Hi, i've been playing acoustic guitar for about 3 and a half years now, i'm the vocalist in my band and am now wanting to move to playing rhythm guitar too (currently we have me (vocalist), a bassist, drummer and a guitarist who is doing both lead and rhythm at the moment). I'm working a lot this summer to afford to buy a good electric and an amp. I'm looking to spend around £600-700 on a guitar, which leaves me with roughly £200-300 for an amp. Do you think this is enough to buy a decent amp? Just to clarify, i'm 17, so ideally i'd like to not have to spend more than roughly £400 on a guitar amp, but I really don't know anything about prices of amps, so if that's how much they are, then I can't do anything about it. Also, if you could recommend any that'd be amazing, thanks.
Well you should be able to get something alright for that money, but you'd be doing better by yourself to split the money 50/50 between guitar and amp; the amp has the biggest effect on your sound. £400-500 for each should easily get you a good guitar and a good amp. What style are you going for? Some amps do metal really well, some have great cleans, so for good recommendations we need to know a style.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 9, 2015,
Do some research. Google key words to do with the sound you are after. Then once you have some ideas about the models of guitar and amp you are interested in check out the second hand market. There are always down-at-heals guitar players willing to sell gear for less than it is worth. Never buy new unless you are absolutely forced to.
Lots of great amps but none do everything well. List your major guitar influences or post a youtube track of the sound you are looking for and folks will help you narrow the field a bit.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Well to be honest, I initially started playing acoustic guitar to accompany my singing before I joined a band, so I don't really have any 'major' guitar influences. It'll be my first time switching to rhythm guitar on electric, (obviously I know it's not as easy as that- i'll learn how to play electric, but i'd like to buy a good guitar and amp now, rather than wasting money on cheap-ish ones, and then going back to buy then good ones, as I did with my acoustics). We're a pop punk/alt rock band if that's what you meant. We listen to bands such as Blink 182, Paramore, You Me At Six, Fall Out Boy, Bring Me The Horizon, Pierce The Veil, Green Day, All Time Low, Tonight Alive, Don Broco etc. (if that helps).
Ah sorry, first time posting a question so not really sure how it all works haha. Thanks for all the answers by the way, £800 is really kind of a stretch. What would you recommend if I could spend £400-£500 on an amp then? possibly stretching to £600.
Last edited by lifegoeson_ at Aug 10, 2015,
woah man ... for a 17 year old you do have a lot of moolah. A £1000 for a guitar and amp is more than enuf. You should be able to get a good mid range guitar for £700 or so and with the rest you can get a good blackstar, line 6 or laney in there.
My Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP KH-202 with OFR
Hobner Acoustic
BOSS OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion pedal
Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby Wah Pedal
Laney P20 20-Watt 1x8 Amplifier
Quote by lifegoeson_
Ah sorry, first time posting a question so not really sure how it all works haha. Thanks for all the answers by the way, £800 is really kind of a stretch. What would you recommend if I could spend £400-£500 on an amp then? possibly stretching to £600.

Yeah, that should be okay, especially if you go used. £300-400 for a guitar is plenty to get something decent (though obviously if you can spend more, all the better) and with your budget you're best off spending more on the amp than the guitar, on account of the fact it'll have a much bigger impact on your sound. Above about £400 second-hand is where the amps should go from "acceptable" to "good".

As mentioned, you'll get more and probably better advice if you post in the Electric Guitar forum. The regulars there are the ones who really know what's available and how good it is. If you don't have access to that forum yet you might just need to wait a few hours; I think there's something like a 24-hour waiting period for new members to have access to the rest of the forum to help avoid spambots cluttering up the rest of the site.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by AiC
woah man ... for a 17 year old you do have a lot of moolah. A £1000 for a guitar and amp is more than enuf. You should be able to get a good mid range guitar for £700 or so and with the rest you can get a good blackstar, line 6 or laney in there.

Hahah, took on as many shifts as I could at my summer job, doing 21 x 8 hr shifts, trust me- this is the most i've ever hadxD thanks for the recommendations!
Quote by K33nbl4d3
Yeah, that should be okay, especially if you go used. £300-400 for a guitar is plenty to get something decent (though obviously if you can spend more, all the better) and with your budget you're best off spending more on the amp than the guitar, on account of the fact it'll have a much bigger impact on your sound. Above about £400 second-hand is where the amps should go from "acceptable" to "good".

As mentioned, you'll get more and probably better advice if you post in the Electric Guitar forum. The regulars there are the ones who really know what's available and how good it is. If you don't have access to that forum yet you might just need to wait a few hours; I think there's something like a 24-hour waiting period for new members to have access to the rest of the forum to help avoid spambots cluttering up the rest of the site.

Aw great, thanks for the help!! and also thanks for link- i'll have a go posting there
I have a Hohner International MEGA-10 and I think it was about £80. It isn't the greatest, but it's capable of delivering high quality sound and a decently high volume. It has volume, overdrive, bass, treble, chorus and master settings, it has a 2 metre cord at the back, a slot for one guitar and one set of headphones. You probably can't get a new one anymore, but if you look on eBay I'm sure you could find a used one for under £100.
Quote by FriendorFoeLolz
I have a Hohner International MEGA-10 and I think it was about £80. It isn't the greatest, but it's capable of delivering high quality sound and a decently high volume. It has volume, overdrive, bass, treble, chorus and master settings, it has a 2 metre cord at the back, a slot for one guitar and one set of headphones. You probably can't get a new one anymore, but if you look on eBay I'm sure you could find a used one for under £100.

Thanks for the recommendation, i'll have a look
Quote by ChucklesMginty
First of all! Guitar amp questions should go in GG&A and electric guitar stuff in the Electric Guitar forum.

Anyway, the first thing I'd say is that you have your budgets the wrong way round. ALWAYS spend more on the amp than the guitar! The amp has way more effect on your sound. You can get a good gigging guitar for £300 easily. Especially if you looked used.

But with amps £200 - £300 will get you something passable. £700 - £800 will you get you something really killer, especially if you're immediately gigging.

This. It is far easier to upgrade a guitar than it is to upgrade an amp.

In looking for a guitar I would prioritize the way it plays over the way it sounds. That is even if it doesn't sound exactly the way you want but you feel you could play it all night then buy it. Save up a bit then change out the pickups to something that matches what you hear in your head. Ideally you want both at the start, but you might be on a search that is longer than it needs to be.
I would say checkout any of the Fender Mustang line either 3-5 they are incredibly affordable extremely light for the size and omg are they loud!!! Plus woth the multitude of things your wanting to play you can create and store 100 onboard patches of your choice and you can use the included footswitch as a pedal board. Dont let anyone tell you because its a modeller its no good because it is simply not true. The cleans on the amps are splendid especially the classic fender models and even the vox models. And the higher gain channels can be really incredible with some adjusting. Bottom line on your budget this is probably the best rig goin and by far the most reliable and customizable. You need carry no pedals or anything other than the amp your guitar a footswitch and a lead. Just my 2 cents
As much as I hate to keep butting in to contradict people, I really don't recommend going budget on the amp, be it a Fender or a Hohner. I'm sure both are great for the price but you get what you pay for, sometimes less. £300 for a guitar can easily get you something that sounds good and plays nicely and suits what you want - you can get even better if you go used; the same money on an amp will get you a practice amp - either a jack of all trades (good though it may be) or a nice but small tube amp with next to no controls. Or if you hate yourself and potential audiences, a Marshall MG. There is good stuff in the price range, but real sound quality costs, and amps are where you can hear the difference.

Basically, a £1000 rig consisting of a £300 guitar and a £700 amp* will sound like a £1000 rig; if you spend the money the other way round with £700 on the guitar and £300 on the amp it won't sound much different from a rig costing half that amount.

*Again I stress that going used will massively improve your choice - I'm after a Twin Reverb at the moment and even at London brick-and-mortar prices used ones go for about £400-500 less than the £1400 it costs new; a bit of patience on Gumtree could quite easily get my a Reissue model at just over half the new price.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Aug 11, 2015,
^good advice^ i only suggested the mustang because its versatile, extremely light, reliable (no tubes), and extremely loud, and sounds good even at low volume for home practice. I mean the guy is new and i was just giving an accessible proposal.
Id love to see the kid at his first gig with a big fender twin and have big outburst ( we all know what I mean) Lol
Quote by Dick Savage
I would say checkout any of the Fender Mustang line either 3-5 they are incredibly affordable extremely light for the size and omg are they loud!!! Plus woth the multitude of things your wanting to play you can create and store 100 onboard patches of your choice and you can use the included footswitch as a pedal board. Dont let anyone tell you because its a modeller its no good because it is simply not true. The cleans on the amps are splendid especially the classic fender models and even the vox models. And the higher gain channels can be really incredible with some adjusting. Bottom line on your budget this is probably the best rig goin and by far the most reliable and customizable. You need carry no pedals or anything other than the amp your guitar a footswitch and a lead. Just my 2 cents

I'll definetely check them out, they sound great hahah! Thanks for the help. Her*
Last edited by lifegoeson_ at Aug 13, 2015,
Try before you buy, definitely, because from what I've heard recently Gibsons have put out good and bad examples of all of their models, seemingly at random, but if you're set on a specific guitar then by all means go for it; you'll be happier playing it, which is ultimately what it's all about.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Quote by StewieSwan

Quote by Bladez22
Quote by K33nbl4d3
As much as I hate to keep butting in to contradict people, I really don't recommend going budget on the amp, be it a Fender or a Hohner. I'm sure both are great for the price but you get what you pay for, sometimes less. £300 for a guitar can easily get you something that sounds good and plays nicely and suits what you want - you can get even better if you go used; the same money on an amp will get you a practice amp - either a jack of all trades (good though it may be) or a nice but small tube amp with next to no controls. Or if you hate yourself and potential audiences, a Marshall MG. There is good stuff in the price range, but real sound quality costs, and amps are where you can hear the difference.

Basically, a £1000 rig consisting of a £300 guitar and a £700 amp* will sound like a £1000 rig; if you spend the money the other way round with £700 on the guitar and £300 on the amp it won't sound much different from a rig costing half that amount.

*Again I stress that going used will massively improve your choice - I'm after a Twin Reverb at the moment and even at London brick-and-mortar prices used ones go for about £400-500 less than the £1400 it costs new; a bit of patience on Gumtree could quite easily get my a Reissue model at just over half the new price.

Hahah yeah, at the minute my plan is to buy the £669 guitar first (kinda have my heart set on a Gibson LPM Vintage Sunburst- though i'm still looking at others) with the money I have, and then save whatever I have left + the money I should get from my job at christmas, to buy a good amp after christmas. So then I should have around £400-500 if not more, for the amp. And until then, a friend said he would lend me a 10w amp to practice at home with while i'm learning electric, we also practice at a music studio which provides amps, so i'm not in desperate need of one yet. Thanks again- you've been a lot of help
Last edited by lifegoeson_ at Aug 13, 2015,