Page 1 of 5
Do you tip?

How much do you tip?

Do you get annoyed when a "service charge" gets added on instead of a voluntary tip?

Why do waiters and waitresses deserve tips, but cashiers, shelf stackers and other low paid jobs do not get tips?
I tip because I'm not an asshat

Like 10%ish unless service is great or shit.

Service charges are waste though.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Quote by sam b
I tip, not a percentage just whatever I want. Sometimes 10p, sometimes £10

This.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by sam b
I tip, not a percentage just whatever I want. Sometimes 10p, sometimes £10

Pretty much, although it tends to be around the 10% mark
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
10%, regardless of service charge.

If service was crap and there is a service charge already, I just throw some loose change (like coppers) to make my point. If it was bad and there isn't a service charge I'll give 5-10% depending how annoyed I am. Reacting to bad service is more about me never going there again and warning people away from there.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Where I live, servers only make about $2.50 per hour by wage and so most of their paycheck depends on tip (I don't know why the system is set up this way, but it is.) I have a big soft spot for people in food service because I've worked food service for years now (as a server and as a pastry chef) and so has my husband. I tip at least 30% (sometimes 50% if it's amazing, or over that if I am just being a flirt) unless the service was completely terrible, in which case I'll tip 15%. That's for meals, anyway. Food is pretty damn cheap here so it's not difficult.

For drinks, I'll tip $.50 to $2 per drink depending on how complicated the drink is (if it's a bottled beer I'll go low, and higher if it's a cocktail, especially if it's nice.) Drinks are pretty damn cheap here too.
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

the thing I don't get about it being a set % of the price of the meal
is that why do waiters in a good value place deserve less than somewhere overpriced?
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by vintage x metal
Where I live, servers only make about $2.50 per hour by wage and so most of their paycheck depends on tip (I don't know why the system is set up this way, but it is.) I have a big soft spot for people in food service because I've worked food service for years now (as a server and as a pastry chef) and so has my husband. I tip at least 30% (sometimes 50% if it's amazing, or over that if I am just being a flirt) unless the service was completely terrible, in which case I'll tip 15%. That's for meals, anyway. Food is pretty damn cheap here so it's not difficult.

For drinks, I'll tip $.50 to $2 per drink depending on how complicated the drink is (if it's a bottled beer I'll go low, and higher if it's a cocktail, especially if it's nice.) Drinks are pretty damn cheap here too.

That seems like it shouldn't even be legal.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Quote by SMH07

It shouldn't. idk wtf they were thinking
Quote by Arthur Curry
it's official, vintage x metal is the saving grace of this board and/or the antichrist

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/10/waiting-staff-pizza-express-tips?CMP=fb_gu

I have arguments with my gf about this a lot. She used to be a waitress so she gets why tips are important and always tips highly, but these shite employers should just not be dicks
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I tip, always. If I know I cannot afford a meal in addition to the 15%-20% tip, then I simply won't eat out. Don't be a Mr. Pink.
Quote by SMH07

Agreed. The entire system is a despot's wet dream.
Ах, так вы не пьете и не курите?
Хорошо для вас: вы здоровым умрете!
Quote by steve_muse
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/10/waiting-staff-pizza-express-tips?CMP=fb_gu

I have arguments with my gf about this a lot. She used to be a waitress so she gets why tips are important and always tips highly, but these shite employers should just not be dicks

That's why I always tip in cash.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Zaphikh
I tip, always. If I know I cannot afford a meal in addition to the 15%-20% tip, then I simply won't eat out. Don't be a Mr. Pink.

Totally this. I always tip 15-20%.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by SMH07

Yeah, yanks don't know their own laws.

I know for certain that in the state of California if the server's wage does not meet minimum wage when tips are included then the employer is legally obliged to ensure the remaining difference is met else they can face legal action for paying below the minimum wage.

Of course, there's plenty of people in the US who are unaware of their own rights so they struggle by on less than minimum wage and complain about how poor they are/how terrible their life is/how many jobs they work etc.

I tip if it's somewhere I go regularly or if I got exceptional service, I won't tip in Britain if it's a huge chain or the service wasn't good etc. because why should I? If they want to start sticking service charges on the bill then that's fine but decent service should be the standard and I shouldn't have to pay extra for that.

In the US it's different cause it's expected in the culture so I do over there.

If the people feel they aren't getting paid enough for serving then that's their problem and they should petition their employer. I agree they are often under paid but it's not my job to ensure that changes. I would happily pay if every place added the charge (unless the staff were shit in which case I'd ask for the manager and explain) or if they increased the food prices
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Last edited by digman50 at Aug 10, 2015,
Quote by Hydra150
the thing I don't get about it being a set % of the price of the meal
is that why do waiters in a good value place deserve less than somewhere overpriced?

for me it's just ease and there's a certain "respectability" factor or something that says you should give a big amount if you go somewhere fancy. a % of the bill is just fair across restaurants, even though a flat sum makes tons more sense. a flat amount would mean giving like £10 for a quick coffee and cake and £10 on a £200 bill at some gourmet place. % also makes it easier when there's a lot of people.

you could have a "whatever I feel like" way but that would mean spending effort judging the whole meal and experience to see what is acceptable that day, and probably has you wallowing in negativity picking on every little thing. much better imo to just chill and give a standard amount and leave any divergence from that in giving more or less only if you've had a significantly good or bad experience.

I tip more for the restaurant's "experience" rather than to specifically reward the server though, seeing as tipping the server themselves is kinda silly from my perspective, since they've not done much more than take my order, pour a drink, and carry a few plates around, rather be tipping the chef really. It's also a bit weird to tip that specific server when it could have been anybody that serves you and it's only in the high end places that I've ever had the same person attending to me the whole meal. I suspect over here most of the tip/gratuity goes into a pool for everyone since you can just add it on your card when paying now.

that all said, I am tipping in a place where I don't even need to and there isn't this pressure of "the servers need your tip". if it's the US I'd probably tip 20% to fit in a bit.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
for me it's just ease and there's a certain "respectability" factor or something that says you should give a big amount if you go somewhere fancy. a % of the bill is just fair across restaurants, even though a flat sum makes tons more sense. a flat amount would mean giving like £10 for a quick coffee and cake and £10 on a £200 bill at some gourmet place. % also makes it easier when there's a lot of people.

you could have a "whatever I feel like" way but that would mean spending effort judging the whole meal and experience to see what is acceptable that day, and probably has you wallowing in negativity picking on every little thing. much better imo to just chill and give a standard amount and leave any divergence from that in giving more or less only if you've had a significantly good or bad experience.

I tip more for the restaurant's "experience" rather than to specifically reward the server though, seeing as tipping the server themselves is kinda silly from my perspective, since they've not done much more than take my order, pour a drink, and carry a few plates around, rather be tipping the chef really. It's also a bit weird to tip that specific server when it could have been anybody that serves you and it's only in the high end places that I've ever had the same person attending to me the whole meal. I suspect over here most of the tip/gratuity goes into a pool for everyone since you can just add it on your card when paying now.

that all said, I am tipping in a place where I don't even need to and there isn't this pressure of "the servers need your tip". if it's the US I'd probably tip 20% to fit in a bit.

Someone posted the article earlier, a number of chain restaurants will keep close to 10% of anything you add on to a card transaction as a tip.

So yea, I tip in cash.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by steve_muse

them taking 8% sound fine to me. works hand in hand with my feeling of tipping toward the whole establishment and not just the server. I would hope that though all the people in the restaurant get a bit of that 92%, not just the servers.

edit: it's also a "taking up space" thing that 8 or 10% represents. Like sitting in a coffee shop for an hour instead of getting taking it out.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Tipping by definition is voluntary. If the service was worth it I will tip.

And, yes, I worked as a waiter (in the U.S.) I never expected a tip. If I got one, great. If not, no problem. and I still almost pulled $100 a day and that was in the late 1980's. (Not bad for a high-school boy at the time)

Not getting good tips? Step up your game.

I always love listening to waiter/waiteresses whine "I give excellent service and then get stiffed". That's the thing. You don't get to decide if the service was excellent, the customer does.

I don't tip because the places where I typically eat don't accept tips. When I try to leave a tip, they just give me change.

I don't understand the idea of tipping. Shouldn't you be paid based on the work you do, rather than having to rely on the charity of strangers?
Last edited by sashki at Aug 10, 2015,
I realised I went to Pizza Express the other day and forgot to tip and was pretty mortified thinking back on it.

I usually do remember to tip, although don't really eat out enough to actually tip often.

Tipping for drinks isn't advised I've heard, especially at places like Wetherspoon because it all goes into a communal kitty, they're not allowed to take individual tips.

Really though customers tippings shouldn't be to top up the salary of the waiters. They should get a decent wage in the first place and it seems unfair on non-front facing staff.
I tried tipping a delivery driver who came in the rain on his scooter. guy was like "what's this lol? you paid by card already" gave it back and left before I could force him to take it.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by EndTheRapture51

Tipping for drinks isn't advised I've heard, especially at places like Wetherspoon because it all goes into a communal kitty, they're not allowed to take individual tips.

tipping for drinks is weird because at most places I've end up at I'll be waiting ages to get served and when I do it's shit alcohol served with no real concern.

when I go to somewhere a bit higher end or the bar people are pretty engaging, I'll occasionally tip if I've gone through a few drinks there.

quite often though I'm at a bar because a band is playing and so am usually forcing myself to get at least one drink to "support" the bar in playing music.

ie: on sat, saw loma prieta + dangers. bought 3 drinks "for the venue" (rather drink better stuff at home if I'm going to drink and I was on my own there so no social drinking really). plus cause it was a free show (band gets a % of drink sales afaik), I bought a t-shirt too (my way of "tipping" bands)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by jugglingfreak
Tipping by definition is voluntary. If the service was worth it I will tip.

And, yes, I worked as a waiter (in the U.S.) I never expected a tip. If I got one, great. If not, no problem. and I still almost pulled $100 a day and that was in the late 1980's. (Not bad for a high-school boy at the time)

Not getting good tips? Step up your game.

I always love listening to waiter/waiteresses whine "I give excellent service and then get stiffed". That's the thing. You don't get to decide if the service was excellent, the customer does.

lol this guy
Quote by Arthur Curry

e-married to
theguitarist
minterman22
tateandlyle
& alaskan_ninja

Tipping is alright and I try to tip when I can, mostly out of appreciation for the waiter or if I just can't be arsed having change in my wallet. I don't do it because I feel bad for the waiter though, they earn a decent wage and don't need my spare change to live a decent life.

With that being said, the American way of doing it is horrible, it's just a mix of imposed social norms and self-guilt born out of an unfair economical system. Might as well just charge me more instead of forcing me to go through this charade of voluntary gratitude.

Being forced to do something is doable, having to pretend that I want to do it is just degrading.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I'll tip delivery guys like 3 bucks usually and at restaurants pretty much 20 percent always.
I'm a strong supporter of voluntary tips in smaller parties (<5) and an added service charge for larger parties. When a large party doesn't tip, that just fucks up the waiter's pay. If the waiter sucked, then ask for a manager and explain to him/her that you'll no longer be patronizing the establishment if you have to tip for bad service.

For pizza peeps I usually do $5 flat since I never usually order more than $20 worth.
Fast food places get my leftover change from the transaction if they have a jar for it.
Quote by vintage x metal
It shouldn't. idk wtf they were thinking

Capitalism!

When I lived outside of America briefly, I lived in a society where restaurant servers were actually paid decent living wages, and the concept of tipping didn't exist. Same applied to bartenders, taxi drivers, delivery folks, and other professions that typically depend on tips for survival in America.

I'm against tipping as a concept because it allows companies to cheat out employees in the name of their own profits but in practice I tend to tip pretty decently. Minimum 15%, up to 20%-30% if it's really good. Even if service is shit I'll still tip a minimum of 12%-15% because I know everyone has a bad day from time to time.
I tip 10% if the service is acceptable or better (what I believe is the socially accepted amount here in the UK)

However if a restaurant has that '12.5% service charge' automatically added to the bill, I won't tip even a penny out of principal, seeing as they've essentially already given themselves one without even asking permission.

I don't really care if that seems a little tight, I agree that the whole idea behind tipping (in the UK anyway) is bullshit. It's not like the 1950s or whatever where waiters/waitresses are relying on tips to survive, everyone here gets the minimum wage or better - eradicating any need for a tipping culture. If a friendly sales assistant in a shop isn't ever really entitled to getting tips, why should a waiter or waitress just because of an antiquated tradition?
I'm a pizza guy.

I get $7 an hour plus $1.20 per delivery which pays for my gas.

I put around 100 miles on my car every time I work.

If people don't tip me i can't make any money.

My car will eventually break down and i will be screwed, so i have to save up enough money to buy a new car before that happens.

edit: Btw, if your pizza is ever late, it is 99% likely that the delivery guy had nothing to do with it. It's the fault of slow insiders that make pizzas late, not drivers.

Tip your pizza guys people, the job is annoying and it requires you to destroy your personal belongings in order to make a living.
Last edited by rickyj at Aug 10, 2015,
I generally tip 15%, with two exceptions

If the server was a bad ass I will tip like 33%

If the server was ass I will tip like 3%
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by rickyj
I'm a pizza guy.

I get $7 an hour plus $1.20 per delivery which pays for my gas.

I put around 100 miles on my car every time I work.

If people don't tip me i can't make any money.

My car will eventually break down and i will be screwed, so i have to save up enough money to buy a new car before that happens.

edit: Btw, if your pizza is ever late, it is 99% likely that the delivery guy had nothing to do with it. It's the fault of slow insiders that make pizzas late, not drivers.

Tip your pizza guys people, the job is annoying and it requires you to destroy your personal belongings in order to make a living.

over here? no. min wage is £6.50, which is $10, which is much better than your $7.50. that is ignoring higher taxes though (but tax is tiny at min wage) and ignoring different cost of living. most delivery drivers here use cheap scooters to keep expenses down too.

in the US? yea sure since I'd be part of the broken pay system and it's a dumb charge that I'm obliged pay (even though it's technically optional)
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Page 1 of 5