Quick question. Would playing a bass on the guitar setting on a Peavey Vypyr cause any damage? I know these are designed to handle both instruments as well as acoustic but I can't seem to find a way to get a good distortion effect while playing bass and using the "bass" function. Thanks!
To get good sounding bass distortion, you need to approach it in a very different way.
Bass generally needs some low end frequencies coming through. Just putting a guitar distortion box will chop off a lot of low end, so it's better not to do that.

What you need to do is either use a very transparent distortion with a dry mix or you could bi-amp with one amp set clean-ish and low endy and the other crunchy.
That's what I do anyway.
My setup sounds like this:
https://soundcloud.com/corrosionmedia/mixtest-jan-15
(skip to the second half to hear just the solo bass.)
i have a TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion and it works great on a nice, low-middy EQ, but i don't know the tendencies of the vypyr personally

also, when you're in a mix, you'll find a sound that might sound thin or honky solo will sound amazing in a live setting, especially when you're competing with super distorted, scooped guitars. unless you're playing doom, stoner, sludge etc. in which case throw all the distortion you want at it
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Oh I forgot to mention I have a completely different system for live settings and almost never distort the tone. This amp would be used exclusively for bedroom-practice without the factor of other instruments. Truthfully I'm just looking for something to mess around with haha. I have damaged guitar amps by plugging a bass amp purely for fun and games so I was wondering if playing bass on the guitar function on a vypyr would cause damage or would it not because it is such a versatile piece of equipment? Sorry if my question is confusing lol
at low volumes it should be fine i ran my bass through a guitar practice amp for several years without messing up the speaker. but proceed with caution, obviously
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.