I'm thinking about taking up ukelele for shits and giggles.

What are some good starter ukelele brands? I don't care about fancy, just something that is easy to play and sounds decent. I'd like something with good tuners, heard that was a problem with the bargain brands. I'm considering Oscar-Schmidt, but open to suggestions. Want a standard size (soprano).

Thanks in advance!
Don't know if you can get them in the US but a Lanikai LU-11 was my first uke and it's great. Really though you can buy any of them and just put aquila nylgut strings on and it'll sound okay. Intonation will almost certainly be shit but it'll sound not terrible.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Pastafarian96
Don't know if you can get them in the US but a Lanikai LU-11 was my first uke and it's great. Really though you can buy any of them and just put aquila nylgut strings on and it'll sound okay. Intonation will almost certainly be shit but it'll sound not terrible.

why wouldn't you be able to get one in the US?

i found a bunch on Amazon in less than 30 seconds.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
You can get any instruments you want in the US unless you are StewieSwan.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Pastafarian96
hey now, cheap doesn't mean it's shit, I've had mine nearly 18 months now and it sounds a whole lot better than the $800 uke I won in a draw and then sold for a new amp.

I found the Lanikai LU-21, am assuming it's a step up from the LU-11 you are happy with. Comes with a hard case and tuner. $119.99 on Amazon...thinking about ordering it.
Quote by Pastafarian96
concert size though and it sounds much shittier imo

Just learned that on the baritone uke that the 4 strings line up with the top 4 strings of a guitar, so I'll have an early head start on chords if I go with baritone. On the other hand...it's basically just a small guitar at that point, right?

That leads to an observation...wouldn't a 6 string ukelele just basically be a tiny guitar? Would the tuning be E-A-D-G-B-E on a 6 string uke?
Just ordered the Oscar-Schmidt OU2 package. Gig bag, tuner, instructional DVD, and a concert sized Uke. Should get it in 3 days! $99, free shipping.
Ukelele is for hipster girls. Take up the banjo. Or if you insist, the banjo-ukelele.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I ain't never heard of no ukelele.

Banjolele is at the top of things to buy though, I mostly play 20's and 30's pop on uke anyway, so a banjolele would make it better
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Aug 11, 2015,
^This guy knows.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
I got a Lanikai concert uke years ago pretty cheap and it still does the job. Sitting in my lap right now actually. Hindsight 20/20 I would've bought a tenor model, but this is fine.
#DTWD