Page 1 of 2
Hey there, i am from Austria and i have 2.300€ to burn on a new guitar. My current and only e-guitar is a cheap Ibanez i bought 7 years ago when i started playing. I thought it's time for a new one. I'm mostly playing Hard Rock / Metal stuff but i really want a guitar that can also handle other genres like Blues, Jazz and so on.
I found this one: http://www.klangfarbe.com/artikel.php?a=mayones-duvell-elite-trans-graphite-g45438
It has SD Nazgul and Sentient PUs. Are they alright for cleaner stuff to play? Or straight up only Metal?
Do you have other Guitar Brand suggestions? I thought i would get a better bang/buck if i stick to European Builders.
Thanks in advance
Last edited by rafi.bit at Aug 9, 2015,
Mayones is a great brand. I'm in the USA, and I don't see those at any price very often, so I can't say if the deal is good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Mayones are meant to be very good, but I've never seen one, much less tried one. You may get better value from EU brands, but it's not 100% guaranteed- like any product, availability and desirability influence the overall price, some things are better value than others. That being said- yeah, normally you pay a premium for USA-made stuff in Europe.

I haven't tried either the nazgul or sentient, but the sentient appears to be not terribly hot.

Could you list some examples of bands for the types of music you listed?

Also, what amp do you have? 2300 Euros is a lot to blow on a guitar if you still have a starter pack amp.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ um, not sure if I'm reading your post right, but either way, Mayones is made in Europe (Poland to be precise).

The Nazgul is a very aggressive (and quite trebly) pickup apparently, but interestingly enough it can be coil-split (and often comes with that option), the Sentient seems to be a fairly versatile neck pickup (Seymour Duncan have a nice demo of it). Overall it should be an excellent combo for heavier stuff, but should do ok for softer sounds as well, especially if it has the coil-split option which is quite common with this combo, although I can't see it anywhere in the description (I think I understand most of it despite my unimpressive German though ).

Either way, never got to play a Mayones, but they're an absolute dream for me and I've heard nothing but absolute praise for them, so if you find you like these pickups and you like the looks, I see no possible way this could be a bad choice.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
Last edited by TheLiberation at Aug 9, 2015,
Hey and thanks for the answers!
Some of my favorite Artists from the heavier side are Mark Holocomb, Tremonti, Synyster Gates, Kirk Hammet, Jim Root,...
I also love Classic Rock, David Gilmour, Slash, Clapton and so on.
I only have a micro terror with a 1x12 Blackstar Cab
I thought the first thing i want to buy is a guitar. To me it's more important than the amp.. And to be honest my small Orange thing isn't too bad. Hell that thing is loud haha
If you've got that much cash and you don't mind waiting you could look at a Skervesen custom? It wouldn't stretch to their more costly options but the Skerv I've seen in the flesh was fantastic and I've only heard good things about them besides.

That said, you really should consider buying a new amp because for that money you could get a great guitar and a great amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Really the amp is more relevant to the sound than the guitar, but that is a fantastic guitar. Your amp setup sounds quite decent anyway.

If you have the money to burn, go for it, and maybe get me one too?

I'd consider a used one though, the money you'd save could go with the Orange to get a nice amp head.
I enjoy playing a great guitar through a ok amp more then a avrage guitar through a great amp. Yes amp is more important to your sound but sometimes a new guitar is the better choice.

As far as the guitar goes I have only heard good things about mayones and have always wanted to try one.
Go for the Mayones. They're really damn nice guitars.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by TheLiberation
^ um, not sure if I'm reading your post right, but either way, Mayones is made in Europe (Poland to be precise).

Yeah sorry I probably made that a bit ambiguous. Yeah I know they're made in Poland.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

That said, you really should consider buying a new amp because for that money you could get a great guitar and a great amp.

+1

Pick up a Jet city 50 watt head and harley benton g212vintage and you'd still have enough for a killer guitar (probably still a mayones).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by oneblackened
Go for the Mayones. They're really damn nice guitars.

+100

a tiny terror will do you fine for now. if you have the extra funds to get something fancier, by all means, go for it, but mayones are absolutely killer quality.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by rafi.bit
Hey there, i am from Austria and i have 2.300€ to burn on a new guitar. My current and only e-guitar is a cheap Ibanez i bought 7 years ago when i started playing. I thought it's time for a new one. I'm mostly playing Hard Rock / Metal stuff but i really want a guitar that can also handle other genres like Blues, Jazz and so on.
I found this one: http://www.klangfarbe.com/artikel.php?a=mayones-duvell-elite-trans-graphite-g45438
It has SD Nazgul and Sentient PUs. Are they alright for cleaner stuff to play? Or straight up only Metal?
Do you have other Guitar Brand suggestions? I thought i would get a better bang/buck if i stick to European Builders.
Thanks in advance

I would recommend a Suhr - something along the lines of the old Govan model. If you plan on playing blues or jazz you can't have full blown heavy metal pickups- it will sound terrible. You need a middle of the road humbucker - i.e. not too aggressive and more organic sounding.
Your cab is probably fine, but a Micro Terror is just not going to be enough amp to get you where you want to be. It's not a bad amp, but no matter what guitar you get, sooner than later you will be left wanting and that's down to the amp. You may think the guitar is more important to you, but trust me, in a year or 2 you'll be jonesing for an amp with more oomph. You're not going to be playing convincing metal or jazz through a Micro Terror, lmao.

Your budget is 2300€? Take 1000 of that and buy a better head, or sell the micro terror and cab and combine the 400 or so you could get from that and put it into your rig budget to get a legit combo amp at around 1000 which still leaves you with a ton of money for a really really great guitar.

And a Nazgul/Sentient pickup combination won't give you nearly the versatility you're looking for.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Dave_Mc
Yeah sorry I probably made that a bit ambiguous. Yeah I know they're made in Poland.

I just wasn't sure mainly because of this sentence: "That being said- yeah, normally you pay a premium for USA-made stuff in Europe.", was wondering if that's just a general statement or did you mean "the Mayones is more expensive because it's US-made".
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
^ nah i was agreeing with his assertion in the OP that the EU-made stuff (like Mayones) might be a little cheaper being made here. But yeah I sort of changed tack halfway through which was confusing, reading it back.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
That is a killer looking guitar. Just a suggestion, but if your willing to spend less, w/o sacraficing too much quality wise, you can get a Schecter KM-6 with the exact same specs as that mayones and have alot of extra money for other toys. If your not trying to save money, by all means get the mayones.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
Okay after some rethinking i decided to go for it! I will pick the guitar up in maybe 1 or 2 days And you're also right with my head I will try to save money for the next months. Do you have any amp suggestions for me? For around 500€? Thanks guys for your input I will post some pictures of the guitar as soon as i can!
yeah if you can save up the money for a decent amp fairly quickly after you get the guitar, get the guitar you want. No point in making do when you don't have to.

that jet city i mentioned is hard to beat for the money new. it's only a little ove 500 euros.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Jet City is a great, albeit completely unremarkable, option. You could also look into a Blackstar HT 20 or HT 40 head since you already have the cab and it'll be voiced better for what you're looking to play than a G12 or greenback or something like that.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

^ what do you mean by "unremarkable"?

I mean I could understand it if you were suggesting a diezel or something like that instead, but a blackstar HT?

EDIT: Doesn't the blackstar cab have a celestion 70/80 in there? Not sure it's voiced to be anything other than cheap
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A nice music man with a set of air nortons would be pretty favorable in that situation to me?
i don't know exactly what your needs are, but if you're not playing gigs without PA support and would like a good amp to record and practice with, you might wanna look into the yamaha thr10x

for $300 it'd probably be my choice for a budget practice amp, honestly. tons of bands use it as their backstage warm-up amp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grogLHqCGhU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr7NQHrLQxY

but what you're working with would be fine until your needs exceed your amp imho
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Last edited by Hail at Aug 11, 2015,
i would say go for a custom pickups instead of SD if you are paying that much for the guitar i know some guy that has a custom made Mayones with his name on the fret board and he installed 80$ john petrucci pickups i want to kill him
please ignore my username
i'd honestly say it's got better modeling than an eleven rack, which is $600 and doesn't have speakers built in
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I would personally just find myself a Fender Strat, Mex or American made.
maybe change pickups if its a mex build one.

Get a sweet amp instead.

Tone changes so much once you put it on an amp anyway with pedals..
Fender Lefty Stratocaster
Ernie Ball Super Slinky Purple Strings
Vox AC15
Misc. Pedals
Thanks for your input, I've tried the Jet City 50 before and the Clean Sound was not the best imo.
My local store has the Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18 in Stock. It's a bit over 500€ do you guys think 18W is enugh for smaller shows? or should i consider the one with 36? I really like the powersoak so i could play with 5 or 1W at home.
Quote by nirvana_n_roses
i would say go for a custom pickups instead of SD if you are paying that much for the guitar i know some guy that has a custom made Mayones with his name on the fret board and he installed 80$ john petrucci pickups i want to kill him

My brain exploded.

Yep, I bet that if John Petrucci plays guitars which are as expensive and comparable in quality to higher-tier Mayones models, his pickups are gonna be crap. And there isn't a ton of guitarists with high-end gear playing regular SD/DiMarzio/EMG/Bareknuckle (although these are more expensive) pickups, is there...
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by rafi.bit
Thanks for your input, I've tried the Jet City 50 before and the Clean Sound was not the best imo.
My local store has the Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18 in Stock. It's a bit over 500€ do you guys think 18W is enugh for smaller shows? or should i consider the one with 36? I really like the powersoak so i could play with 5 or 1W at home.

The volume will be fine for small venues or you can just mic it, but that's not the important thing. I love the H&K 18, it sounds phenomenal and has really nice dynamic response, but it doesn't have the "best" clean channel. I put best in quotes because it's relative, but at only 18 watts it doesn't have a whole lot of head room and it's going to start breaking up much, much sooner than a higher wattage amp. So at home you might LOVE the clean sound with the volume at 9 or 10 oclock, but once it's up past 1 or 2 oclock in a gig venue it's gonna sound a lot different and less clean. It's loud enough yes, but it's not going to be clean enough at volume

I'd totally recommend the 36 over the 18 for that reason alone if you really want the head room
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ what do you mean by "unremarkable"?

I mean I could understand it if you were suggesting a diezel or something like that instead, but a blackstar HT?

EDIT: Doesn't the blackstar cab have a celestion 70/80 in there? Not sure it's voiced to be anything other than cheap

the 70/80 is a pretty neutral sounding speaker versus something like a V30 or G12.

And by unremarkable i mean it has a nice gain channel, but everything other than that is pretty...average and unremarkable, lol. It doesn't have the nicest cleans (though not bad by any stretch, just average), doesn't take pedals amazingly well (again just average) and doesn't have the greatest dynamic response--once more, not bad, just average.

It's a good enough amplifier, especially for the money, but it's just so...plain and average. It's the Toyota Camry of high gain, under $1000 amplifiers lol.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by rafi.bit

yeah the jet city doesn't really have a clean channel, more of a crunch channel (it's the same signal path as the od channel just with one less gain stage).

I actually quite like the cleans now but at the start I wasn't fussed.

the tubemeister isn't all-tube, if that matters. well, the 18 isn't, anyway. I'm not sure about the 36- I think it has an extra tube, but whether it's all-tube or just a bit more tube than the 18, I dunno.

Also 5 watts are still way too loud for most people's definition of "home use". Even 1 watt probably is.

Quote by Acϵ♠
the 70/80 is a pretty neutral sounding speaker versus something like a V30 or G12.

And by unremarkable i mean it has a nice gain channel, but everything other than that is pretty...average and unremarkable, lol. It doesn't have the nicest cleans (though not bad by any stretch, just average), doesn't take pedals amazingly well (again just average) and doesn't have the greatest dynamic response--once more, not bad, just average.

It's a good enough amplifier, especially for the money, but it's just so...plain and average. It's the Toyota Camry of high gain, under $1000 amplifiers lol.

so basically you like the 70/80 because it's neutral-sounding but dislike the jet city for the same reason?

good while since I've tried a 70/80 but it's generally considered to be mediocre (at best).

the od channel is pretty much the point of the jet city. I mean, people don't say a 6505 sucks because the clean channel is only middling.

I don't disagree that if you spend (a lot, in Europe) more you can get better, but it can hang with the big boys IMO, especially if you run it through decent speakers. I'm sort of trying to convince him to get a new amp as well- I figured that was easier at the price Jet Cities go for in Europe rather than trying to talk him into the full fat Soldano or something at a similar price.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Also 5 watts are still way too loud for most people's definition of "home use". Even 1 watt probably is.

this is something to keep in mind. tube watts tend to be a lot louder to standard solid state watts

that being said, i had a carvin v3m (adjustable 50w, 22w, 7w) that i ran through a 4x12 and was still able to keep at a reasonable volume. not apartment living levels, but nothing that ever disturbed anybody too bad, either
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
^ yeah. but in my experience the bigger amps often actually sound better turned way down than the low wattage amps do. kind of counter-intuitive, but there you go. there's nothing wrong with lower power options... you might as well have them, everything else being equal. But I wouldn't buy an amp solely because it has lower wattage settings, either- unless it has VVR or power-scaling which go down to a fraction of a watt, those lower power setting are normally still too loud for home use, and often don't sound as good as the full wattage setting anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
better than a solid state practice amp at the same price point

my experiences weren't at all bad and i was working with a fully tube amp with a much higher rating

and for small gigs, 18W is plenty. you can always mic up if worst comes to worst
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
I dont dislike Jet City amps lol. In fact i like them, i just dont think the cleans have enough depth or substance. It's just a plain old clean sound with no outstanding character. The 70/80 is a different scenario altogether, it's neutral in that it doesn't really change or colour the tone of the amp it resides in.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Seventy80's are probably the worst speaker Celestion has ever made. If you don't believe me, a/b them. I did.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ That's not fair, i thought the rocket had that reputation? I haven't tried it, though.

Quote by Hail
better than a solid state practice amp at the same price point

my experiences weren't at all bad and i was working with a fully tube amp with a much higher rating

and for small gigs, 18W is plenty. you can always mic up if worst comes to worst

Oh absolutely, I agree with you, I run high wattage tube amps at home all the time. I just turn them down.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ That's not fair, i thought the rocket had that reputation? I haven't tried it, though.

Oh absolutely, I agree with you, I run high wattage tube amps at home all the time. I just turn them down.

I forgot about the rockets, but I havent ever owned one. Probably for good reasons.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
yeah
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2