Hi, first time poster here. I have begun tabbing out an album that is about 75% done on 7-string. I was told by the guitarist that he tuned down one and a half steps down and tuned the low B string down to F# I was wondering how I would properly represent each string name now low to high as my tuner tells me that each string is as follows (low to high) F# Db Gb Cb Fb Ab Db. People on this site seem to not recognize what a half step is now so to appease these people I'm just wondering how I should be putting down what these strings are.
P.S. What's up with people getting upset that I tabbed a song on 7-string for a 7-string? ::shrugs:: Thanks for any insight you all can give me.
For consistency, many people write either all flats or all sharps for tunings. I would recommend sharps because I mainly see a step and a half written as C# rather than Db.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Consistency is key. As long as you use the same accidentals across the board it's all good. Personally I prefer all sharps too. That being said, if you're seeing things like Cb, Fb, E#, and B#, it'd be better to translate those into their more commonly seen counterparts, aka B, E, F and C. They're exactly the same, and nobody likes a Cb.
I think that this is kind of an age gap thing. The other day a kid told me he tuned to C# standard like Slash...he meant he tuned down a a half step (Eb). I grew up with people actually saying down a half step and not calling things a note lower then it is and calling it a sharp. I never saw that in Guitar World, Guitar One, Guitar School, etc growing up.
Tuning half a step down is really the one exception since nobody says tune to D#.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Okay. So C# tuning with a seventh string F#.

Guitars are normally tuned in fourths and thirds (a fifth if using standard drop tunings, not going into open tunings). Naming conventions adhere to fourths, so in a six-string (ignoring accidentals now):

E A D G B E OK
C F B E G C OK
G C F A D G not OK. There needs to be a fourth between third and fourth strings, but there's a written third.

Intervals are based on note names, not what's most common to write on paper. However, both of them may overlap.

With C# vs. Db, which looks easier to write?
Start on C#: C# F# B  E  G# C#
Start on Db: Db Gb Cb Fb Ab Db

Eb/D# doesn't matter as much because everything is sharps and flats:
Eb Ab Db Gb Bb Eb
D# G# C# F# A# D#

But I have a flat bias, so I usually write flats in 1/2-step down tuning.

And once you've established sharps or flats, you should stay in the one accidental. Otherwise you introduce intervals you don't want to deal with. So overall:

F# C# F# B E G# C#.
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Aug 10, 2015,