Page 1 of 4
My next door neighbour whom I share a wall with, plays the piano. Last night at 11:30pm. Just when I was nodding off to sleep, they started playing the piano. They're a decent piano player but I needed to sleep. This morning I wrote a note informing them of my concerns and posted it through their letterbox.

What would you do in this situation (beyond playing Taylor Swift really loudly at even later / earlier times obviously ). Bear in mind they appear to be an East Asian migrant family and I am a white British guy so cultural differences may apply.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Has anything happened since you posted the note?

If they've stopped, then why bother going further. If they haven't stopped, then your local council will probably have regulations about noise complaints and times etc. Get a copy of those, and be polite, knock on your neighbours door and just let them know that the noise is bugging you a bit, if they kick up a fuss, show them the regulation about noise and say if it continues, you may need to report it to the landlord.

If that doesn't work, then you are perfectly entitled to shit in their letterbox
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Aug 11, 2015,
Nah put the note through at 8am this morning on the way to work so I'll see what happens when I'm home

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
well, according to the results of my year 9 science fair project (which earned a distinction), if you nail 200 pairs of jeans to said wall, minimum sound will make it through; denim tested extremely well compared to samples of various other materials.

so carpeting the wall would actually work really well.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Do it the Godfather way.

Kill a horse, cut off its head and then while they're sleeping put the horses head in their bed.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Pastafarian96
well, according to the results of my year 9 science fair project (which earned a distinction), if you nail 200 pairs of jeans to said wall, minimum sound will make it through; denim tested extremely well compared to samples of various other materials.

so carpeting the wall would actually work really well.

Sadly I rent so can't decorate my room otherwise this would be a great idea

Quote by EndTheRapture51
This morning I wrote a note informing them of my concerns and posted it through their letterbox.

Why couldn't you simply walk over, knock on the door and address them with full eye-contact about your concerns?
Quote by Zaphikh
Why couldn't you simply walk over, knock on the door and address them with full eye-contact about your concerns?

Cos at 11:30 at night I just want to sleep

And at 8 in the morning they might not even be awake

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Cos at 11:30 at night I just want to sleep

No? You truly did not want to sleep if you're unwilling to face the music.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
And at 8 in the morning they might not even be awake

So you want to order them around at a distance, yeah? A faceless command?
I did not want to get up and dressed and go outside to have an angry go at someone at that point in the night I just wanted to sleep

Yeah. A faceless request to begin communications. It's a lot more diplomatic than me storming over in the middle of the night trying to barely control my rage, or a similar situation in the morning when I've got to get to work.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I did not want to get up and dressed and go outside to have an angry go at someone at that point in the night I just wanted to sleep

Why does it have to be angry? Can you not control yourself? If not, then what business do you have in controlling others?
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Yeah. A faceless request to begin communications. It's a lot more diplomatic than me storming over in the middle of the night trying to barely control my rage, or a similar situation in the morning when I've got to get to work.

Do you even know your neighbors names? If this is how you think people respectfully communicate with each other, then you've still got an imperialist mindset. Grow a pair, whitey.
Oh so you're trolling

Quote by EndTheRapture51
Oh so you're trolling

Not in the slightest. You want something for nothing, and it's just amusing to listen to you complain about it.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Sadly I rent so can't decorate my room otherwise this would be a great idea

get a shitload of double sided tape.

unless your wall would get glue stains, don't try that.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Zaphikh
Not in the slightest. You want something for nothing, and it's just amusing to listen to you complain about it.

What, do you expect me to pay my neighbor to shut up during times in which they should actually be quiet?

Quote by Nero Galon
Do it the Godfather way.

Kill a horse, cut off its head and then while they're sleeping put the horses head in their bed.

better yet in the piano
Quote by Zaphikh

It's also amusing watching someone trying to offer advice about being civil by being a cynical jackass.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by EndTheRapture51
What, do you expect me to pay my neighbor to shut up during times in which they should actually be quiet?

Please tell us how that plays out. You're playing dumb and you know it. You will think of every possible way to avoid direct communication (which will nip problems in the bud). That's your choice. You can nail jeans or egg cartons to your wall all day long if that helps, but at the end of the day, it just mean that you're their bitch.
Quote by Pastafarian96
It's also amusing watching someone trying to offer advice about being civil by being a cynical jackass.

I do what I can.

I've yet to be cynical in this discussion though. That's your own projection.
This literally has happened twice first time I gave them benefit of the doubt second time I gave them a note third time I'll actually go talk to them face to face, sounds like you're assuming an awful lot about the situation here maybe even projecting your deepest insecurities upon your perceived solution to the problem

Quote by Zaphikh
I do what I can.

I've yet to be cynical in this discussion though. That's your own projection.

yeah shit choice of words.

nice semi-trolling though.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by Zaphikh
No? You truly did not want to sleep if you're unwilling to face the music.

Douchey pseudo intellectual pychology rhetoric and a terrible pun?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
maybe even projecting your deepest insecurities upon your perceived solution to the problem

...which would be?

Look, next time you create a discussion about petty non-issues, I'll provide advice that will only further the pettiness (for our own amusement). It's apparent that you cannot swallow advice that isn't sugarcoated. That's a shame, and I hope your neighbors will go on to write beautiful music for the rest of their days.
Quote by theogonia777

Last edited by Zaphikh at Aug 11, 2015,
I don't know, you tell me, it's clear you have some insecurities.

I just thought I'd ask my friends and confidants in The Pit for their solutions, as we are a culturally diverse set of people and I'd get some good options and people could muck in and help one another. Shame you were so desperate for negative attention that you had to spoil the party

Look on the bright side, you get to listen to nice piano music right before bedtime honestly I wouldn't complain at all if it was just a piano lol
cat
You haven't been drifting off to sleep when the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune with odd sloppy dissonant notes starts playing at a rapidly changing tempo

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't know, you tell me, it's clear you have some insecurities.

I just thought I'd ask my friends and confidants in The Pit for their solutions, as we are a culturally diverse set of people and I'd get some good options and people could muck in and help one another. Shame you were so desperate for negative attention that you had to spoil the party

Ain't no partay like a pity partay cuz the piiity paaartay don't stop!
^ you're slipping
Quote by EndTheRapture51
You haven't been drifting off to sleep when the Pirates of the Caribbean theme tune with odd sloppy dissonant notes starts playing at a rapidly changing tempo

This is going to sound like total bullshit but, yeah I have.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

How was that for you

Do I live in your old room

I find that when I'm concerned about "going to sleep", I wouldn't be able to even in absolute dark/silence. Whenever I let go of the worry of not sleeping, I can doze through just about anything. A lot of it has to do with focusing on emptying your mind. The piano wouldn't be intrusive if you don't notice it, same as traffic/car alarms/big city stuff.

Quote by Zaphikh at #33543443
You will think of every possible way to avoid direct communication (which will nip problems in the bud). That's your choice. You can nail jeans or egg cartons to your wall all day long if that helps, but at the end of the day, it just mean that you're their bitch.

You call this offering some sort of emotional help? Cuz it's pretty dumb. For one, the implicit weakness of avoiding communication wouldn't be his "choice". That's grade A bullshit of putting the blame on someone you're describing as incapable of direct communication. It isn't advice, just blame-placing. Just as well, saying that he's their bitch straight outta nowhere makes this your problem, not his. This is just humbug.

I dislike Rapture's pretense as much as the next guy, anyway. But lol he barely said a thing in this thread for you to pretend he somehow said it all.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 11, 2015,
Quote by EndTheRapture51
How was that for you

Do I live in your old room

it was by far one of, if not the worst drunken experience I've ever had, trying to fall asleep on someone's couch while some twat is trying to play that ****ing song on a clapped out 120 year old piano.

However that was only one time.

Also tell them to use the practice pedal, all good pianos have a pedal that moves the hammers right up close to the strings and makes them play quietly.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Quote by ali.guitarkid7
You call this offering some sort of emotional help? Cuz it's pretty dumb. For one, the implicit weakness of avoiding communication wouldn't be his "choice". That's grade A bullshit of putting the blame on someone you're describing as incapable of direct communication. It isn't advice, just blame-placing. Just as well, saying that he's their bitch straight outta nowhere makes this your problem, not his. This is just humbug.

No Ali, if he seriously nailed jeans and egg cartons to his wall as a means to cope, then he is rightfully their bitch. There is little discussion to be had about this.
I dislike Rapture's pretense as much as the next guy, anyway. But lol he barely said a thing in this thread for you to pretend he somehow said it all.

What more needs to be said? Seriously?
Quote by Zaphikh at #33543481
No Ali, if he seriously nailed jeans and egg cartons to his wall as a means to cope, then he is rightfully their bitch. There is little discussion to be had about this.

But that's actually a pretty damn effective way to deal with the problem. Not jeans, that's insane (although, could be a neat design). But insulating his flat in some way would be a great solution. Neighbors can play whenever they want, he can play whenever he wants, and they can both sleep whenever.

He's not incapable of confronting them, there's absolutely no evidence for that incapacity other than the note, which is flimsy at best because there's no actual evidence of how he abstracts the note. He avoided talking about what it means cuz it's a friggin' note, no one thinks too deeply about that. I know that doesn't make it meaningless, but you can't expect him to reveal his innermost fears by his description of sending a letter. It's just not something he'd be aware of. Most people wouldn't.

What more needs to be said? Seriously?

A lot if you hadn't pointed out any of this. Now he'll either answer to spite you or with awareness/fear of image.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
But that's actually a pretty damn effective way to deal with the problem.

It certainly is.
Not jeans, that's insane (although, could be a neat design). But insulating his flat in some way would be a great solution. Neighbors can play whenever they want, he can play whenever he wants, and they can both sleep whenever.

Sure. It still does not negate the fact that he has to spend his own time and resources to accommodate his neighbors behaviors. He is the one who must put in time and work to bring about normalcy, not his neighbors. If that isn't the simple definition of being someone else's bitch, then we simply have a misunderstanding in our use of language.
He's not incapable of confronting them, there's absolutely no evidence for that incapacity other than the note, which is flimsy at best because there's no actual evidence of how he abstracts the note. He avoided talking about what it means cuz it's a friggin' note, no one thinks too deeply about that. I know that doesn't make it meaningless, but you can't expect him to reveal his innermost fears by his description of sending a letter. It's just not something he'd be aware of. Most people wouldn't.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm being serious, I've read this block of text three times now and can't make sense of it. Nobody, as far as I can tell, has asked for him to reveal his innermost fears.
A lot if you hadn't pointed out any of this. Now he'll either answer to spite you or with awareness/fear of image.

He's free to do as he wishes. He wanted diversity, yeah? Well he got it.

diversity =/= coddling
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Not jeans, that's insane

**** you that experiment was deemed scientifically valid by my teachers, I proved that denim has high sound proofing capability compared with volume used. Of course actually nailing jeans to the wall wouldn't do it properly, but cutting them up and having a denim covered wall would block most of the sound and unlike the egg cartons, would only take a few millimetres of space (realistically, that's negligible too).
A poem.
Quote by yoman297

Well I've learned two things from this thread. One, that the saying is 'nip' it in the bud, not the kinkier version 'butt', and two, denim for sound proofing; who knew?
Quote by EndTheRapture51

I think I would rather enjoy that actually I can't get to sleep without any background noise - I'm glad I live near a fire station/hospital - so while this might be startling to me at first I would probably fall asleep after a few minutes anyway

Still, everyone's different and if it bothers you, you are certainly entitled to ask them to play the piano at some other time of day.
cat
Quote by Zaphikh at #33543492
It certainly is.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic.

Sure. It still does not negate the fact that he has to spend his own time and resources to accommodate his neighbors behaviors. He is the one who must put in time and work to bring about normalcy, not his neighbors. If that isn't the simple definition of being someone else's bitch, then we simply have a misunderstanding in our use of language.

That's true, but you can also see it as a bunch of foresights and empathies. Hell, I'd love to play my music whatever damn time of night I want. If my neighbor went "it's fine cuz I insulated my apartment" I'd be like come here you bundle of hugs and lemme add another hug to that bundle so now it's a bundle of hugs plus one more hug.

At any case, if it is a sign of weakness, why prey on it? He wasn't crappy about it, he didn't say something like "My shitty neighbors playing their shitty piano and now I have to write them a letter".

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. I'm being serious, I've read this block of text three times now and can't make sense of it. Nobody, as far as I can tell, has asked for him to reveal his innermost fears.

Like, the note in itself won't say anything to us about what it means to him. Everyone abstracts things in one way or another despite their physically existing as independent of meaning. If we're talking his view as subject, wouldn't him talking bout how he feels about the note be a necessity to determining what the note represents in this context? Because so far the statements are: wrote note [so as not to disturb them] (the latter part of that sentence is bullshit, but wtv), and did not have opportunity to face them directly. We just don't know enough about it yet.

He's free to do as he wishes. He wanted diversity, yeah? Well he got it.

diversity =/= coddling

Yeah but this =/= you expounding cold hard coddle-free truth

Quote by Pastafarian96 at #33543497
**** you that experiment was deemed scientifically valid by my teachers, I proved that denim has high sound proofing capability compared with volume used. Of course actually nailing jeans to the wall wouldn't do it properly, but cutting them up and having a denim covered wall would block most of the sound and unlike the egg cartons, would only take a few millimetres of space (realistically, that's negligible too).

Buying denim from a textile market would be cheaper. It's just the image of someone leaving H&M with a truckload of jeans to nail on his wall is ridiculous to me. It's like taking three left turns to take a right.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Aug 11, 2015,
This thread should just be about sleeping in general now because when you’re worried about “crap I need 8 hours sleep for tomorrow and it’s already 11 bloody hell” then you never get to sleep at all or get poor sleep and lots of little things distracting you eg. Piano playing but if you’re not worried about sleeping at all you just sleep but that requires a Buddha level mind

Page 1 of 4