Hey guys,

well, in all honesty this is "just another" 7 string thread. However, I felt like I needed to formulate my question a bit differently since I'm not set on a specific price range for a new guitar yet.

Situation:
I've been playing on an Ibanez RG 7321 for more than 10 years now (well, sometimes more and sometimes less) and really feel like I need something new. I replaced the bridge pickup a with Crunch Lab 7 recently, which was a really nice upgrade, but still I'm not completely happy with it any more. The intonation isn't perfect even with the best setup, especially on the B string; it doesn't seem to have as much "power" as I like; and frankly, I'm just getting bored of it .

Since I heard so much praise about that guitar and how it even compares to much more expensive instruments, I would like to know at what price range I should search for new instruments to really notice an improvement. Any specific recommendations would also be nice.

Some things to consider:
- I like tuning around a lot (switch to drop tuning for one song, maybe half a step down for the next, etc.), so I guess a fixed bridge is perferable. If Tremolo ones are better, I could live with that though and use my 7321 for alternate tunings.
- I don't want a pure "metal axe", but be able to be versatile, if that is an issue with some guitars

From my internet research, I was really liking the Ibanez Steve Vai Signature models sound-wise (not a fan, they just look awesome and sound good ), although that might have been just a nicer amp-setting/setup in comparison...always hard to say. The 7VWH especially looks stunningly beautiful, but I guess that one's a bit overpriced. UV70P seems nice though. Unfortunately those guitars would cause me much trouble with their tremolos I guess, so I'm not sure if that would be a good option.

So yeah, before I take my rambling too far...some recommendations from my basis would be really nice, especially since the sortiment of 7 strings isn't the greatest. I don't feel like switching back to a 6 string though, although I don't use the 7th fret that much. But it feels nice to have the option, even if it's just when jamming.

I heard much praise for Schecter and Carvin here, but since I'm in Germany Carvins don't seem to be an option. So would Schecter be the way to go? What models would be an improvement?

I'm not set on a price range yet, so theoretically I could imagine something between 1000 and 3000 bucks. Would prefer staying below 2000 though as I can't imagine instruments in that range to be that much of a downgrade in comparison. So I'd like to avoid paying unnecessary high amounts just for having "Petrucci" written on the thing or something similar.

--------------------------

Short version:
- Bored / Unhappy with RG 7321 (+ Crunch Lab 7) after 10+ years
- Looking for new guitar that is a clear improvement over that one
- Changing tunings a lot on a smaller scale (standard to drop, B to Bb...)
- Music: versatile (From Meshuggah to Rush to acoustic chords, better warm/singing for soloing than "hardcore" though)
- Possible price range: 1000-3000, would like to be closer to the lower range
- Non-American, so no Carvin

Thank you very much in advance!
I'd start looking for 7-strings meeting your stated goals with Carvin. Bowes also makes some nice 7s, though they may be more "shreddery" than you want.

Edit: missed the part about you being in Germany.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Aug 11, 2015,
PRS has some "non-metal" 7s that may be in your price range, especially used.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

The Ibanez S series is a fantastic aesthetic middle ground, they're round enough to look at home in any genre.

They've had a few fixed bridge Prestige models in the last couple years. I don't know how different the available models are in Germany, but check out the S5527QFX for instance, that's the fixed bridge 7 we have over in the US right now.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Hey, so, I'm going to be that guy.

I know you said you weren't looking to pay extra for someone's name on it, and I'm going to recommend looking at the Music Man Majesty for exactly that reason. Yes, Petrucci did design it and it is his guitar. No, you really are getting exactly as much guitar as you're paying for it.

I bought the 7 string one recently and it seems like a fantastic fit to what you're looking at. Schecter's have significantly thicker necks, which I feel is always the biggest difference moving between one of my Ibanez's to my Schecter. The Majesty is right between the two.

You clearly like the crunch lab pickups, since you added them to your RG7321; the illuminators in the Majesty are similar enough to get you that any type of metal sound with a whole lot more. The preamp in the guitar has gotten me more gain than I'll ever need and it cleans up incredibly well.

Finally, while it does have a floating trem, it does not have a locking bridge, so once again, it's a compromise between a floating trem and not. It's pretty easy to change the tuning when you have to (even though I really haven't significantly) and its tuning stability is fantastic.

Feel free to ignore this if you absolutely have your heart set on not a Petrucci guitar (I went into my last guitar hunt set against it because I didn't want to sound too much like him, but the more I looked and heard, the more I loved this guitar) but it is absolutely fantastic and you aren't paying any more for it than any other top end (non-custom) guitar. I've seen them on reverb and other sites used for $2000 before, I got mine scratch and dent for $1900 after tax, I have no idea how much they are in Europe.

And, to be honest, I have an RG321, I've played an RG7321, and any of the metalish guitars you can get in your price range (ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, Scheter, Music Man) is going to blow it out of the water. Best of luck.
Thank you so much for your answers!

So eyes set on models from Ibanez, PRS and Music Man. Honestly, I'm not sure about the PRS ones though, I just totally dislike how they look, although I often noticed I kind of like the sound due to the warmness they usually have.

Quote by Offworld92
The Ibanez S series is a fantastic aesthetic middle ground, they're round enough to look at home in any genre.

They've had a few fixed bridge Prestige models in the last couple years. I don't know how different the available models are in Germany, but check out the S5527QFX for instance, that's the fixed bridge 7 we have over in the US right now.

Exactly that model is actually available here. I'll see if I can find some sound examples. Sucks to not have stores to test them all out...
I also have to say I'm really starting to like the UV70P the more I see of it. So it could also be a consideration despite the tremolo, as the Ibanez line seems to get very good reviews.

Quote by tfizzle20
Hey, so, I'm going to be that guy.

And, to be honest, I have an RG321, I've played an RG7321, and any of the metalish guitars you can get in your price range (ESP, Ibanez, Jackson, Scheter, Music Man) is going to blow it out of the water. Best of luck.

Thank you so much for that huge post man.
I really don't doubt that the guitar is pretty much the best thing you can get, but honestly the price is just too high for a guitar (for me) in my opinion. Even the 3000$ I stated was something I wanted to avoid, and even that gets surpassed by that beast. A glance through ebay also doesn't lead me to believe I'd be able to get it for 2000 without any major issues or other bad surprises, but I'll check that again from time to time.
Don't get me wrong, I really like everything about the guitar (despite the appearance maybe) and when I was younger JP was the biggest idol to me, but the price just is too high, also considering that I'm not really that good of a player to take the most out of it. Maybe as some kind of ultimate reward after some years when I actually practice for longer periods and hit a milestone. Until then, I personally think that beast would be overkill.

Nice to hear that I can expect improvements in any case . I heard so much praise for the 7321 that I expected to have some kind of hidden gem in my room.
Last edited by XCrusherX at Aug 11, 2015,
One option that hasn't been discussed is going custom. Now, as an option, that is usually cheaper over here in the USA than in Europe, but you should still be able to find a builder making 7s in your price range...albeit probably on the higher end.

It's the surest way to ensure you get the look and versatility you want.

Another thing to consider is to get a well-made but less expensive 7 and simply swap the pickups.