Hey guys!

I've been looking into both the PRS SE Custom 24 (Sapphire) and the Chapman ML-2 (Black Cherry). My budget is in the $600 range and I'm looking for something that can handle heavy rock kind of stuff. I've heard a demo of both guitars, and I love the sound of both. I FEEL like the ML-2 would be much better from a quality control standpoint, as Chapman Guitars does not mass produce their guitars as much as PRS. I also really like the Les Paul look to the Chapman. What are your thoughts?
Quote by epicowl
I FEEL like the ML-2 would be much better from a quality control standpoint, as Chapman Guitars does not mass produce their guitars as much as PRS.

Well, Chapman got you to drink the kool-aid, so well done there. They've successfully spun "we don't sell that many guitars" into "we don't mass-produce as much." Written another way, PRS knows what they're doing on a large scale and Chapman are small by nature of not being popular. You can spin it whatever way you want, but both guitars are mass-produced in factories in Korea. You're not getting "handmade by local craftsmen" for these prices, no matter what the marketing team tells you. Every guitar company will tell you that their Korean factory is special and their employees are all wise old luthiers with 80 years of experience, when in reality these factories are very, very similar, and in some cases several brands are pumped out of the same factories by the same people. In a lot of cases that actually means a better product - you can share labor, floor space, equipment, and you can keep employees around longer instead of laying people off when one company cancels an order.

If I were looking for a LP type guitar in this price range I'd get a PRS SE 245 and upgrade the pickups, or an LTD EC-1000. Both are fabulous value Korean guitars with excellent quality control. I would not consider a Chapman, not least because I got a front-and-center seat for his nonstop self-promotion tour for a few years. He's the product more than the guitars, IMO. Not to knock the quality of the instruments, but I dislike the guy's marketing tactics enough not to buy his guitars. Just one opinion.
I would go for the PRS, having tried out a few I can tell you they hardly ever dissapoint; Roc up here has already said most of what I think about the "no mass production" thing, and also I have never played a Chapman guitar, they do look nice on the internet but that's all I got, really, that's why I'd recommend the PRS.
ceci n'est pas un guitariste.
Chapmans are made in the same Korean factories as many other, bigger names. Chapters even used Youtube to post a vid of his tour of the plant where his (and others) were made.

I know PRS better than his guitars- since I'm in the USA- so I can't help but choose theirs over his. But remember, that is just based on my personal familiarity.

Beyond that? Well, there are a world of decent guitars in that price range. Can you offer more insight as to what you're looking for?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
PRS SEs and Chapmans are both made in the World Music factory, literally side by side with each other.

PRS has the included benefit of being QC'd in the US by PRS.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Not all PRS SE guitars are MIK now. This year they started making some in Indonesia.
Quote by jpnyc
Not all PRS SE guitars are MIK now. This year they started making some in Indonesia.

Right. Custom line is still MIK.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by jpnyc

That line is specifically named Standard, not SE though.

I can only go by reputation here, but PRS Custom 24 SEs are known to be very reliable in this price range. Depending on what you like you can also take a look at other brands like Schecter, LTD or Ibanez, for example, but if you decide on the PRS it should be great. I have no idea what the Chapmans are like, though.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
There's no point in trying to convince a moron.
I'd get the PRS because while Chapman guitars do look cool, they're affiliated with Rob Chapman. And he's a bit of a knobhead.

Or better still, get an EC-1000.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Aug 10, 2015,
Erm, sorry, I worded that in a derpy way, but either way I meant that the Indonesian ones have a big "STANDARD" in the name. The Korean ones are just SE.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by TheLiberation
Erm, sorry, I worded that in a derpy way, but either way I meant that the Indonesian ones have a big "STANDARD" in the name. The Korean ones are just SE.

Ouch.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Here is a pic of the back of my custom 24 SE. I love mine. When I bought it, I took a lot more money with me looking for a les paul and ended up with this. I liked the neck profile and tones better. The fit and finish was nicer as well.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
You troll you.

THE POINT IS:
- THE INDONESIAN ONES HAVE "STANDARD" IN THE NAME
- THE KOREAN ONES DON'T, IF IT SAYS "SE" BUT NOT "STANDARD" IT'S KOREAN
RIGHT?

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Quote by TheLiberation
You troll you.

THE POINT IS:
RIGHT?

IDK. My 2012 SE Custom is Korean built, though. Facking lovely instrument, too.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Correct. Upload issues, sorry no pic. But to expand a little, I too was torn about Chapman but I just felt better buying the guitar that I could play first instead of risking buying one and being disappointed when it showed up.
96 MIJ Jackson
Charvel DC 1 FR
PRS SE Custom 24
Yamaha FG730S
DIY acoustic
DIY mockingbird
Peavey classic 50 2x12
Quote by eoj02
Correct. Upload issues, sorry no pic. But to expand a little, I too was torn about Chapman but I just felt better buying the guitar that I could play first instead of risking buying one and being disappointed when it showed up.

I feel that needs emphasis.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by TheLiberation
You troll you.

THE POINT IS:
RIGHT?

It wasn't wrong, only imprecise. I am immune to your confusion tactics.

Ok, let's not derail this thread any further, I think we've helped enough in establishing what Korean PRS SE models looks like at this point.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE