Poll: It is wrong to shame someone based on their opinions on a particular piece of media
Poll Options
View poll results: It is wrong to shame someone based on their opinions on a particular piece of media
Agree
10 63%
Disagree
6 38%
Voters: 16.
Page 1 of 2
I believe it is wrong to shame someone based on whether they like, dislike, or are indifferent to any piece of media.

Agree or disagree?

Much of my favourite music is widely regarded as being garbage. However, I cannot change my appreciation of it, nor do I see any benefit in trying to abandon something I enjoy. Likewise, there is a lot of music that I recognise the value of, but don't enjoy listening to.
I'm sure many people can relate to this, whether they prefer Nickelback over The Beatles, or My Little Pony over Game of Thrones.

Is subjective appreciation of something valid, or are some opinions just unacceptable?
I think we should doggedly embrace the reality of conflict and constantly attack each other over everything we say, think and do
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
I hate that shit. Looking down on others for having different taste or an indifference to expand their palette is dumb. Not everyone likes the same thing YOU JERKS. It's a really dumb mentality but so many people still think "lol if ppl knew better they would also like what I like, I'm so good"
i wish people would stop pretending like opinions are this infallible thing that shields you from criticism. just because you say "well it's my opinion" doesn't mean it's immune to being ripped if it's a stupid or shitty opinion

nor are you "entitled" to your opinion. the only time you should have an opinion is if you are informed, otherwise you're spreading misinformation and that is a far greater crime than "opinion shaming"

inb4 well that's just like your opinion, man
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
i wish people would stop pretending like opinions are this infallible thing that shields you from criticism. just because you say "well it's my opinion" doesn't mean it's immune to being ripped if it's a stupid or shitty opinion

nor are you "entitled" to your opinion. the only time you should have an opinion is if you are informed, otherwise you're spreading misinformation and that is a far greater crime than "opinion shaming"

Would you say this applies to someone's personal experience?

Let's say you like a band. You're not saying that they're the pinnacle of music and that everyone should listen to them. That would be up to debate and not immune from criticism. But if you speak only about yourself, that you enjoy listening to them, how can other people prove you wrong? The perceived quality of the music is an opinion, but your appreciation of it is a fact. You're not spreading misinformation by saying you like it.
I'm sure many people can relate to this, whether they prefer Nickelback over The Beatles, or My Little Pony over Game of Thrones.

All of those suck though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
All of those suck though.

But GoT has tits, and is therefore objectively the best of the 4.
Quote by sashki
Would you say this applies to someone's personal experience?

Let's say you like a band. You're not saying that they're the pinnacle of music and that everyone should listen to them. That would be up to debate and not immune from criticism. But if you speak only about yourself, that you enjoy listening to them, how can other people prove you wrong? The perceived quality of the music is an opinion, but your appreciation of it is a fact. You're not spreading misinformation by saying you like it.

it sure would IF and only if you're trying to educate someone who is uninformed. but opinions about bands and music are mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, inconsequential to mostly everything

and it's not about proving someone right or wrong. it's not about proving anything, really. it's about recognizing what an opinion is--you and i know what we mean, but there are far too many ****ing thousands of thousands of thousands of people who bandy about their god damn shit ass opinions and then get all uptight when someone says anything about it, as if they can't possibly fathom how anyone could criticize them because "it's my opinion"
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠ at #33540485
it sure would IF and only if you're trying to educate someone who is uninformed. but opinions about bands and music are mostly irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, inconsequential to mostly everything

and it's not about proving someone right or wrong. it's not about proving anything, really. it's about recognizing what an opinion is--you and i know what we mean, but there are far too many ****ing thousands of thousands of thousands of people who bandy about their god damn shit ass opinions and then get all uptight when someone says anything about it, as if they can't possibly fathom how anyone could criticize them because "it's my opinion"

Are you from Jesus
everyone has a right to an opinion

and I have the right to think that opinion is dumb and stupid

this is true balance
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
it depends on if the opinions are ethical.

people saying they don't like 80's style, or glitch-hop istotally fine to have.

having the opinion that all the commies need to die, is not a good opinion to have, and should be explored in the hope that reason and rationality can shinethrough
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel

having the opinion that all the commies need to die, is not a good opinion to have, and should be explored in the hope that reason and rationality can shinethrough

this opinion is dumb and stupid
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by Baby Joel

Commies do need to die.

Imagine a world of immortal communists.
Quote by Baby Joel at #33540497

What if my opinion is that all commies shouldn't die but latinos should, white people shouldn't but should at least be hospitalized, that fascists shouldn't rule except at arcades, that africa should be given water which would be taken from asia which should be left to dry, and that glitch hop is boring but should be the most popular genre ever?
I only look down on people who refuse to at least give something they don't think they'll like a try
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Baby Joel

The difference is that the former is entirely inconsequential, while the latter affects other people.

The only person who has a say in how you feel about 80's style is yourself. That's why shaming someone for their aesthetic preferences is pointless because they ultimately don't matter to anyone else.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
What if my opinion is that all commies shouldn't die but latinos should, white people shouldn't but should at least be hospitalized, that fascists shouldn't rule except at arcades, that africa should be given water which would be taken from asia which should be left to dry, and that glitch hop is boring but should be the most popular genre ever?

revisionist
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Wait, why are opinions on music inconsequential? Does all consequence have to be tangible? Isn't there as much ideology in art as politics? Questions!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Wait, why are opinions on music inconsequential? Does all consequence have to be tangible? Isn't there as much ideology in art as politics? Questions!

Yes, but the ideology in art is usually much poncier.
Quote by Bladez22
I only look down on people who refuse to at least give something they don't think they'll like a try

If you refuse to give it a try and then say it's garbage then yeah, but if it's something you probably won't like then imo you're not obliged to find out just on the off-chance you might find a new thing to like. There's lots of things I'd assume I wouldn't like if I hadn't had specific reasons to listen to/watch/otherwise experience them, which I now love because I did; I don't think it would be unfair of me to just not let them have any impact on my life if such-and-such person hadn't told me to listen to/watch/otherwise experience them.

Everyone just needs to chill the fuсk out basically and stop shitting on stuff. And nobody should have tastes at all because everyone should just stop pretending like they have reason not to like stuff.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3 at #33540540
If you refuse to give it a try and then say it's garbage then yeah, but if it's something you probably won't like then imo you're not obliged to find out just on the off-chance you might find a new thing to like. There's lots of things I'd assume I wouldn't like if I hadn't had specific reasons to listen to/watch/otherwise experience them, which I now love because I did; I don't think it would be unfair of me to just not let them have any impact on my life if such-and-such person hadn't told me to listen to/watch/otherwise experience them.

Everyone just needs to chill the fuсk out basically and stop shitting on stuff. And nobody should have tastes at all because everyone should just stop pretending like they have reason not to like stuff.

i meant the first one
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I think our opinions on pop culture are fed to us by machines designed to criminalize human autonomy.

Community
The bottom line is that preferential opinions are subjective and without tangible consequences. However, that does not mean they can't or shouldn't be subject to discussion.

UG doesn't seem to do this anymore, but I remember when lots of people used to just say "that's subjective" and try to end it there. That is the dumbest, least interesting thing you can say.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Aug 9, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi
The bottom line is that preferential opinions are subjective and without tangible consequences. However, that does not mean they can't or shouldn't be subject to discussion.

UG doesn't seem to do this anymore, but I remember when lots of people used to just say "that's subjective" and try to end it there. That is the dumbest, least interesting thing you can say.

that's subjective tbh
Quote by Ssargentslayer
that's subjective tbh

yeah, but it is still very boring.

If someone ever brought it up, I'd love to discuss Nazi atrocities cuz then we can see who's actually a Nazi, cuz it'd be a right laugh.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33540479
But GoT has tits, and is therefore objectively the best of the 4.

Tits make everything better

Of course since Emilia Clarke has decided she's too good an actress to show her tits anymore the show has objectively gone down in quality quite a bit
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by Xiaoxi

^pretty sure this is the dumbest, least interesting thing you can say
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Page 1 of 2