the condenser mic way in the background. It had an eerie "bark at the moon" effect
Seriously though, a nice lab/boxer/etc. will go a long way and beat most of the alarm systems. Plus, you'll have a studio mascot.
The studio I went to recently had an old mutt going by the name "Liberace". Laughed my *ss off

Heroin junkies are bad news man, they'd slice you in a heartbeat for the next fix. Chicks usually are not that aggressive, but you never know. If the rest of the band is clean I guess you're probably okay, but I'd rather book that kind of people in a studio session. Luckily, I still have access to the studio I worked at and get preferred rates there and can do that. Don't know what to tell you there. Most likely better to work off from a commercial studio or offer to do pre-production with the band in their rehearsal space on a remote to rig to get a feel for them.
Last edited by diabolical at Aug 11, 2015,
I just stick to recording people I know, or their bands, and that way I'm not really likely to have much of an issue. I don't really treat audio engineering as a career these days because of the way the industry has been going generally, so it's more a hobby in my free time that happens to pay.

P.S I have a guard cat
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I installed a couple of dropcams at my studio. A simpli safe kit (similar to ADT). But most important everything valuable is bolted or chained in a way that makes it a massive pain in the ass to take. Most burglars want small valuable things like jewelry and such. Studio gear is not as worth it. So secure it and all, and get insurance. Beyond that, there is not much you can do.
As a some what cheap alternative, maybe look at renting a heated and powered self storage facility for the duration of the record. You could setup a temporary secure remote studio location for the albums tracking and have the piece of mind of not having them in your home studio environment.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.