Hey guys I recently bought a used fender Eric Clapton Signature start. The coated fretboard and the freakishly small vintage frets limits my playing a LOT. (As I owned a Gibson Les Paul)

The thing is that the friction the coating has again my fingers are giving me a significantly harder time when it comes to bending,vibrato and even sometimes when sliding.

So I'm planning on sanding the fretboard with a 1500 or 2000 sandpaper. Do you guys approve? Would this effect the reselling price? Can it go wrong?
It can go wrong. I think it would definitely affect any resale value but if you plan on it being a "keeper" then do what you want. Kind of sounds like it's not just that one issue and maybe you should consider just selling or trading it before you do this. That's a fairly expensive Strat to start customizing if you are not happy with it from the start.

To answer your question if you do decide to do it, I suggest you try buffing it lightly with a Scotch pad before you do the sandpaper thing. Go to any food store near the Brillo pads you'll see the green Scotch pads. They will remove most of the gloss very quickly and still leave the color of the finish. It's not as damaging as sandpaper. (I still don't think it's a good idea)
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Aug 11, 2015,
I wouldn't do that to such a guitar. To me that would be a point to not buy such a guitar specially for the money. On the other hand if it improves the playability of the guitar why not.
okay thanks man I'll try the scotch first. And it sounds so good, the playability is the only part thats bothering me haha
Last edited by gamer01 at Aug 11, 2015,
I'd sell the guitar, honestly.

The real problem you're having is with the frets being too small, not the fretboard being too sticky. There are thousands of strats like Eric Clapton's that are available to you at a comparable price to what you currently have, and they have larger fretwires. And you have a sizable budget to be able to afford a guitar like an Eric Clapton Strat. Doing the work you're planning to do is doing to heavily devalue it, and with a guitar so expensive, there is a lot of money to lose.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
probably not. why not go buy a replacement neck more to your liking? keep the original for when you sell it. then the ad can say "used ec fender strat with extra neck"
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 11, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

The real problem you're having is with the frets being too small, not the fretboard being too sticky. There are thousands of strats like Eric Clapton's that are available to you at a comparable price to what you currently have, and they have larger fretwires. And you have a sizable budget to be able to afford a guitar like an Eric Clapton Strat. Doing the work you're planning to do is doing to heavily devalue it, and with a guitar so expensive, there is a lot of money to lose.

Agreed. You bought the wrong guitar.

You're far better off to find another strat with a rosewood fretboard, larger size frets and a fretboard radius similar to your Gibson's (12" radius).
I get the point guys. I havn't started sanding yet and are there any other ways to make the fretboard more slippery? Like oils or products I can use
imo, greasy kid stuff is usually a bad idea on a fret board. gets under the frets and can cause them to lift over time. i suppose you can hose it down with fret ease if you have too?
Last edited by ad_works at Aug 12, 2015,
I like the idea ad works had about just buying a nice replacement neck. No harm done that way.
hey thanks guys for constant replies haha. About replacement necks, what should I get? Any recommendable brands, or should I get used Fender strat necks? I see Stewart-mcdonald necks have good ratings, heard of it?
Stewmac has some nice stuff. It's sometimes slightly more expensive than others but only a little and their reputation is good if there are any problems. I have used them often for parts and tools. Never bought a neck though.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Absolutely.

The EC is worth the money because it is what it is as a whole. Many crave the EC neck and yet it seems to be the bit you have an issue with.

The PUP's and mid boost circuit are relatively cheap replacements so get a Strat that you like the feel of and swap out its PUP's and fit a mid boost.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.