Hi,

I recently got a different computer and don't have a firewire port anymore, so I am in the process of selling my Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DSP. So I'm converting to a USB based audio interface. I'm looking into the Focusrite scarlett line.

I was originally shooting for a Scarlett 6i6 (link: http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i...es/scarlett-6i6) but I was at a pawn shop and saw a Scarlett 18i6 for a good price (link: http://us.focusrite.com/usb-audio-i.../scarlett-18i6).

The most that I do is 2 guitars and 2 microphones at a time (for now, at least). The 6i6 is ~$200 used and I snagged the 18i6 used for $160.

My hesitation is 2 things:
1) Since the 18i6 is a discontinued model, will I have software issues in the near future? (So far so good with windows 10...)
2) The 18i6 effectively doesn't have a standalone mode

Opinions? Should I keep the 18i6? Should I get the 6i6? Should I get something completely different?
You should read the introduction to recording sticky.

If you want something big you might as well get something like a roland octa capture or studio capture.

I'd steer away from focusrite scarletts and saffires.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by 1120
H

1) Since the 18i6 is a discontinued model, will I have software issues in the near future? (So far so good with windows 10...)
2) The 18i6 effectively doesn't have a standalone mode

Opinions? Should I keep the 18i6? Should I get the 6i6? Should I get something completely different?

Probably down the line your interface won't be supported, since it is running Win10 I guess you're fine for now.
What do you need standalone mode for? To use as preamp?

I'd say keep that one for now if it runs smooth, $160 is not a big loss anyway and it currently is steady from what you're telling us, so why change?