I am ashamed to admit that it's been a while since the strings on my bass guitar haven't been changed in a while (about 6 months), mostly due to the fact that I only play it once a week or after I'm finished recording guitar parts. When I got it setup, I had it tuned for drop C with a low A (A C G C F) but I forgot to ask what string gauges he used. I've been playing bass for less than a year, so I really don't have much of an idea about these things, but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me which gauge was most likely used so I can finally restring it.

On a side note, I also play in drop Bb (Bb F Bb Eb G) for some songs which, with the current gauge, leaves my action considerably higher than when in drop C, and higher than I'd like. I'm wondering if I should just adjust the bridge to accommodate when I change tuning, or this will be more harmful than I think. As always, any and all input would be very helpful!
Your action is changing because the added tension your strings is causing your neck to bow when tuning them tighter. You either have to: tighten your truss rod when tuning up and loosen your truss when tuning down, or not change tunings, or do nothing and deal with it.

Lowering your action when tuning up will likely cause your action to be too low when tuning down and create excessive fret buzz. If I couldn't get a 2nd bass for an alternate tuning, I would leave it alone and just deal with it.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
That's what I thought. Speaking of getting another bass, I would totally do it, but I just bought a guitar a few months ago, and I do my best to monitor my spending when it comes to these things so it doesn't get out of hand haha. Maybe I'll buy myself one for Christmas again... Regarding the strings, what would be ideal in this situation, for either tuning?
In my case, I know what I like my strings to feel like, tensionwise, which gives me a starting point. I like them somewhat stiff. I am partial to D'Addario 160's for standard E. Been using them for 25 years. When I had a 5er, I used those + a single .135 for the B. I use a .125 for drop D, because the .125 D has about the same tension as a .105 E. This way, all of my basses felt the same. I say "felt" because now I have 1 with flats, 2 with nylons, and 4 with nickle rounds. If I was to utilize alternate tunings, I would get strings that have a similar tension as the 160 set.

What do your current strings look like? Tapered? Silks? Ball end colors? Do you like your current strings? Many manufacturers and shops use DA's as their go-to string, unless the customer requests something specific.

Of course, you could make a call and ask whoever setup your bass. Could be an easy way to find out what brand and gauges your bass is wearing.
"Quick to judge. Quick to anger. Slow to understand. Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand-in-hand."
- Rush, "Witch Hunt"
Of course, you could make a call and ask whoever setup your bass. Could be an easy way to find out what brand and gauges your bass is wearing.
www.4rsgold.com