Page 1 of 2
disclaimer: this is really going to be a huge rant about ignorant self proclaimed "musicians", I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same experiences with these types of people.

***I am not generalizing about all metalheads, I accept and appreciate that not everyone that listens to a genre of music acts the same way, and that it would be ridiculous to say so***

probably the most confusing circle of people in my mind reside on this website for the most part... a certain small but voiced group I like to call "14 Year Old Metalhead Elitists". now, often these people aren't actually 14, but they honestly act like it.

normally, they fit this description.

these people:

1) have USUALLY been playing guitar for under a year, and that entire time has been spent learning how to play a Killswitch Engage song at full speed on a $2000 rig bought by their father/ unemployment check.

2) wouldn't be caught DEAD listening to anything not played on a triple rec, Peavey 5150, JCM etc. on the insane channel, or anything that the common person would have heard of. anything late 80s early 90s is holy grail. very few modern bands are worth mentioning to them. Dying Fetus comes to mind

3) believe heavily distorted chugga chugga metal to be the ultimate music, the ultimate art form, and the ultimate display of skill. (I mean, distorting the guitar's signal is a neat little trick, but why make a beautiful instrument into a raging fuzz machine all the time?)

4) believe that they are something special, they have some special insight because they're naturally talented, suicidal (who isn't?), emotionally devastated, whatever. arpeggiate your pain away etc.

(1-4 tl;dr: EMGs, MoP, Schecter, wrist cutting wannabes)

5) literally bash anything they can get their hands on, despite usually working extremely low paying jobs and doing very little with their lives except making others miserable-

a little background:

like I said, I just graduated high school. I played trumpet and baritone in marching and concert band for 4 years, and I was an award winning jazz guitarist in my school's big band, which won an all east coast jazz competition. I took 2 college level music theory classes, earning a 5 on my AP music theory exam. that said, I don't like reading guitar music. I'll make an entire song without knowing the structure or a single note.

I've had a few people message me on some forums, on Facebook, instagram, through text, whatever, and tell me (a lot more unpleasantly than this) "hey. your music sucks, the music you listen to sucks, and you suck."

I look at their profile/username, and sure enough, it's some kind of heavy metal reference every time.

of course, I accept that my music isn't anything special, but I do put a lot of time and money into it as many people do, and it is beyond me why people would say these things.

alright.

socially, I was a lowly band nerd freshman year. senior year, I was going to parties on four million dollar properties drinking microbrews and smoking platinum with some of the dumbest people I have ever met. I say this because I have literally talked to EVERY SOCIAL GROUP UNDER THE SUN, and I have yet to find people as conceited, unfriendly, and ridiculously frustrating as these metalheads.

I've been exposed to classical music snobs, jazz snobs, classic rock snobs, you name it, but I have never seen the utter lack of respect in people as I have in these people.

so my question to these people: what's your deal?

my question to everyone else: is this normal?

also, my apologies for the rant, I didn't mean for it to go so in depth and get so personal.

not trying to make anyone feel bad here, I just don't understand why the musical community does this to itself.

inb4 "you got bullied and you're mad who cares"
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

play good shit on shitty gear, not shitty shit on good gear

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
It's normal for the kind of asshats who say it.

And since this is the internet, a lot of asshats can (virtually) say it to you.

**** 'em.
their deal is they dumb

yes it is a normal thing to be dumb
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
This forum used to be full of them.

The thing about metal is that it's an acquired taste and you have to actively seek it out. That's why 14 year olds who discover metal feel somehow superior. I guess jazz snobs are similar but not as angsty.
it's mostly the angst that bugs me- but sometimes I see it in people that are my dad's age... which strikes me as kind of crazy. I am totally into bands like CHON, but I was turned off of metal when I was like 16 just because of the associated crowd
acid eater, gear is at my instagram ( itakenickpics). mesas, strats, vintage jap guits.

check out jazz, acid, and post rock stuff soundcloud.com/s-w-y-c-h & swych.bandcamp.com
trumpet is a horrible, difficult and improving instrument. my advice is to never touch one.

Quote by korinaflyingv
such boring thread

damn sorry

Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
it's mostly the angst that bugs me- but sometimes I see it in people that are my dad's age... which strikes me as kind of crazy. I am totally into bands like CHON, but I was turned off of metal when I was like 16 just because of the associated crowd

So basically peer pressure.
Quote by AGaySpaceTiger at #33540681

the more you experience the real world the more you will realize adults are dumb cunts just as often as teenagers can be, except they vote so it's even scarier
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by korinaflyingv
apology accepted

acception of my apology accepted

Quote by Guitar0player
Great username though.

thanks, it was the name of my first, horrible name. then someone saw there was a space tiger on a certain capitol cities album and it made it much funnier

Last edited by AGaySpaceTiger at Aug 9, 2015,
and I was an award winning jazz guitarist in my school's big band, which won an all east coast jazz competition

Let's be honest though jazz guitar is awful. Worst things ever list:

1. The Holocaust
2. Bigots
3. Rape
4. Zappa
5. Neil Postman
6. Jazz guitar
7. Adam Sandler movies
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock'n'roll
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by theogonia777
Let's be honest though jazz guitar is awful. Worst things ever list:

1. The Holocaust
2. Bigots
3. Rape
4. Zappa
5. Neil Postman
6. Jazz guitar
7. Adam Sandler movies

yeah. if it's not horrible, low res Django recordings, it's horribly complex crazy shit I'll never be able to play

I based my playing on Kenny Burrell, he's pretty accessible and he's released some pretty good albums... over 100 total...

Quote by ElMaco
They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
It ain't what they call rock'n'roll

what about streetlight manifesto? no love?

Music elitists in general are incredibly cringe worthy. The ones you're describing are typically teenagers, which is why they're worse.
TS is projecting super hard.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
thanks, it was the name of my first, horrible babe. then someone saw there was a space tiger on a certain capitol cities album and it made it much funnier

I dont think I understood the joke here....
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
I dont think I understood the joke here....

it's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand

I met a guy that hated everyone and only wanted to do coke and listen to rock and roll. He was like 30 and extremely arrogant.

Turns out he works a shitty job and plays judas priest on his gibson all day
Quote by Ssargentslayer
I met a guy that hated everyone and only wanted to do coke and listen to rock and roll. He was like 30 and extremely arrogant.

Turns out he works a shitty job and plays judas priest on his gibson all day

Replace Judas Priest and Gibson with Motely Crue and car stereo, and you've got the loser-y suicide-y guy from Hot Tub Time Machine.
Quote by AGaySpaceTiger
what about streetlight manifesto? no love?

streetlight is the only ska band i can still listen to because Tom knows how to write interesting songs that aren't annoying turds like Reel Big Fish and Big D and other similarly crappy bands.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
only an elitist can call someone else an elitist
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
"$2000 rig bought by their [...] unemployment check"

WHERE are you from, comrade, and how is immigration there
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

please listen to Dingo and TRON MAXIMUM !!
Quote by LauraMarx
"$2000 rig bought by their [...] unemployment check"

WHERE are you from, comrade, and how is immigration there

You're really not clued in, are you?

Work as a painter/decorator or a plasterer. Take cash in hand. Pay no tax, because you're claiming to have no job so you can get the unemployment cheque, and spend that on cool stuff.
Quote by Baby Joel
only an elitist can call someone else an elitist

I like to think I'm a pretty laid back guy, not an elitist by any means... I'll play anything, I have a mesa Nomad that handles high gain as well as it does cleans, so while I have my preference in music, I can and do play everything.

Quote by slapsymcdougal

Work as a painter/decorator or a plasterer. Take cash in hand. Pay no tax, because you're claiming to have no job so you can get the unemployment cheque, and spend that on cool stuff.

this

Quote by slapsymcdougal

I'm not really sure what joke you're making here? Or are you really giving me life advice which is be a plasterer?
Death comes as the harsh victory of the law of our ancestors over the dimension of our becoming ~monsieur dupont, Nihilist Communism

[sees someone doing any other kind of job] gee you're really not clued in huh. Why don't you become a plasterer. Idiot.

Quote by LauraMarx
I'm not really sure what joke you're making here? Or are you really giving me life advice which is be a plasterer?

There isn't a joke. It's really simple to understand.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Page 1 of 2